The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

Canadian Scorpion Laws?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
galaxy_junk
Pandinus

Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2009-03-26

Canadian Scorpion Laws? Empty
PostSubject: Canadian Scorpion Laws?   Canadian Scorpion Laws? Empty7/14/2009, 12:43 pm

I live in Ontario, Canada, and cannot find out much information on what (if any species) of scorpions are illegal to keep or require any sort of permit or license. Does anyone have this information?

I checked my local by-laws, there is a A BY-LAW TO REGULATE ANIMALS - in which is states,

Snakes, Tarantulas, Scorpions and other Spiders
4.15 No person shall carry or display a snake, scorpion, tarantula, or other spider on
any highway or in any public place or other place to which the public is customarily
admitted except in accordance with sections 4.16 and 4.17.
4.16 A snake, scorpion, tarantula, or other spider may be carried or displayed in:
(1) an educational institution or research facility where such animals are
housed or studied;
(2) an educational or entertainment display, including a circus or zoo, that is
supervised at all times by a qualified handler;
(3) a veterinary hospital or clinic, and
(4) the premises of a pet store which holds a business license with the City.
4.17 Every person who needs to transport or carry a snake, scorpion, tarantula, or other
spider on any highway or in any public place or other place to which the public is
customarily admitted shall, while it is being carried or transported, confine the
snake, scorpion, tarantula, or other spider in a cloth bag which has been placed inside a box made of durable material with a lid that has been fastened securely,
provided that the animal has sufficient air to breathe.

So according to this, and assuming there is no provincial or federal laws/acts, any species can be legally kept in my area?
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

Number of posts : 7743
Registration date : 2008-02-06

PostSubject: Re: Canadian Scorpion Laws?   Canadian Scorpion Laws? Empty7/15/2009, 1:04 am

Sounds about like it.
Back to top Go down
corpselight
Babycurus

Number of posts : 251
Registration date : 2008-08-08

PostSubject: Re: Canadian Scorpion Laws?   Canadian Scorpion Laws? Empty7/15/2009, 7:55 am

it almost sounds like you can't keep them at all, unless you're a zoo or shop!

stupid Canada (i am from there so don't start haha)
Back to top Go down
Kejser
Administrator
Kejser

Number of posts : 1373
Registration date : 2008-02-06

PostSubject: Re: Canadian Scorpion Laws?   Canadian Scorpion Laws? Empty7/15/2009, 9:21 am

corpselight wrote:
it almost sounds like you can't keep them at all, unless you're a zoo or shop!

stupid Canada (i am from there so don't start haha)

Its legal to keep scorps in canada, the law he posted doesnt say anything about privat persons cant keep scorpions and it seems like you can keep all sp of scorpion too
Back to top Go down
chevy_power427
Centruroides
chevy_power427

Number of posts : 128
Registration date : 2008-11-05

PostSubject: Re: Canadian Scorpion Laws?   Canadian Scorpion Laws? Empty7/27/2009, 10:15 pm

I live in Canada, more precisely in Quebec, and never heard any laws about them. I have seen shops selling deathstalkers and Androctonus for like 30$, they don't ask for anything whatsoever, of course some are carefull to who they sell. I guess that there isn't really a law about having them, the only thing is that the owner is responsible for any harm they cause.
What scorpions do you have a hold on?? There isn't a lot of species in my market around here, I have to keep my eyes open all the time, in case there is a opportunity that shows up.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Canadian Scorpion Laws?   Canadian Scorpion Laws? Empty

Back to top Go down

Canadian Scorpion Laws?
Page 1 of 1