The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

Mycosis? White mycosis?

Go down 
+2
ShredderEmp
TheKevil
6 posters
AuthorMessage
TheKevil
Babycurus
TheKevil

Number of posts : 335
Registration date : 2010-11-05

Mycosis? White mycosis? Empty
PostSubject: Mycosis? White mycosis?   Mycosis? White mycosis? Empty6/5/2013, 10:27 pm

Sorry to bother again... I just want to verify what I believe to be mycosis on my LQ. Whatcha think? I've noticed a few spots on the last segments of the "tail" and the legs. Nothing on the book lungs, thankfully. Sorry for the not so good clarity on the images. Trying to work with a smart phone and get a good shot which has proven difficult.

Mycosis? White mycosis? IMG_1459

Also, I noticed a big white spot on the last segment before the telson on my B. leptochelys. Is this something I should be concerned about? I've always seen mycosis as black, not white, so I'm not sure about it. It looks kinda like a light reflection in the pic here, but I assure you it is a white spot on the scorp.

Mycosis? White mycosis? 20130605_211024
Back to top Go down
TheKevil
Babycurus
TheKevil

PostSubject: Re: Mycosis? White mycosis?   Mycosis? White mycosis? Empty6/5/2013, 10:40 pm

Here are some better pics of the LQ

Mycosis? White mycosis? 20130605_213002

Mycosis? White mycosis? 20130605_213055

Mycosis? White mycosis? 20130605_213121

Last edited by TheKevil on 6/5/2013, 10:41 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : images showing as links...)
Back to top Go down
ShredderEmp
Tityus
ShredderEmp

Number of posts : 515
Registration date : 2012-08-08

PostSubject: Re: Mycosis? White mycosis?   Mycosis? White mycosis? Empty6/5/2013, 10:44 pm

I think that the Buthacus leptochelys could just have poop.
Back to top Go down
Patcho
SCORPIONMOD
Patcho

Number of posts : 833
Registration date : 2013-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Mycosis? White mycosis?   Mycosis? White mycosis? Empty6/5/2013, 10:47 pm

yup, that's poo.
Back to top Go down
TheKevil
Babycurus
TheKevil

PostSubject: Re: Mycosis? White mycosis?   Mycosis? White mycosis? Empty6/5/2013, 10:52 pm

Rock on. I've seen it on rocks and stuff, but never on the side of the last segments like that.

What about the LQ?
Back to top Go down
Shakudo
Tityus
Shakudo

Number of posts : 870
Registration date : 2013-01-20

PostSubject: Re: Mycosis? White mycosis?   Mycosis? White mycosis? Empty6/6/2013, 5:06 am

B. Leptochelys= white stuff is just poo
LQ = mycosis spots

My point of view:

I call the black spots myscoiss scars.
The actual mycosis, is a fungus.

That looks like a cotton like substance on the scorpion.
When that is gone, the affected parts are black, I think that is necrotic tissue. Or "dead" tissue.

It is very common amongst LQ, especially WC specimens.
As long as it doesn't spread to the book lungs its managed by keeping everything bone dry.
I had a Haddy who didn't make it but it it got to her lungs and she died.
However, I have seen a lot of specimens with a spot or 2 that are fine, and continue to thrive.
I can't see the underside of your LQ but from what I have seen on the picture, it does look very mild and I don't think the scorpion is really bothered by it.

If it is sub adult, it might even molt out of it:)

The are a lot tougher then we think.

Take care,

Joey

Back to top Go down
TheKevil
Babycurus
TheKevil

PostSubject: Re: Mycosis? White mycosis?   Mycosis? White mycosis? Empty6/6/2013, 10:20 am

Thanks. That's comforting. The LQ is doing well and being active. Either a bit fat or gravid. I'm horrible at sexing these things, though. I'm gonna try to get a macro image of the pectines on all of my scorps here soon so I can get a few of your opinions on the sex and the weight issue... I just took them out to inspect them last night so I'm gonna give them a few days before I do it again.
Back to top Go down
bjaeger
Leiurus
bjaeger

Number of posts : 2282
Registration date : 2008-04-29

PostSubject: Re: Mycosis? White mycosis?   Mycosis? White mycosis? Empty6/6/2013, 1:01 pm

you're not alone on this one. unfortunately my gravid LQ has a couple of spots on her. at the time i didn't realize that i was misting her too much. she seems to be doing alright now just keeping her bone dry Smile
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/brandonjaeger
Shakudo
Tityus
Shakudo

Number of posts : 870
Registration date : 2013-01-20

PostSubject: Re: Mycosis? White mycosis?   Mycosis? White mycosis? Empty6/6/2013, 1:44 pm

TheKevil wrote:
Thanks. That's comforting. The LQ is doing well and being active. Either a bit fat or gravid. I'm horrible at sexing these things, though. I'm gonna try to get a macro image of the pectines on all of my scorps here soon so I can get a few of your opinions on the sex and the weight issue... I just took them out to inspect them last night so I'm gonna give them a few days before I do it again.

You're welcome, most of the time with Buthids I tend to look to the inner space between the pectines.
Sure go ahead, post the pictures so we can have a look:)

Back to top Go down
TheKevil
Babycurus
TheKevil

PostSubject: Re: Mycosis? White mycosis?   Mycosis? White mycosis? Empty8/11/2013, 2:06 pm

Sorry to post again after a few months on this topic, but I just wanted to share...

My LQ molted a few days ago, as you guys have seen in the other posts. I checked on him today so I could get some pictures and he's mycosis free! Yay! It all molted off of him. Now here's hoping it stays that way. I had to dig up his burrow to get to the exuvium, so I had to rebuild part of the enclosure and spray it down to harden the clay, but I have him out of there in a temp enclosure until it dries. I put a 75 watt heat lamp in there shining directly on the wet spots. I'm thinking it should be dry tomorrow since I didn't have to get a very big portion of the enclosure wet.
Back to top Go down
~Abyss~
Administrator
~Abyss~

Number of posts : 6472
Registration date : 2008-02-05

PostSubject: Re: Mycosis? White mycosis?   Mycosis? White mycosis? Empty8/14/2013, 10:40 am

Thats awesome a good molt is all a scorpion needs.
Back to top Go down
https://scorpionforum.darkbb.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mycosis? White mycosis?   Mycosis? White mycosis? Empty

Back to top Go down

Mycosis? White mycosis?
Page 1 of 1