The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

Mycosis discussion thread

Go down 
+12
BlackRockScorp
_Nagash_
Kejser
Bell
wburke17
Athlon2k2
*Connie*
Venom
~Abyss~
Mr. Mordax
g-thing
redknee
16 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
redknee
Tityus

Number of posts : 662
Location : Sw. Georgia, Home of the Hentzi King and the C. hentzi army
Registration date : 2008-02-06

mycosis forest - Mycosis discussion thread Empty
PostSubject: Mycosis discussion thread   mycosis forest - Mycosis discussion thread Empty2/16/2008, 6:26 pm

<Note from Mike: I thought the "A. bicolor growth rate" thread had gotten a bit off-topic, so I moved the mycosis discussion here. Smile

g-thing wrote:
they get mycosis very very easy careful wetting the corner
>

wow just leanred something new about wetting a corner like that

now is it with desert species or just any scorpions at that

next question, what is mycosis, i have asked others on different forums never really gotten an answer

Last edited by IHeartMantids on 2/20/2008, 7:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
g-thing
Hadogenes
g-thing

Number of posts : 83

PostSubject: mycosis   mycosis forest - Mycosis discussion thread Empty2/16/2008, 8:44 pm

its a fungus or bacteria that will slowly eat at your scorpion
it does things like eat through a leg in till it falls off
and most desert scorp are highly prone to mycosis
Back to top Go down
http://venomlist.com
redknee
Tityus

PostSubject: Re: Mycosis discussion thread   mycosis forest - Mycosis discussion thread Empty2/19/2008, 7:29 am

thanks Labin, for expelaining this to me
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

Number of posts : 7743

PostSubject: Re: Mycosis discussion thread   mycosis forest - Mycosis discussion thread Empty2/19/2008, 1:01 pm

Here's a picture of mycosis:
mycosis forest - Mycosis discussion thread IMG_0239

The female on the right has some bad spots on the metasoma and tergites. It wasn't in her booklungs, but she died a little over a week after that picture was taken.

Last edited by IHeartMantids on 2/19/2008, 1:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
redknee
Tityus

PostSubject: Re: Mycosis discussion thread   mycosis forest - Mycosis discussion thread Empty2/20/2008, 7:45 am

now those black spotts on the female as you mentioned, id that mycosis, if so then my Desert hairy has it now.

is there there a way to cure this

and thanks for sharing the pic, now i know what it is

Ps, so far i am loving this forum

Last edited by redknee on 2/20/2008, 7:54 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
~Abyss~
Administrator
~Abyss~

Number of posts : 6472
Registration date : 2008-02-05

PostSubject: Re: Mycosis discussion thread   mycosis forest - Mycosis discussion thread Empty2/20/2008, 11:04 am

That doesn't all look like mycosis to me. How the hell did you manage to get mycosis on a tropial scorpion?

-Eddy
Back to top Go down
https://scorpionforum.darkbb.com
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

PostSubject: Re: Mycosis discussion thread   mycosis forest - Mycosis discussion thread Empty2/20/2008, 11:58 am

Hell if I know -- it looked to me like the pictures I'd seen of mycosis, and she died about a week later. (I've actually heard of emps getting it before too.)

Redknee, I wouldn't jump to the mycosis conclusion with your desert hairy just yet. When I first got mine I thought she had it, but this species tends to have dark-looking joints that can be mistaken for mycosis.
Back to top Go down
~Abyss~
Administrator
~Abyss~

PostSubject: Re: Mycosis discussion thread   mycosis forest - Mycosis discussion thread Empty2/20/2008, 12:30 pm

Yeah I get freaked when I see my pallidus and see black spot around then I realize thats just the color. If you have a pic posted up I'd like to see.
-Eddy
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

PostSubject: Re: Mycosis discussion thread   mycosis forest - Mycosis discussion thread Empty2/20/2008, 7:18 pm

So Eddy, if that's not mycosis on my jacksoni, then what was it and why did it kill her? I thought B. jacksoni preferred mid-range humidity, so I expect that it's possible for them to get it but not as likely as say, an exclusively desert species.
Back to top Go down
Venom
Centruroides suffusus
Venom

Number of posts : 2834

PostSubject: Re: Mycosis discussion thread   mycosis forest - Mycosis discussion thread Empty2/20/2008, 7:49 pm

Is mycosis exclusive to scorpions?
Back to top Go down
~Abyss~
Administrator
~Abyss~

PostSubject: Re: Mycosis discussion thread   mycosis forest - Mycosis discussion thread Empty2/20/2008, 8:09 pm

No as for the B.jacks it does seem to have some mycosis there but none that would kill her. How much humidity did you have them in? I think if it got mycosis then it wasn't being kept properly and thats what porbably killed it.
-Eddy
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

PostSubject: Re: Mycosis discussion thread   mycosis forest - Mycosis discussion thread Empty2/20/2008, 9:03 pm

It was being kept at a mild humidity and was misted occasionaly. The conditions seemed fine for the male, as he was in the same tank and is still alive and well with no symptoms. My other female and my immature are also fine.

When I noticed it (about a week before she died), I moved her to a dry delicup with some cocofiber and a hide.
Back to top Go down
~Abyss~
Administrator
~Abyss~

PostSubject: Re: Mycosis discussion thread   mycosis forest - Mycosis discussion thread Empty2/20/2008, 9:12 pm

Well I usually keep mine at tropical humidity with a dry vertical hides so they can escape humidity. No problems as of yet. And never had mycosis. Thats just weird.
-Eddy
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

PostSubject: Re: Mycosis discussion thread   mycosis forest - Mycosis discussion thread Empty2/20/2008, 11:23 pm

Hmm. Looks like I'm the new Repository of Unusual Deaths.

