The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

My Emp babies are very fat...is this a problem?

Go down 
+2
electrophyste
Greenmanbacchus
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Greenmanbacchus
Pandinus

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2008-08-01

My Emp babies are very fat...is this a problem? Empty
PostSubject: My Emp babies are very fat...is this a problem?   My Emp babies are very fat...is this a problem? Empty8/31/2008, 9:17 pm

Hey everyone If I may, I'd like to have some advice please.
Long story short, in November '07 I purchased an 8 inch WC F Emp, who turned out to be pregnant.
July 14 '08...31 babies It's now some six weeks later, all are alive. 27 in communal, two with Mom,
and two in weekly rotation from communal in a separate enclosure. Judging from the similar size of
the 3I pics I've seen, they look to be maybe 3I...but I've no idea if they're old enough to be 3I.
Aside from the usual noob questions, here's the issue at hand: They are tremendously FAT.
They left their bark half-round hide about three weeks ago and began burrowing, so I havent seen much of them.
I've been tossing in quarter inch crickets from time to time, and they disappear promptly. Today, I found very nearly all of them clustered under the water dish, very comfy, all quite lively, all enormously fat. I'm guessing I probably shoudn't
feed them at all for a while. I've heard that Emps will 'eat themselves to death' if overfed...oh, dear...is this true?
Might there be molting issues with obese Emp babies? Should I withold food altogether for a while and if so for how long?
They're in a 15gal with bark hides, hardwood mulch and potting soil, kept at 80-90 daytime and 72-78 at night
They appear to be doing very well, but they are FAT. I welcome all feedback
Thanks very much in advance!

GMB[b]
Back to top Go down
electrophyste
Babycurus
electrophyste

Number of posts : 357
Registration date : 2008-05-09

PostSubject: Re: My Emp babies are very fat...is this a problem?   My Emp babies are very fat...is this a problem? Empty8/31/2008, 9:25 pm

they are all probably in a pre molt. some are at different stages then others so if you refuse them food that might lead to an issue. I've never heard of an Emp eating itself to death. they will pig out for a period of time and then not eat for a long period of time. Your scorplings will probably all molt soon if they look like little balloons.

Have they molted(shed skin) yet? If so then they are 3i. if not they are still 2i.
2is look like little balloons with itty bitty claws and tiny little legs. 3is are more impressive and look like little scorpions. You can leave them all in the same tank no problem. none have to be placed around that might cause the little guy some stress and he might die.
Back to top Go down
Greenmanbacchus
Pandinus

PostSubject: Re: My Emp babies are very fat...is this a problem?   My Emp babies are very fat...is this a problem? Empty8/31/2008, 10:35 pm

electrophyste wrote:
they are all probably in a pre molt. some are at different stages then others so if you refuse them food that might lead to an issue. I've never heard of an Emp eating itself to death. they will pig out for a period of time and then not eat for a long period of time. Your scorplings will probably all molt soon if they look like little balloons.

Have they molted(shed skin) yet? If so then they are 3i. if not they are still 2i.
2is look like little balloons with itty bitty claws and tiny little legs. 3is are more impressive and look like little scorpions.

Hi Electrophyste Smile Thanks for your response! Hmmm..have they molted...perhaps not, certainly I haven't seen any exuvia lying around. They may very well still be 2I
The last few times I tossed in a dozen or so quarter inch crickets, I really didn't think they 'needed' to be fed bc they were so fat...I just figured it would give them something to chase around. Still, the crickets never last long. Thanks for your input..I'll bet that's it...they're coming up to 3I. I'll keep the crickets coming and the heat and humidity up Wink
GMB
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

Number of posts : 7743
Registration date : 2008-02-06

PostSubject: Re: My Emp babies are very fat...is this a problem?   My Emp babies are very fat...is this a problem? Empty8/31/2008, 11:18 pm

Electro pretty much nailed it. FAT = getting ready to molt. Very Happy

The one suggestion I have is to headcrush the crickets -- crickets can sometimes injure molting scorps.
Back to top Go down
electrophyste
Babycurus
electrophyste

PostSubject: Re: My Emp babies are very fat...is this a problem?   My Emp babies are very fat...is this a problem? Empty9/1/2008, 1:11 am

thanks mike i soulda mentioned that.
i just had a brood of babies myself.
well im on the second now.
once they reach 3i you no longer have to crush the heads
Back to top Go down
*Connie*
Post-whore
*Connie*

