The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

When is it time to eat?

Go down 
+3
scorpion111
Mr. Mordax
binksyboy3
7 posters
AuthorMessage
binksyboy3
Androctonus
binksyboy3

Number of posts : 1690
Registration date : 2009-03-05

When is it time to eat? Empty
PostSubject: When is it time to eat?   When is it time to eat? Empty3/28/2009, 4:05 pm

One of my emperors (the male) has not eaten for over two weeks. I understand that they can fast for ages and that there is nothing to worry about but he is very very thin and i was just wondering if there were any signs that he might show if he feels hungry?
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

Number of posts : 7743
Registration date : 2008-02-06

PostSubject: Re: When is it time to eat?   When is it time to eat? Empty3/28/2009, 4:16 pm

It's called the "feed me" pose -- hanging out in the burrow with open pinchers sticking out the entrance.

binksyboy3 wrote:
I understand that they can fast for ages and that there is nothing to worry about

Then why worry? Very Happy They'll eat when they want to eat.
Back to top Go down
scorpion111
Post-whore
scorpion111

Number of posts : 3455
Registration date : 2008-04-07

PostSubject: Re: When is it time to eat?   When is it time to eat? Empty3/28/2009, 6:14 pm

don't worry about it man. Smile

he'll be fine. males are quite prone to fasting, they are more focused on finding some lovin' then having a feast. I had a female fast for well over a year on me.
Back to top Go down
diabollicallycursed
Babycurus
diabollicallycursed

Number of posts : 365
Registration date : 2009-03-26

PostSubject: Re: When is it time to eat?   When is it time to eat? Empty3/28/2009, 6:18 pm

[quote="Mr. Mordax"]It's called the "feed me" pose -- hanging out in the burrow with open pinchers sticking out the entrance.
So does that mean my H.spin is ALWAYS hungry if he always has his claws sticking out from under his log?
Back to top Go down
scorpion111
Post-whore
scorpion111

PostSubject: Re: When is it time to eat?   When is it time to eat? Empty3/28/2009, 6:22 pm

probably lol. scorps like to stuff thier faces then fast for ages. I prefer to just keep them on a steady diet at a good weight.
Back to top Go down
diabollicallycursed
Babycurus
diabollicallycursed

PostSubject: Re: When is it time to eat?   When is it time to eat? Empty3/28/2009, 6:25 pm

I feed him 1 big cricket every second day.
Back to top Go down
scorpion111
Post-whore
scorpion111

PostSubject: Re: When is it time to eat?   When is it time to eat? Empty3/28/2009, 6:26 pm

wow, that's quite a diet. I feed my *younger* scorpions quite alot too.. they process everything pretty fast.

eat, digest, poop, eat, digest, poop.. forever..
Back to top Go down
diabollicallycursed
Babycurus
diabollicallycursed

PostSubject: Re: When is it time to eat?   When is it time to eat? Empty3/28/2009, 6:30 pm

Is that too much for him he's like 6 months old? and fairly big about 4 1/2 inches.
Back to top Go down
scorpion111
Post-whore
scorpion111

PostSubject: Re: When is it time to eat?   When is it time to eat? Empty3/28/2009, 6:37 pm

nothing is too much.. as long as your scorp doesnt get MASSIVE. but it will eventually fast.
Back to top Go down
diabollicallycursed
Babycurus
diabollicallycursed

PostSubject: Re: When is it time to eat?   When is it time to eat? Empty3/28/2009, 6:43 pm

ok good to know. I saw some pics of overfed emps they look hilarious but I feel bad for them at the same time.
Back to top Go down
binksyboy3
Androctonus
binksyboy3

Number of posts : 1690
Registration date : 2009-03-05

PostSubject: Re: When is it time to eat?   When is it time to eat? Empty3/28/2009, 6:54 pm

I feed my 2 emps 1 cricket every 1-2 weeks. But now they both refuse. He is really thin and she is quite heavily gravid.
Back to top Go down
scorpion111
Post-whore
scorpion111

PostSubject: Re: When is it time to eat?   When is it time to eat? Empty3/28/2009, 7:17 pm

I don't think obesity affects adult scorpions to much, but I think it can cause moulting problems in younger scorps.
Back to top Go down
*Connie*
Post-whore
*Connie*

Number of posts : 3705

PostSubject: Re: When is it time to eat?   When is it time to eat? Empty3/28/2009, 9:27 pm

A scorpion will refuse food when no longer hungry. If your scorpion is in the "feed me" pose then offer food, if the food still remains after 24 hours, remove the item and try again in a few days.

