The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

6+ emperors in a 55 gallon?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
omera
Pandinus

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2016-01-18

6+ emperors in a 55 gallon? Empty
PostSubject: 6+ emperors in a 55 gallon?   6+ emperors in a 55 gallon? Empty1/18/2016, 1:49 pm

Hello all, I'm a serious arachnid and reptile owner. My roomate offered to sell me a 55 gallon enclosure (with scorps it doesn't even need a top, they can't climb!). Since this is a cheap large enclosure I'm going to jump on it ASAP and get a hold of 6 or more (6 can go in a 20 gallon, theres gonna be some room here...) I wanted a resource to order my emperor scorpions from that won't falsely send me an asian forest or other aggressive species of scorpion that can't be housed together. I'd like to order from a place that sells em for $20 or so each and will cut back shipping costs for pricier orders.
Back to top Go down
Callum B
Administrator
Callum B

Number of posts : 1096
Registration date : 2008-09-21

PostSubject: Re: 6+ emperors in a 55 gallon?   6+ emperors in a 55 gallon? Empty1/19/2016, 9:11 am

You're asking for a lot....... Good luck finding any for sale, and even more good luck finding any for sale for $20. Slings have been selling for more than that!

You are also going to have a lot of trouble maintaining the correct humidity for this species without a lid on the tank. And, yes, scorpions can't climb smooth, clean glass, but they certainly can climb out of un-lidded glass tanks with the aid of the silicone in the corners. They'll also obligingly make use of any chips, scratches and dirt on the surface of the glass to break for freedom. Don't underestimate their climbing abilities.
Back to top Go down
omera
Pandinus

PostSubject: Re: 6+ emperors in a 55 gallon?   6+ emperors in a 55 gallon? Empty1/19/2016, 8:39 pm

If anything what about emperors period, even slings? I'm afraid to order another asian forest on accident.

When the pet store guy up in cocoa beach sold me Barbera I didn't realize the deal he was cutting me for $20 on a full grown scorpion, makes her more respectable actually. The baby slings for Asian Forest Scorps go for $16 that I've seen.

I would pick up a male and female in hopes that they will breed one day, and I'd distribute the babies to pet suppliers in hopes to keep a cycle going. Every litter counts.
Back to top Go down
Callum B
Administrator
Callum B

Number of posts : 1096
Registration date : 2008-09-21

PostSubject: Re: 6+ emperors in a 55 gallon?   6+ emperors in a 55 gallon? Empty1/20/2016, 3:36 am

The collection of this species from the wild has been stopped in the main countries that exported them, so they're now very hard to find for sale.

You're now most likely to come across emperor slings for sale, but they'll probably be quite expensive.
Back to top Go down
omera
Pandinus

PostSubject: Re: 6+ emperors in a 55 gallon?   6+ emperors in a 55 gallon? Empty1/20/2016, 9:53 am

I'm interested otherwise in this bark scorpion ordeal. I understand they aren't really that lethal but their poison is sketchy?
Back to top Go down
soldierof4cheese
Pandinus
soldierof4cheese

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2017-02-27

PostSubject: Re: 6+ emperors in a 55 gallon?   6+ emperors in a 55 gallon? Empty3/3/2017, 10:44 am

I have had good luck with Pandinus imperator back in the 90's. I used a 55 gallon fish aquarium with the typical lighted hoods, I believe it housed 10 or more counting the babies. Though now if I was to start a colony I would remove the youngsters after they leave the mothers back. I used gravel and potting soil, plus slate and rocks, living plants and kept the humidity level high. Worked great and they were all healthy and happy. One thing I did notice, the silicone in the corners of the tank can be a climbing point for them, their pincers are strong and can grab onto the silicone and they will climb.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 6+ emperors in a 55 gallon?   6+ emperors in a 55 gallon? Empty

Back to top Go down

6+ emperors in a 55 gallon?
Page 1 of 1