Number of posts : 3705

PostSubject: Re: My Emp babies are very fat...is this a problem?   My Emp babies are very fat...is this a problem? Empty9/1/2008, 12:54 pm

I havent crushed crickets for my lot since they were white 2I's

Fat scorpions that are young mean pre moult. Never worry about them being "fat"

all you have asked has been answered.
Back to top Go down
http://healingfromwithin.heavenforum.com/index.htm
Greenmanbacchus
Pandinus

PostSubject: Re: My Emp babies are very fat...is this a problem?   My Emp babies are very fat...is this a problem? Empty9/1/2008, 7:15 pm

all you have asked has been answered.[/quote] Indeed it has and so quickly too! Smile
Thanks Connie...thanks Electro,...thanks, Mike. Very much appreciated. I've thrown another
bunch of crickets into the communal and they're all gone except for two of the biggest who are hanging out
on top of the hides. As I speak, there are two scorplings patrolling the ground...no doubt looking for them.
Here's another question: At eight + inches, my 'Pandora' is a good bit larger than a lot of the adult P. imperator that I've seen offered. Although the texts will quote them as reaching or exceeding that size, in practice I've seen more
quoted at five inches or six inches. Although I can't remember where, I read somewhere that there are two forms of
P. imperator, the 'Forest' and the 'Savannah', and that when the largest sizes are seen, they are invariably of the 'Savannah' form. Does anyone know whether this is an established fact, or merely anecdotal?
I look forward to your replies Smile
GMB
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

PostSubject: Re: My Emp babies are very fat...is this a problem?   My Emp babies are very fat...is this a problem? Empty9/1/2008, 8:06 pm

I too have heard about the savannah / forest forms, but I think you got it backwards. The forest form is supposed to be much larger.
Back to top Go down
Greenmanbacchus
Pandinus

PostSubject: Re: My Emp babies are very fat...is this a problem?   My Emp babies are very fat...is this a problem? Empty9/1/2008, 10:08 pm

IHeartMantids wrote:
I too have heard about the savannah / forest forms, but I think you got it backwards. The forest form is supposed to be much larger.
[b]Ahh...cool...that's why I asked Wink Thanks Mike Smile
GMB
Back to top Go down
electrophyste
Babycurus
electrophyste

PostSubject: Re: My Emp babies are very fat...is this a problem?   My Emp babies are very fat...is this a problem? Empty9/3/2008, 10:38 am

Mike is correct about about that. i have 4 adults in an enclosure and i only have one forest morph and she is probably 2 inches bigger then the other three
Back to top Go down
_scorpio_
Androctonus
_scorpio_

Number of posts : 1827
Registration date : 2008-04-11

PostSubject: Re: My Emp babies are very fat...is this a problem?   My Emp babies are very fat...is this a problem? Empty9/3/2008, 10:57 am

wow...shouldnt they be a seperate species???
Back to top Go down
Kejser
Administrator
Kejser

Number of posts : 1373

PostSubject: Re: My Emp babies are very fat...is this a problem?   My Emp babies are very fat...is this a problem? Empty9/3/2008, 11:03 am

No i doubt its a morph.. location is allso something to do with the size of the animale.. like the Lowland and highland forms in some T sp.. same thing goes for this.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

PostSubject: Re: My Emp babies are very fat...is this a problem?   My Emp babies are very fat...is this a problem? Empty9/4/2008, 10:05 am

Ok, form not morph then. Smile (Not sure what the difference is, taxonomically speaking.)

I think I saw a forest form at a show last summer -- it was huge! Almost put my H. longimanus to shame.
Back to top Go down
Kejser
Administrator
Kejser

Number of posts : 1373

PostSubject: Re: My Emp babies are very fat...is this a problem?   My Emp babies are very fat...is this a problem? Empty9/4/2008, 10:23 am

if you look at H.trilliantus it can change apperance quite alot.. well colorwise and stuff..
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My Emp babies are very fat...is this a problem?   My Emp babies are very fat...is this a problem? Empty

Back to top Go down

My Emp babies are very fat...is this a problem?
Page 1 of 1