The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

Species ID confirmation – Lychas and Opistophthalmus

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
LXDNG79
Tityus
LXDNG79

Number of posts : 605
Registration date : 2008-10-16

Species ID confirmation – Lychas and Opistophthalmus Empty
PostSubject: Species ID confirmation – Lychas and Opistophthalmus   Species ID confirmation – Lychas and Opistophthalmus Empty10/26/2009, 4:52 am

Hey guys I need some confirmation/opinions for these scorps I just received a couple of weeks ago...

Mystery Scorpionid: a friend of mine guesses it to be Opistophthalmus boehmi.
Species ID confirmation – Lychas and Opistophthalmus Opistophthalmus
Here’s another shot with more definition on the details but under the warm light the color is a bit off {sorry}
Species ID confirmation – Lychas and Opistophthalmus Opistophthalmussp2
Anyone’s guess is better than mine...

and now... Two very Decorated Lychas: No.1
Species ID confirmation – Lychas and Opistophthalmus Lychasinf

and No.2
Species ID confirmation – Lychas and Opistophthalmus Lychasinf2

The delis make it kinda blurry... Here's a clearer shot of the telson
Species ID confirmation – Lychas and Opistophthalmus Lychasinfuscatus5

Pics on the net veers me towards Lychas infuscatus. Anyone have an argument for marmoreus?
Back to top Go down
Rasputin
Parabuthus

Number of posts : 1051
Registration date : 2008-03-12

PostSubject: Re: Species ID confirmation – Lychas and Opistophthalmus   Species ID confirmation – Lychas and Opistophthalmus Empty10/26/2009, 4:59 am

I'm going to confirm your first as an O. boehmi, a very muddy (assuming wild caught) one.
And, I'll confirm L. infuscatus for the second. It lacks the markings down the center of the metasomal segments that are prominent in L. marmoreus.

P.S. where did you get them?
Back to top Go down
LXDNG79
Tityus
LXDNG79

PostSubject: Re: Species ID confirmation – Lychas and Opistophthalmus   Species ID confirmation – Lychas and Opistophthalmus Empty10/26/2009, 5:26 am

Rasputin wrote:
I'm going to confirm your first as an O. boehmi, a very muddy (assuming wild caught) one.
And, I'll confirm L. infuscatus for the second. It lacks the markings down the center of the metasomal segments that are prominent in L. marmoreus.

P.S. where did you get them?

Thanks for the quick and stern certainty Rasputin.... that puts my doubts to eternal rest... These scorps were imported from Hong Kong. Over there, the make up their own names for IDs of species. I was told the O. boehmi was sold among a bunch of Scorpio maurus in a pet store and that the Lychas were too small for the frying pan so they were given away (to us luckily).
Back to top Go down
Rasputin
Parabuthus

PostSubject: Re: Species ID confirmation – Lychas and Opistophthalmus   Species ID confirmation – Lychas and Opistophthalmus Empty10/26/2009, 5:40 am

LXDNG79 wrote:
I was told the O. boehmi was sold among a bunch of Scorpio maurus in a pet store and that the Lychas were too small for the frying pan so they were given away (to us luckily).

L. infuscatus is a really common scorp in the trade down there. Them, and Lychas mucronatus.

Damn, now I'm gonna be stuck on that, I totally forgot that Scorpio maurus palmatus was an option - if I had known that you got them from China first, that's what I would have said as they are also really popular down there. For now, I'm going to retract my initial I.D. of O. boehmi and say that it is very likely to be an S.mp. They look a bit alike but the regions don't point to O. boehmi. Ugh, I can't believe I didn't think of that.

You're welcome. Sorry to have pulled the trigger before asking questions on that first scorp.
Back to top Go down
LXDNG79
Tityus
LXDNG79

PostSubject: Re: Species ID confirmation – Lychas and Opistophthalmus   Species ID confirmation – Lychas and Opistophthalmus Empty10/26/2009, 6:12 am

Rasputin wrote:
LXDNG79 wrote:
I was told the O. boehmi was sold among a bunch of Scorpio maurus in a pet store and that the Lychas were too small for the frying pan so they were given away (to us luckily).

L. infuscatus is a really common scorp in the trade down there. Them, and Lychas mucronatus.

Damn, now I'm gonna be stuck on that, I totally forgot that Scorpio maurus palmatus was an option - if I had known that you got them from China first, that's what I would have said as they are also really popular down there. For now, I'm going to retract my initial I.D. of O. boehmi and say that it is very likely to be an S.mp. They look a bit alike but the regions don't point to O. boehmi. Ugh, I can't believe I didn't think of that.

You're welcome. Sorry to have pulled the trigger before asking questions on that first scorp.

Well your initial guess could still be right, cos they sell emps there too... strangely enough they say they don't taste very good... Bang Head

Razz I totally understand on the trigger, I share your sentiments... but unfortunately there's nothing we can do about it... Me and bunch of friends are doing captive breeding just because we feel its the right thing to do. Sad

But when WC is way cheaper here. Our noble efforts are practically invisible... even absurdly stupid... cos its costing us rather than rewarding.... Evil or Very Mad but since we captive breed, we don't have to always keep buying from pet stores that hurl in WC motherloads.... Twisted Evil

Most people here only care about money... for them money makes everything 'right.' but its like that in so many places with human beings... even in your neck of the woods
lol!

cheers; peace
Back to top Go down
Rasputin
Parabuthus

PostSubject: Re: Species ID confirmation – Lychas and Opistophthalmus   Species ID confirmation – Lychas and Opistophthalmus Empty10/26/2009, 6:31 am

Well, if you can get some well lit shots from different angles, especially of the pedipalps - I would be able to give a firmer I.D. on that one.
Back to top Go down
rafiqos
Centruroides
rafiqos

Number of posts : 104
Registration date : 2008-04-21

PostSubject: Re: Species ID confirmation – Lychas and Opistophthalmus   Species ID confirmation – Lychas and Opistophthalmus Empty10/27/2009, 5:19 am

Guess my little guesstimates were not very convincing huh Alex? Lol!
Back to top Go down
http://www.flickr.com/rafiqos
Rasputin
Parabuthus

PostSubject: Re: Species ID confirmation – Lychas and Opistophthalmus   Species ID confirmation – Lychas and Opistophthalmus Empty10/27/2009, 6:12 am

Alex, if Raf called out those id's for you, you can trust he's got them marked right, he's a good egg and been around for a while. If he's not absolutely certain, you know he'll mention it.

rafiqos wrote:
Guess my little guesstimates were not very convincing huh Alex? Lol!

Hey Raf, I didn't put 2+2 together tonight that it was this Alex you mentioned; his sn is all caps so I confused him with someone else - Obviously, him and I have been conversant recently. I ought to be memorizing everybody's sn and name.

Don't worry Alex, we didn't say anything important or bad, we were just catching up on old times and your name came up - apparently I didn't put 2+2 together and thought of a different person because Raf had your sn lowercased and I said I hadn't talked to you in over a year.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Species ID confirmation – Lychas and Opistophthalmus   Species ID confirmation – Lychas and Opistophthalmus Empty

Back to top Go down

Species ID confirmation – Lychas and Opistophthalmus
Page 1 of 1