The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

Mounting and preserving dead specimens

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
TheKevil
Babycurus
TheKevil

Number of posts : 335
Registration date : 2010-11-05

Mounting and preserving dead specimens Empty
PostSubject: Mounting and preserving dead specimens   Mounting and preserving dead specimens Empty7/23/2013, 12:04 am

So my female P. trans died today. Sad I'm wanting to mount her and preserve her, but I've never done anything like that before. I'd like to make it to where I can take her to my office and mount her there and I'd prefer to do a dry Riker mount.

Has anyone ever done this with a larger scorpion species before? What is the best method?

I've heard for some smaller bugs that you should soak them in alcohol for a couple days first to dry them out, but I have also read a couple pages that say that for scorpions, alcohol soaking isn't necessary and that as long as you pin it before rigor sets in, you can shape it and pin it how you need to and it will dry out perfectly fine on it's own. Then, I also saw an Instructable article that said to gut the scorpion and fill it, basically like you would with taxidermy.
Back to top Go down
ShredderEmp
Tityus
ShredderEmp

Number of posts : 515
Registration date : 2012-08-08

PostSubject: Re: Mounting and preserving dead specimens   Mounting and preserving dead specimens Empty7/23/2013, 1:08 am

So sorry about that man. Too bad she was knocked up too. When Shredder died JZCtarantulafan from AB offered to mount him for me. Maybe you could talk to him about that or I could speak on your behalf.
Back to top Go down
TheKevil
Babycurus
TheKevil

PostSubject: Re: Mounting and preserving dead specimens   Mounting and preserving dead specimens Empty7/23/2013, 1:26 am

Much appreciated on the offer, but I want to give it a shot myself. If it goes well, I'd like to do the same with all of my specimens when they pass. It would be horrible to mess up and lose her remains to some stupid accident, but it's part of the learning process, I suppose.

I watched a video with a guy who simply rehydrates them, pins them and lets them set and his came out perfectly. I'm gonna give that a shot first. I already have her pinned up in the position that I want her in- the position she would be in when sleeping in her burrow. I know I'm being cheesy, but she's my first exotic species that died on me and she was probably my favorite from the collection. Luckily she just passed today. I won't need to rehydrate.
Back to top Go down
Den
Babycurus
Den

Number of posts : 290
Registration date : 2011-10-27

PostSubject: Re: Mounting and preserving dead specimens   Mounting and preserving dead specimens Empty7/23/2013, 4:44 am

One of my male P.villosus's black died a few weeks ago and i had no problems drying him out despite his rather bulky size.
I just positioned him on a few piece's of folded up kitchen roll to absorb any drain off fluids (didn't use any pins or other form of fixation), placed it in a well ventilated container and put the container in my boiler room.

Here's the result....

Mounting and preserving dead specimens Imgp3510
Back to top Go down
shadowfoot
Parabuthus
shadowfoot

Number of posts : 1296
Registration date : 2012-01-18

PostSubject: Re: Mounting and preserving dead specimens   Mounting and preserving dead specimens Empty7/23/2013, 6:07 am

I used the hair spray method like in one of the How To's of this forum for my 10cm Hottentotta saulcyi and worked great until my cat took it off the wall and dismembered it.
Back to top Go down
TheKevil
Babycurus
TheKevil

PostSubject: Re: Mounting and preserving dead specimens   Mounting and preserving dead specimens Empty7/23/2013, 10:44 am

Thanks for the tips! Most appreciated. I'll look in the How To's and see if I can find that hairspray method.

Den... Your P. villosus preserved just like that without pinning? Awesome! It's well positioned. I wasn't so lucky withe mine. She died with her chela and her legs pulled in to her body and her tail straight.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mounting and preserving dead specimens   Mounting and preserving dead specimens Empty

Back to top Go down

Mounting and preserving dead specimens
Page 1 of 1