The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

Burrow/cavern entrance collapsed!

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Skroar
Hadogenes

Number of posts : 76
Registration date : 2013-01-29

Burrow/cavern entrance collapsed! Empty
PostSubject: Burrow/cavern entrance collapsed!   Burrow/cavern entrance collapsed! Empty2/21/2013, 10:14 pm

So my dune scorpion has built itself a cavern in the sand it lives in. Originally, there was a massive entrance underneath the feeding dish, but since I took out the feeding dish, the entrance collapsed.

It dug deep enough that I can actually see a little bit of the inside of the cavern through the side of the tank, and the scorpion is ok, and it seems the cavern inside is at least holding up for now.

It's the fifth time, I think, that I knocked down the its cavern now.

It hasn't rebuilt that entrance yet, but I strongly think that another entrance is inside of the shelter.

I don't want to lift the shelter up only to cause it to collapse as well.

I haven't seen the scorpion outside of the tank, but I do see him occasionally through the glass and into its cavern.

Will my dune scorpion repair the cavern? It's been about 4 days now.
Back to top Go down
ShredderEmp
Tityus
ShredderEmp

Number of posts : 515
Registration date : 2012-08-08

PostSubject: Re: Burrow/cavern entrance collapsed!   Burrow/cavern entrance collapsed! Empty2/21/2013, 10:23 pm

If you feel like he can't get out, then dig him out.
Back to top Go down
Shakudo
Tityus
Shakudo

Number of posts : 870
Registration date : 2013-01-20

PostSubject: Re: Burrow/cavern entrance collapsed!   Burrow/cavern entrance collapsed! Empty2/22/2013, 6:17 am

My tip : because I get the feeling you are a bit worried.

Dig him out. Place the substrate again in the enclosure as you did the first time.

Pre dig a hole in an appointed section of the tank, like under a hide or log or anything.

Place your scorpion over there and let him so the rest. Place water dish in the opposite corner of the intended hide.

Then let your scorpion do its thing and leave it in peace for a while and give it time. To much stress isn't good for it.

Take care,

Joey
Back to top Go down
Skroar
Hadogenes

PostSubject: Re: Burrow/cavern entrance collapsed!   Burrow/cavern entrance collapsed! Empty2/22/2013, 6:24 am

Update:

He dug a hole out, but the hole only lasted for a couple hours.

I'll dig him out carefully.
Back to top Go down
Shakudo
Tityus
Shakudo

Number of posts : 870
Registration date : 2013-01-20

PostSubject: Re: Burrow/cavern entrance collapsed!   Burrow/cavern entrance collapsed! Empty2/22/2013, 6:26 am

Ok good now you know he is ok, make it all tidy again, put him back in , and let it do the rest;)
Back to top Go down
Callum B
Administrator
Callum B

Number of posts : 1096
Registration date : 2008-09-21

PostSubject: Re: Burrow/cavern entrance collapsed!   Burrow/cavern entrance collapsed! Empty2/22/2013, 8:47 am

Scorpions do this to themselves all the time.

Digging it out will cause stress so I would recommend just leaving it be. It dug itself in there so it can dig itself out.
Back to top Go down
shebeen
Tityus
shebeen

Number of posts : 507
Registration date : 2011-05-15

PostSubject: Re: Burrow/cavern entrance collapsed!   Burrow/cavern entrance collapsed! Empty2/22/2013, 9:57 am

Sounds like you need to add a little Excavator Clay to your substrate so it will support burrows. The clay acts as a binder when the substrate is moistened then allowed to dry. Unfortunately, this requires redoing your whole enclosure, but it will prevent your burrows and tunnels from collapsing all the time. 5% to 10% Excavator Clay is all you need. Anything more would probably make the substrate too hard for S. mesaensis to excavate.
Back to top Go down
Skroar
Hadogenes

PostSubject: Re: Burrow/cavern entrance collapsed!   Burrow/cavern entrance collapsed! Empty2/25/2013, 2:38 am

I'll get it maybe later, but its too stressed to have the cavern totally collapsed.

I'm guessing that he's not in the mood to eat as well?

I'll post a separate topic about this, but it seems that my scorpion has anxiety problems.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Burrow/cavern entrance collapsed!   Burrow/cavern entrance collapsed! Empty

Back to top Go down

Burrow/cavern entrance collapsed!
Page 1 of 1