The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchRegisterMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
ChatBox

Share | 

How to differentiate the humidity level(without the hydrometer)?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
liette
Centruroides

Number of posts : 185
Registration date : 2008-02-25

PostSubject: How to differentiate the humidity level(without the hydrometer)?   4/13/2008, 4:16 am

roughly, anyone?

I'm getting 3 Lychas Mucronatus and they require 75-80% humidity.

I've also got 4 Heterometrus Sp. and they require 90% humidity.

How exactly do you differentiate between the two?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Venom
Centruroides suffusus

Number of posts : 2834
Registration date : 2008-02-05

PostSubject: Re: How to differentiate the humidity level(without the hydrometer)?   4/13/2008, 9:34 am

Het's don't technically need constnat 90's they can do well in 80's as well. Just boost it to 90 once in a while.
Moist ground is good for high humidty dwellers.
70% dwellers I mist once a day, and since I have them in covered containers the moisture does not escape.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Athlon2k2
Tityus

Number of posts : 619
Registration date : 2008-02-06

PostSubject: Re: How to differentiate the humidity level(without the hydrometer)?   4/13/2008, 2:44 pm

I agree with Venom. You can usually just feel the susbstrate. If it is moist then it will be in the range you need it to be. I only use on digital hydrometer for one of my tropical enclosures and if the rest of the enclosures are about as moist then I know I'm good. I just found a hydro/temp digital gauge at home depot for $9. My analog hydro/temp from Petco was $12 and they are horribly inaccurate.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
~Abyss~
Administrator

Number of posts : 6472
Registration date : 2008-02-05

PostSubject: Re: How to differentiate the humidity level(without the hydrometer)?   4/14/2008, 12:07 am

agreed I NEVER check humidity I just touch it my substrate and feel it out. Thats the best technique. But you can buy a DIGITAL thermometer/hydrometer if you want to be accurate although not neccesary.
-Eddy
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://scorpionforum.darkbb.com
liette
Centruroides

Number of posts : 185
Registration date : 2008-02-25

PostSubject: Re: How to differentiate the humidity level(without the hydrometer)?   4/14/2008, 7:33 am

i know. i just wanna know what is within the range of 70% .. and 90%.. for 90% i heard if you squeeze the soil n water comes out, its good. as for 70%? wet but no water when u squeeze it? =/
Back to top Go down
View user profile
freeman
Centruroides

Number of posts : 128
Registration date : 2008-03-19

PostSubject: Re: How to differentiate the humidity level(without the hydrometer)?   4/14/2008, 11:06 am

it's a air humidity level so it depends also on air flow. if you have good ventilated containers you can have a little more moisture in the substrate, but it will dry faster. if airflow is poor then moisture will last longer. for mucronatus i pour some water to the ground when the top layer looks dry. and then i let it dry again for about a week. and so on. i think they have somewhere 60-90% this way with the average around 75-80%. o and i keep mine on 3/4 sand and 1/4 coco fiber.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How to differentiate the humidity level(without the hydrometer)?   

Back to top Go down

How to differentiate the humidity level(without the hydrometer)?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum! :: The Scorpion's Lair :: Scorpions In General-
Jump to: