The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

Learning the hard way. Death of Wantanuki by trial and error. (Borthriurus Dumayi)

Go down 
+4
~Abyss~
Scorpion19981000
shadowfoot
Scorpiongirl
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Scorpiongirl
Centruroides
Scorpiongirl

Number of posts : 136
Registration date : 2012-12-16

Learning the hard way. Death of Wantanuki by trial and error. (Borthriurus Dumayi) Empty
PostSubject: Learning the hard way. Death of Wantanuki by trial and error. (Borthriurus Dumayi)   Learning the hard way. Death of Wantanuki by trial and error. (Borthriurus Dumayi) Empty2/2/2013, 7:24 am

Against my better judgement I kept Yuko and Wantanuki in the same tank. I wanted to see if they would co-exist with adequate feeding and plentiful hiding spaces. Unfortunately all that did was buy time before the casualty (did i spell that right?).

I was very, VERY upset about losing wantanuki. But to be honest, I am glad Yuko is the one I still have. She is the one I handle.

I will get another Dumayi in the future, and I will have learned from my mistake.

So on another bright side, I am now able to help other newcomers into the Bothriurus Dumayi interest who want to know how to keep indivudual specimens.

As upset as I have been over the loss of Wantanuki, we all must learn from our mistakes, no matter how well we research.

R.I.P. my little scorp.
Back to top Go down
shadowfoot
Parabuthus
shadowfoot

Number of posts : 1296
Registration date : 2012-01-18

Learning the hard way. Death of Wantanuki by trial and error. (Borthriurus Dumayi) Empty
PostSubject: Re: Learning the hard way. Death of Wantanuki by trial and error. (Borthriurus Dumayi)   Learning the hard way. Death of Wantanuki by trial and error. (Borthriurus Dumayi) Empty2/2/2013, 8:33 am

Sad to hear of your loss.
At least you gained experience with this species.
Good luck with them in the future.
Back to top Go down
Scorpion19981000
Administrator
Scorpion19981000

Number of posts : 1895
Registration date : 2011-07-03

PostSubject: Re: Learning the hard way. Death of Wantanuki by trial and error. (Borthriurus Dumayi)   Learning the hard way. Death of Wantanuki by trial and error. (Borthriurus Dumayi) Empty2/2/2013, 7:20 pm

Sorry for the loss.

Well, at least some more information on the species was gained.
Back to top Go down
http://www.scorpionforum.darkbb.com
~Abyss~
Administrator
~Abyss~

Number of posts : 6472
Registration date : 2008-02-05

PostSubject: Re: Learning the hard way. Death of Wantanuki by trial and error. (Borthriurus Dumayi)   Learning the hard way. Death of Wantanuki by trial and error. (Borthriurus Dumayi) Empty2/2/2013, 8:06 pm

Agreed. