The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

Please Help Me With Dave

Go down 
+3
scorpion111
mrflibble
phillthebruce
7 posters
AuthorMessage
phillthebruce
Pandinus

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2009-02-18

Please Help Me With Dave Empty
PostSubject: Please Help Me With Dave   Please Help Me With Dave Empty2/18/2009, 6:40 pm

Hello

I'm kind of a newbie regarding scorpions but I have 2 tarantulas and have had them for about 5-6 years. My ex bought me an emperor for christmas which I called Dave. He's an adult and is quite big, the biggest of all the ones in the shop.

He hasn't really eaten since we got him and I'm worried. I've tried feeding him crickets (live), mealworms and waxworms both live and recently cut in half which I try give him with tweasers. He's running around well and when I try feed him he seems to nip good.

Can you please help me with advice on other ways to maybe feed him and possible prey that he may eat. If this behaviour is normal please also let me know.

Thanks for your help

Phill B
Back to top Go down
mrflibble
Centruroides
mrflibble

Number of posts : 222
Registration date : 2008-11-29

PostSubject: Re: Please Help Me With Dave   Please Help Me With Dave Empty2/18/2009, 6:46 pm

first off have you got it in the right conditions
second if its a male then they can be a bit iffy when it comes to feeding
no real techniques to feeding really just put the cricket or mealworm in front of it and if its hungry it will eat it.
Back to top Go down
scorpion111
Post-whore
scorpion111

Number of posts : 3455
Registration date : 2008-04-07

PostSubject: Re: Please Help Me With Dave   Please Help Me With Dave Empty2/18/2009, 6:51 pm

he's fine.

scorpions, particularly this species, are known to fast for very long periods. especially males.

I have an adult female that hasn't eaten a thing in well over a year. just try feeding ever couple of weeks. don't harrass the scorpion with food.
Back to top Go down
_scorpio_
Androctonus
_scorpio_

Number of posts : 1827
Registration date : 2008-04-11

PostSubject: Re: Please Help Me With Dave   Please Help Me With Dave Empty2/18/2009, 8:54 pm

pic of the enclosure will help...
bet ya £5 its on sand!
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

Number of posts : 7743
Registration date : 2008-02-06

PostSubject: Re: Please Help Me With Dave   Please Help Me With Dave Empty2/18/2009, 11:15 pm

As has been stated, scorpions can easily fast for a while. Offer him prey every week or so until it eats. If nothing's eaten in 24 hours or so, take the prey out.

You've had him since Christmas, so I assume he's had time to settle in. Some scorps won't eat until they're settled.

As has been stated, it would also help to know what the conditions are.
Back to top Go down
phillthebruce
Pandinus

PostSubject: Re: Please Help Me With Dave   Please Help Me With Dave Empty2/19/2009, 6:19 am

Hello

Thanks for your help so far. Okay more info. Not 101% sure he is male. He's in a good sized tank, I'd say it's 1 1/2 foot long by 1 foot wide by 1 foot high. He's on what they call coconut bark which is also what I use for my spiders as it keeps the humidty well and allows them to burrow as I know spme emps will. He has plenty of places to hide which he does.

I'll get a pic of his tank for you.

Thanks for all your help

Phill B
Back to top Go down
_scorpio_
Androctonus
_scorpio_

Number of posts : 1827
Registration date : 2008-04-11

PostSubject: Re: Please Help Me With Dave   Please Help Me With Dave Empty2/19/2009, 7:15 am

coconut bark? do you mean coconut fibre? they cannot burow in bark
Back to top Go down
mrflibble
Centruroides
mrflibble

PostSubject: Re: Please Help Me With Dave   Please Help Me With Dave Empty2/19/2009, 7:44 am

how are the temperatures?
Back to top Go down
phillthebruce
Pandinus

PostSubject: Re: Please Help Me With Dave   Please Help Me With Dave Empty2/19/2009, 9:55 am

Yeah his subsrate is coconut fibre. And his temperature is at 75-80F, his humidity level is 80-85%
Back to top Go down
mrflibble
Centruroides
mrflibble

PostSubject: Re: Please Help Me With Dave   Please Help Me With Dave Empty2/19/2009, 10:03 am

well ur not doing anything wrong, so dont worry scorpions often go on long fasts, just try feeding once a week, they get hungry eventually, or you could bring him a girlfriend as after my male mated he ate like a pig Smile + you get babies
also welcome to the world of scorpions Very Happy
Back to top Go down
phillthebruce
Pandinus

PostSubject: Re: Please Help Me With Dave   Please Help Me With Dave Empty2/19/2009, 10:16 am

Thanks for all the advice. You can't help but worry sometimes. You see I have tarantulas and Dave is my first scorpion. I know on some part it is similair care but it is quite different I have found. If my T's don't eat for a month I know sometimes they may be getting ready to shed or just don't want to eat. I know he's quite big as you can see white between the plates on his armoured back. It's just after a few months of no food I worry.

I was devastated when my pink toe died he was 1 1/2, but male pink toes only live 1-2 years max. I care lots about all my 4 cats, my spiders and Dave Smile

Thanks again

Phill B
Back to top Go down
*Connie*
Post-whore
*Connie*

Number of posts : 3705

PostSubject: Re: Please Help Me With Dave   Please Help Me With Dave Empty2/19/2009, 11:01 am

dont worry about him not eating, if infact he is a he teehee

Ive had scorpions fast for months and then one day, they ask for food, they go into the "feed me pose" and then the food is eaten...OR ive been asked and then they still refuse. They will eat when they want. As long as they have water and the temps and humidity is fine, they will eat when ready
xxx
Back to top Go down
http://healingfromwithin.heavenforum.com/index.htm
phillthebruce
Pandinus

PostSubject: Re: Please Help Me With Dave   Please Help Me With Dave Empty2/19/2009, 1:09 pm

Thanks all for your help, as I say you can't help but to worry. I must admit he's different to a spider even though they are of a similar species. Being into metal of course I have tattoos and I have two beautiful tattoos. One of a scorpion and one of a spider

Smile
Back to top Go down
*Connie*
Post-whore
*Connie*

Number of posts : 3705

PostSubject: Re: Please Help Me With Dave   Please Help Me With Dave Empty2/19/2009, 1:12 pm

me too Razz
Back to top Go down
http://healingfromwithin.heavenforum.com/index.htm
phillthebruce
Pandinus

PostSubject: Re: Please Help Me With Dave   Please Help Me With Dave Empty2/21/2009, 10:23 pm

Oh I need another tattoo, you know when you get that itch for more. I want my full back doing and am saving up for it as we speak Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Bayss
Tityus
Bayss

Number of posts : 623
Registration date : 2008-12-29

PostSubject: Re: Please Help Me With Dave   Please Help Me With Dave Empty2/22/2009, 12:21 am

Sweet! I have my arms and whole left chest done...I want a scorpion tat when I find the right design. For now I just want the real thing pirat
Back to top Go down
scorpion111
Post-whore
scorpion111

Number of posts : 3455
Registration date : 2008-04-07

PostSubject: Re: Please Help Me With Dave   Please Help Me With Dave Empty2/22/2009, 12:31 am

I might get a tat when i'm older.. a really realistic scorpion/T one if i can find a really good artist. but it looks as sore as hell.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Please Help Me With Dave   Please Help Me With Dave Empty

Back to top Go down

Please Help Me With Dave
Page 1 of 1