But seriously, they do fast. Ive even had them in the pose and still refuse for weeks. They like to play with us
Back to top Go down
http://healingfromwithin.heavenforum.com/index.htm
SickOfYou
Hadogenes

Number of posts : 83
Registration date : 2009-01-26

PostSubject: Re: When is it time to eat?   When is it time to eat? Empty3/29/2009, 12:19 am

huh never thought of it as "feed me" position
I knew it was some form of hunting, then that means my male and newest female is always hungry. Maybe ill up there diet it is gettin warmer here
Back to top Go down
bjaeger
Leiurus
bjaeger

Number of posts : 2282
Registration date : 2008-04-29

PostSubject: Re: When is it time to eat?   When is it time to eat? Empty3/29/2009, 4:23 pm

Scorps with bigger chela will typically hide and wait for food, hence the "feed me" pose. I believe they do that so they don't exert any extra energy. Scorps with smaller chela tend to hunt on-the-run b/c their chela isn't weighing them down.

I believe I read something like that on an Aussie scorp site.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/brandonjaeger
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

PostSubject: Re: When is it time to eat?   When is it time to eat? Empty3/29/2009, 10:10 pm

That doesn't really make sense . . .

I've had my C. vittatus hang out on a piece of bark with her pinchers wide open waiting for prey. Not everything that hangs out in burrows has heavy chela.
Back to top Go down
bjaeger
Leiurus
bjaeger

PostSubject: Re: When is it time to eat?   When is it time to eat? Empty3/29/2009, 11:35 pm

That's what I read -- or something similar to it. I wish I could find the website. It was one that I found on AB. Some Aussie website with their scorps on it.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

PostSubject: Re: When is it time to eat?   When is it time to eat? Empty3/30/2009, 12:30 am

If it was Mark Newton, I'm a bit perplexed, as he's quite the expert.
Back to top Go down
diabollicallycursed
Babycurus
diabollicallycursed

PostSubject: Re: When is it time to eat?   When is it time to eat? Empty3/30/2009, 1:28 am

I found that ALOT of info you get of random websites are quite misleading.
Back to top Go down
bjaeger
Leiurus
bjaeger

PostSubject: Re: When is it time to eat?   When is it time to eat? Empty3/30/2009, 1:52 am

Yup.

Quote :
If you are a scorpion covering large distances to find prey, you need to be agile and have the ability to move quickly and economically. The last thing you need is a huge pair of heavy pedipalps to haul about. They would mean a larger transport energy budget for the night and increased visibility to potential predators. Natural selection favours those opportunistic scorpions with agility, low energy expenditure and decreased visibility. If you think about the physics of the pedipalps and the way in which scorpions carry them, it should be obvious that large ones are cumbersome and energetically expensive. They are fine for those scorpions that dont wander long distances or frequently climb up into bushes. It should now be clear why foraging scorpions have evolved small pedipalps. But what about the disproportionately large metasoma?
Source: http://www.thedailylink.com/thespiralburrow -> Toxicity Morphology Strategy -> 5th link down
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

PostSubject: Re: When is it time to eat?   When is it time to eat? Empty3/30/2009, 1:56 am

I see then -- I think Mark explained it better than you did, though. Razz
Back to top Go down
bjaeger
Leiurus
bjaeger

PostSubject: Re: When is it time to eat?   When is it time to eat? Empty3/30/2009, 1:57 am

LOL ya I know. I suck at explaining things Embarassed
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: When is it time to eat?   When is it time to eat? Empty

Back to top Go down

When is it time to eat?
Page 1 of 1