The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

Double Level Terrarium

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
The Sandman
Pandinus
The Sandman

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2009-10-24

Double Level Terrarium Empty
PostSubject: Double Level Terrarium   Double Level Terrarium Empty10/24/2009, 9:55 pm

Hey everyone. I'm relatively new to the scorpion world.... in as much to say i dont have any scorps until couple weeks time. I'm building the habitat and wondered if this would work or would it be a problem.......

A double level terrarium (basically 2x 4ft long terrariums, one on top of the other with the top cut through on one and bottom cut on the other) would it be wise if i had one level for say Hadrurus arizonensis, sandy environment, and then the second level for say Pandinus imperator, forest type environment?

or am i being completely mad and this would never work for god knows how many reasons??? Question
Back to top Go down
Rasputin
Parabuthus

Number of posts : 1051
Registration date : 2008-03-12

PostSubject: Re: Double Level Terrarium   Double Level Terrarium Empty10/24/2009, 10:20 pm

First step (this is how I design, engineer and re-engineer everything), grab some graph paper, write the dimensions of the enclosures you're working with at the top and then scale it and draw it up. You can decide what you think of it conceptually from there. Post drawings here and I'm sure you'll get a better response.

I can vaguely picture what you are talking about but a concept like this would be easier to understand if it were drawn out.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

Number of posts : 7743
Registration date : 2008-02-06

PostSubject: Re: Double Level Terrarium   Double Level Terrarium Empty10/24/2009, 11:33 pm

Tanks can get pretty heavy, especially with lots of damp substrate (such as an emp tank), or lots of sand (such as in an Hadrurus tank).

I can't say I'd recommend this as being a good idea -- I'd also be concerned about the emp tank making the desert tank too humid, and I'd wonder about how you'd access the bottom tank.
Back to top Go down
Rasputin
Parabuthus

PostSubject: Re: Double Level Terrarium   Double Level Terrarium Empty10/24/2009, 11:36 pm

Mr. Mordax wrote:
Tanks can get pretty heavy, especially with lots of damp substrate (such as an emp tank), or lots of sand (such as in an Hadrurus tank).

I can't say I'd recommend this as being a good idea -- I'd also be concerned about the emp tank making the desert tank too humid, and I'd wonder about how you'd access the bottom tank.

I was picturing something like a tier system based on what little info was presented. Initially i thought "no" too but it depends on how he designs it - C'mon Mike, you're an engineer aren't you? Anything can be designed, look at the Crystal Cathedrals for instance.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

PostSubject: Re: Double Level Terrarium   Double Level Terrarium Empty10/25/2009, 12:27 am

Sure, I'm an engineer, but not every hobbyist is. Razz How do I know if the Sandman has taken statics? Or transport phenomena (relevant to the humidity issue).
Back to top Go down
Rasputin
Parabuthus

PostSubject: Re: Double Level Terrarium   Double Level Terrarium Empty10/25/2009, 1:01 am

Touche, you have a point. But still, I can't write his ideas off as completely ludicrous, based logically on what you just said - we know nothing about what he may know or if he, like me, studies every possible angle before proceeding with a project (this is how I redesign my cars and motorcycles and how I designed those enclosures I was talking about in the spring of last year). I'm just giving the benefit of the doubt - I guess I've softened up a bit (I'm going to hold back on giving the really annoying noob questions the time of day now too because I have a hard time not being a bit rough when I reply to stuff like "different scorps in one cage?"). So, all in all, I plan on encouraging noobs to the furtherance and strengthening of our hobby - so long as they approach it responsibly. I have said my peace.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

PostSubject: Re: Double Level Terrarium   Double Level Terrarium Empty10/25/2009, 1:50 am

Well then, I eagerly await the OP's rough schematic.

Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Rasputin
Parabuthus

PostSubject: Re: Double Level Terrarium   Double Level Terrarium Empty10/25/2009, 1:52 am

Mr. Mordax wrote:
Well then, I eagerly await the OP's rough schematic.

Very Happy

That's the spirit ...::Insert A Thumbs Up Emote Here::...
Back to top Go down
LXDNG79
Tityus
LXDNG79

Number of posts : 605
Registration date : 2008-10-16

PostSubject: Re: Double Level Terrarium   Double Level Terrarium Empty11/28/2009, 9:22 pm

I've thought about it before and applaud the idea, though I'd worry to house Hadrurus or any burrowing desert scorpion which requires considerable substrate depth because it can getr pretty heavy and the strength will wane over time.

If your aim is have a desert enclosure on top with a glass bottom capable of viewing tunnel systems then I would recommend thick Plexiglas that will hold that weight. Alternately if subterranean viewing is not a prerogative then you should ensure the base of the top enclosure will sustain those needs. Additionally, the integrity of the enclosure under should be strong enough not to buckle under the combined weight. Remember to take into account that you might mist or wet the substrate in the above enclosure which will then incur more weight to bear for the lower section.

If you intend to house desert species with reasonably shallow substrate, like Leiurus or Androctonus then the weight factor is less of a problem. Meeting it halfway would be to house Hadogenes but go easy on the slate slabs.

If you wish the two systems to cycle atmostphere and temperature conditions in a dynamic self sustaining temperature and humidity regulator... oh boy you got your research cut out for you. Your species choice will be important as some desert species may develop really serious problems in conditions more humid than they are adapted to i.e. mycosis.

Even if the systems are to be absolutely segregated still, you still might worry about leakage. All the above will come down to the intended size of this one of a kind project... I foresee small and massive dimensions to be plausible but the middle range will put your materials to the test... Especially if you're not to keen about a steel frame bordering all the edges of the enclosure to fortify its integrity.

Those are my thoughts on that, half of which is stating quite the obvious, but I hope it gives you something to begin with...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Double Level Terrarium   Double Level Terrarium Empty

Back to top Go down

Double Level Terrarium
Page 1 of 1