The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

Thought it was a young Nebo hierichonticus help Id

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
spikexspiegel
Pandinus
spikexspiegel

Number of posts : 41
Registration date : 2008-05-18

Thought it was a young Nebo hierichonticus help Id Empty
PostSubject: Thought it was a young Nebo hierichonticus help Id   Thought it was a young Nebo hierichonticus help Id Empty6/16/2008, 4:35 pm

I know it's from the Nebo family but it is not the hierichonticus it is about the size of my pinky maybe a little smaller and the woman who sold it to me said it was almost 2. So if someone could help me I.D this little fella that would be great. I just asked about its age today hence why i thought it was just a juvy of the other Sp.
Thought it was a young Nebo hierichonticus help Id IMG00147
Thought it was a young Nebo hierichonticus help Id IMG00132
Thought it was a young Nebo hierichonticus help Id IMG00117-1
Back to top Go down
Rasputin
Parabuthus

Number of posts : 1051
Registration date : 2008-03-12

PostSubject: Re: Thought it was a young Nebo hierichonticus help Id   Thought it was a young Nebo hierichonticus help Id Empty6/16/2008, 7:24 pm

it looks like a Nebo to me but the pix are no better than the black and white photocopies in the reclassification of the species from 1980: http://www.americanarachnology.org/JoA_free/JoA_v8_n1/JoA_v8_p35_grey.pdf

if the pix were clearer I would be able to develop a better idea
Back to top Go down
spikexspiegel
Pandinus
spikexspiegel

PostSubject: Re: Thought it was a young Nebo hierichonticus help Id   Thought it was a young Nebo hierichonticus help Id Empty6/16/2008, 8:27 pm

I will get clearer pics but when i get my camera back. Had to take these with my cell. I will put a ruler beside it next time i take a pic too.
Back to top Go down
Rasputin
Parabuthus

PostSubject: Re: Thought it was a young Nebo hierichonticus help Id   Thought it was a young Nebo hierichonticus help Id Empty6/16/2008, 8:57 pm

that article give a size description as well as description of identifying marks. read through it and compare everything to your scorp
Back to top Go down
spikexspiegel
Pandinus
spikexspiegel

PostSubject: Re: Thought it was a young Nebo hierichonticus help Id   Thought it was a young Nebo hierichonticus help Id Empty6/16/2008, 8:58 pm

I read through it but they all seem to be of the same relative size so i am thinking that lady didn't know what she was talking about and this is still a juvy. None of the sizes represent this little guy when he is all curled up he is less than the size of a quarter.
Back to top Go down
spikexspiegel
Pandinus
spikexspiegel

PostSubject: Re: Thought it was a young Nebo hierichonticus help Id   Thought it was a young Nebo hierichonticus help Id Empty6/17/2008, 4:31 pm

Alright Rasputin got the new pics give her a shot now the little guy is beside a quarter in the pics but these ones are all pretty clear.
There are a lot of them
Thought it was a young Nebo hierichonticus help Id 100_1187
Thought it was a young Nebo hierichonticus help Id 100_1186
Thought it was a young Nebo hierichonticus help Id 100_1185
Thought it was a young Nebo hierichonticus help Id 100_1184
Thought it was a young Nebo hierichonticus help Id 100_1183
Thought it was a young Nebo hierichonticus help Id 100_1182
Thought it was a young Nebo hierichonticus help Id 100_1181
Back to top Go down
Rasputin
Parabuthus

PostSubject: Re: Thought it was a young Nebo hierichonticus help Id   Thought it was a young Nebo hierichonticus help Id Empty6/18/2008, 1:33 am

I'm gonna say the store was right and it is a Nebo hierichonticus but it's not an adult. Scotty, Dave, anyone wanna pipe in?
Back to top Go down
Scott Land
Tityus
Scott Land

Number of posts : 578
Registration date : 2008-05-01

PostSubject: Re: Thought it was a young Nebo hierichonticus help Id   Thought it was a young Nebo hierichonticus help Id Empty6/18/2008, 2:36 am

I sort of agree with Benny but I think it is an adult and they like a little moisture they live in Mediteranean type environments not full on desrt.
Back to top Go down
Rasputin
Parabuthus

PostSubject: Re: Thought it was a young Nebo hierichonticus help Id   Thought it was a young Nebo hierichonticus help Id Empty6/18/2008, 3:10 am

touche Scott
Back to top Go down
spikexspiegel
Pandinus
spikexspiegel

PostSubject: Re: Thought it was a young Nebo hierichonticus help Id   Thought it was a young Nebo hierichonticus help Id Empty6/18/2008, 5:54 am

See heres the thing though adults are supposed to be the largest scorp in isreal and can be up to 13 cm and as you can see this is close to the size of a quarter about 3.5 cm head to tail end.
Back to top Go down
Rasputin
Parabuthus

PostSubject: Re: Thought it was a young Nebo hierichonticus help Id   Thought it was a young Nebo hierichonticus help Id Empty6/18/2008, 12:55 pm

as adults they actually reach 80-110mm in length, that' 8-11cm which is roughly the size of an average pinky to ring finger
Back to top Go down
spikexspiegel
Pandinus
spikexspiegel

PostSubject: Re: Thought it was a young Nebo hierichonticus help Id   Thought it was a young Nebo hierichonticus help Id Empty6/18/2008, 6:20 pm

Well alright i will give him a measure and see what's up on the respect and get back to you with the results. The room i have him is a basement that is already filled with moisture even the sand is somewhat moist so he should be good in that respect. If i see him getting agitated i will cahnge it back to what i had it as before which was just coco.
Back to top Go down
Scott Land
Tityus
Scott Land

Number of posts : 578
Registration date : 2008-05-01

PostSubject: Re: Thought it was a young Nebo hierichonticus help Id   Thought it was a young Nebo hierichonticus help Id Empty6/18/2008, 9:03 pm

spikexspiegel wrote:
Well alright i will give him a measure and see what's up on the respect and get back to you with the results. The room i have him is a basement that is already filled with moisture even the sand is somewhat moist so he should be good in that respect. If i see him getting agitated i will cahnge it back to what i had it as before which was just coco.
Size is only a general thing scorps are like people some are tall and some are short. I would go back to coconut fiber,he can dig in it better and it is the moisture in the substrate not the air that matters but as long as you have a water bowl dry coconut stuff is perfect.
Back to top Go down
spikexspiegel
Pandinus
spikexspiegel

PostSubject: Re: Thought it was a young Nebo hierichonticus help Id   Thought it was a young Nebo hierichonticus help Id Empty6/18/2008, 10:46 pm

I have a completly different tank setup up for him aswell i have 2 that i have been switching him between so no problems there.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Thought it was a young Nebo hierichonticus help Id   Thought it was a young Nebo hierichonticus help Id Empty

Back to top Go down

Thought it was a young Nebo hierichonticus help Id
Page 1 of 1