The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

more newbie questions

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
jayo
Pandinus

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2010-02-19

more newbie questions Empty
PostSubject: more newbie questions   more newbie questions Empty2/24/2010, 10:14 am

im just wondering what kind of lighting i can use in my enclosure,so its not harmful to the scorpion?
it has to be 18" tube.

also what do you use to clean glass in tank so its not harmfull to the scorp?
thanks
Back to top Go down
Sithis
Centruroides
Sithis

Number of posts : 196
Registration date : 2010-02-09

PostSubject: Re: more newbie questions   more newbie questions Empty2/24/2010, 11:25 am

You dont really need lighting. In the wild an emp will probly never see sunlight. I dont have lights on mine. Just a false bottom and a heat pad on the side. The heat pad cost me about $35.00-US and the false bottom was pretty much free.

To clean the glass I just use a paper towel for the inside (hardly ever gets dirty) and on the outside I use a little bit of windex on a paper towel. Dont spray the glass with it B/C you might get it into the cage
Back to top Go down
binksyboy3
Androctonus
binksyboy3

Number of posts : 1690
Registration date : 2009-03-05

PostSubject: Re: more newbie questions   more newbie questions Empty2/24/2010, 12:46 pm

I don't use bulbs either,but if you insist, then get an infra-red one because they can't see red light.
Back to top Go down
anemiaffx
Tityus
anemiaffx

Number of posts : 635
Registration date : 2010-01-26

PostSubject: Re: more newbie questions   more newbie questions Empty2/24/2010, 1:14 pm

Well i would say just use water or even some hot water for the inside of the tank but like sithis said, it doesnt really get dirty. And if you provide a good enough hide to where they can hide completly away from the light, you can use any light you would like besides a black light because UV messes them up long term. Because i use a normal 18" bulb inside of my tank and it heats my tank up as well. And i have it on a timer so it turns on and off on its own which is pretty cool. But i have such a dark hide, that i cant even see them inside of it when i lean down and look so i kno its really dark and the light wont effect them.
Back to top Go down
Sithis
Centruroides
Sithis

PostSubject: Re: more newbie questions   more newbie questions Empty2/24/2010, 2:23 pm

Yeah I cant see mine either. Theyre like having a pet hole. Every couple of days I will find poop inside and just clean it with tissue (Throw away the surrounding substrate) . I saw some pedipalps yesterday but I needed a flashlight to see them though.
Back to top Go down
anemiaffx
Tityus
anemiaffx

PostSubject: Re: more newbie questions   more newbie questions Empty2/24/2010, 3:02 pm

Lol you clean the poop with a tissue?
Back to top Go down
Sithis
Centruroides
Sithis

PostSubject: Re: more newbie questions   more newbie questions Empty2/24/2010, 5:07 pm

lmao yeah. I cant help but laugh aloud here at work now that I realize how funny it sounds. What do you use?
Back to top Go down
anemiaffx
Tityus
anemiaffx

PostSubject: Re: more newbie questions   more newbie questions Empty2/24/2010, 6:05 pm

i dont use anything. i just smear it into the ground or cover it... After a few months, i will churn the coco fibers around and mix it up so its all stired up. After about 6 months or more of the same fibers, ill just buy new stuff.
Back to top Go down
Sithis
Centruroides
Sithis

PostSubject: Re: more newbie questions   more newbie questions Empty2/24/2010, 7:48 pm

I will still change my strate but I dont want any smells or parasites in my tank
Back to top Go down
anemiaffx
Tityus
anemiaffx

PostSubject: Re: more newbie questions   more newbie questions Empty2/24/2010, 11:15 pm

lol it wont smell....
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: more newbie questions   more newbie questions Empty

Back to top Go down

more newbie questions
Page 1 of 1