Bummer.
Back to top Go down
~Abyss~
Administrator
~Abyss~

PostSubject: Re: Mycosis discussion thread   mycosis forest - Mycosis discussion thread Empty2/20/2008, 11:28 pm

Well theres been cases of even emps and hets getting mycosis I just think it's either WC or they just didn't house it right.
-Eddy
Back to top Go down
g-thing
Hadogenes
g-thing

Number of posts : 83

PostSubject: mycosis   mycosis forest - Mycosis discussion thread Empty2/21/2008, 3:07 am

WARNING:mycosis can spread by contact affraid a journel of medicine said humans and animals can spread mycosis by contact
im looking for more info to narrow this down to insects

O a big note over the counter fungal ointments can combat mycosis even on your scorps
Back to top Go down
http://venomlist.com
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

PostSubject: Re: Mycosis discussion thread   mycosis forest - Mycosis discussion thread Empty2/21/2008, 11:04 am

Something noteworthy to keep in mind . . .
Back to top Go down
*Connie*
Post-whore
*Connie*

Number of posts : 3705

PostSubject: Re: Mycosis discussion thread   mycosis forest - Mycosis discussion thread Empty2/21/2008, 11:17 am

oh dont say imperials can get it...that will be the next thing I worry about!
Back to top Go down
http://healingfromwithin.heavenforum.com/index.htm
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

PostSubject: Re: Mycosis discussion thread   mycosis forest - Mycosis discussion thread Empty2/21/2008, 11:21 am

I've only heard of one or two cases of emps getting it, so don't panic just yet. Smile
Back to top Go down
*Connie*
Post-whore
*Connie*

Number of posts : 3705

PostSubject: Re: Mycosis discussion thread   mycosis forest - Mycosis discussion thread Empty2/21/2008, 11:21 am

*holds off the panic*

I know if I see anything funky im gonna be running to this thread!

xxxx
Back to top Go down
http://healingfromwithin.heavenforum.com/index.htm
Athlon2k2
Tityus
Athlon2k2

Number of posts : 619

PostSubject: Re: Mycosis discussion thread   mycosis forest - Mycosis discussion thread Empty2/21/2008, 12:39 pm

I would guess that tropical scorps are just build better to resist the common occurance in the wild. Desert speices don't have to deal with this stuff in the wild so why would they be able to defend against it. Correct me if I am wrong, but don't scorps typically get the infection in spots that are weaker? ie: joints, accidents, areas from bad molts.

I have also heard different things on the anti-fungal that "could" be used. One problem is that desert species live in sand and with a creme solution the sand typically gets on the cream. I also heard that if too much is used it can kill your scorp.
Back to top Go down
wburke17
Babycurus
wburke17

Number of posts : 262

PostSubject: Re: Mycosis discussion thread   mycosis forest - Mycosis discussion thread Empty2/21/2008, 12:58 pm

It really doesnt matter how much you see its still probably going to kill the scorp. seems like once you notice it, its to late.
this one only had a few spots on it and within 2 weeks she was dead;
mycosis forest - Mycosis discussion thread Tscorp012
i've had others that died and after looking you can see it.
The only question that I have that still hasnt been answerd is if a inmature gets it will it come off in a molt?
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

PostSubject: Re: Mycosis discussion thread   mycosis forest - Mycosis discussion thread Empty2/21/2008, 4:50 pm

wburke17 wrote:
The only question that I have that still hasnt been answerd is if a inmature gets it will it come off in a molt?

I guess we'll have to wait until it happens to someone.
Back to top Go down
Bell
Pandinus

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2008-03-10

PostSubject: Re: Mycosis discussion thread   mycosis forest - Mycosis discussion thread Empty5/11/2008, 11:14 pm

I was going to start a new thread for this topic in the P imp forum but happened across this one... here's what I was posting:

So when I first got my emperor scorpion I was trying to sex it. On its pectines it had black spots. Coming from the tarantula world blackness is okay... it means a molt is coming. So I didn't think anything of it.

Well, the little bugger passed on today.

I now know what mycosis is and feel that's prolly what did her in.

I think something about mycosis should be added to the P imperator FAQ (or maybe a general scorpion FAQ) as it seems like that is a somewhat frequent thing. I know mycosis happens to other creatures poorly kept at high humidities and low ventilation but from what I read on AB it unfortunately happens a handful to Emps and other scorps. I think people should know 1) To really keep an eye on their set ups as far as ventilation goes and 2) How to recognize what mycosis looks like and how to deal with it when spotted (no pun intended). It seems like an easy thing to fend off if people are aware it can happen. ...or maybe an easy thing to contain if they're like me and was given a scorpion that had it already.

Now I have to wonder if my few high humidity tarantulas have anything to worry about. I keep their ventilation good but I know mycosis is contagious... who is to say they are going to be spared. I'm pretty good about not touching one container and then touching another... but who knows if I messed up once or something. *sigh*
Back to top Go down
http://gobellgo.com
Kejser
Administrator
Kejser

Number of posts : 1373

PostSubject: Re: Mycosis discussion thread   mycosis forest - Mycosis discussion thread Empty5/12/2008, 2:57 am

i have never heard of forest scorps getting mycosis.. any one got a picture of that ?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mycosis discussion thread   mycosis forest - Mycosis discussion thread Empty

Back to top Go down

Mycosis discussion thread
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next