The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

H. trilineatus, but with a few questions

Go down 
+2
chrisc
elmer86
6 posters
AuthorMessage
elmer86
Pandinus

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2013-03-17

H. trilineatus, but with a few questions Empty
PostSubject: H. trilineatus, but with a few questions   H. trilineatus, but with a few questions Empty4/18/2013, 12:04 am

Hi all, I just got my first H. trilineatus in today and I thought it would be cool to share some pics. However, I am slightly disappointed and a bit worried. Upon arrival I noticed its front left leg is missing the very tip and seems to have an almost black color at the end of it. Will this be a significant problem when molting time comes around, will it correct itself when molted or remain the same? Also, I am aware this species belongs to semi-arid/dry subtropical Africa, will it be necessary to include a shallow bottle cap for it to drink water? I hope my pics can somewhat illustrate the situation, thanks.

[url=H. trilineatus, but with a few questions 20130417_165748]H. trilineatus, but with a few questions 20130417_165748[/URL

[url=[URL=https://s990.photobucket.com/user/edgarsouthcali/media/20130417_165721.jpg.html]H. trilineatus, but with a few questions 20130417_165721]H. trilineatus, but with a few questions 20130417_165721[/url]

H. trilineatus, but with a few questions 20130417_165712

[url=H. trilineatus, but with a few questions 20130417_165657]H. trilineatus, but with a few questions 20130417_165657[/url]

H. trilineatus, but with a few questions 20130417_165537
Back to top Go down
chrisc
Centruroides
chrisc

Number of posts : 102
Registration date : 2013-02-12

PostSubject: Re: H. trilineatus, but with a few questions   H. trilineatus, but with a few questions Empty4/18/2013, 12:29 am

cant really help much but sound's like the black bit could be mycosis i think it's called.
very cool little scorpion though
Back to top Go down
Bayss
Tityus
Bayss

Number of posts : 623
Registration date : 2008-12-29

PostSubject: Re: H. trilineatus, but with a few questions   H. trilineatus, but with a few questions Empty4/18/2013, 12:41 am

Shouldn't be a big problem...will most likely fix itself on next molt as long as it's not an adult. I would keep the substrate dry...a small bottle cap of water is fine...could even mist one corner of the enclosure wall once a week as they can drink the droplets on the glass. Good ventilation is important to prevent humidity build up. Very cool scorpion. I haven't kept these specifically, so not sure how likely they are to get mycosis.
Back to top Go down
shadowfoot
Parabuthus
shadowfoot

Number of posts : 1296
Registration date : 2012-01-18

PostSubject: Re: H. trilineatus, but with a few questions   H. trilineatus, but with a few questions Empty4/18/2013, 3:56 am

Yip, it will probably fix itself over the next few molts, it still looks like an early instar so the mycosis, if it is present, will fix itself as well.
Back to top Go down
~Abyss~
Administrator
~Abyss~

Number of posts : 6472
Registration date : 2008-02-05

PostSubject: Re: H. trilineatus, but with a few questions   H. trilineatus, but with a few questions Empty4/18/2013, 4:44 am

hey Elmer can't see what you're talking about but I agree with what everyone has been saying.
Back to top Go down
https://scorpionforum.darkbb.com
elmer86
Pandinus

PostSubject: Re: H. trilineatus, but with a few questions   H. trilineatus, but with a few questions Empty4/18/2013, 12:53 pm

Nice, what a load off my mind. Thanks everyone!
Back to top Go down
Shakudo
Tityus
Shakudo

Number of posts : 870
Registration date : 2013-01-20

PostSubject: Re: H. trilineatus, but with a few questions   H. trilineatus, but with a few questions Empty4/18/2013, 6:50 pm

Hi Elmer,

Sounds indeed like a mycosis wound.
Keep it nice and dry:)

I don't want to be the party pooper here but I want to keep it real...
Scorpions do not have the same regenerative function as tarantula's.
And I quote:

Quote :
In scorpions, compete regeneration of appendages is either rare or non-existent. They have been known to regenerate parts of legs, but in a non-methodical way. For example, if an immature scorpion lost all of a leg past the femur, it won't regenerate the complete leg, but it may regenerate a leg segment, such as the tarsus at the site where the leg was lost.

Source:
here

Conclusion, perhaps a big part or even the most can come back! Not that bad either way!!

Take care!

Joey
Back to top Go down
elmer86
Pandinus

PostSubject: Re: H. trilineatus, but with a few questions   H. trilineatus, but with a few questions Empty4/18/2013, 10:27 pm

Thanks for the heads up Joey. I have herd that tarantulas are better at this when it comes to regenerating lost appendages, and unfortunately I had my suspicions scorpions don't have the same ability. However, from what you all have told me it shouldn't necessarily hinder the quality of life of my little friend so long as I maintain its enclosure to favorable conditions. Keeping fingers crossed either way.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: H. trilineatus, but with a few questions   H. trilineatus, but with a few questions Empty

Back to top Go down

H. trilineatus, but with a few questions
Page 1 of 1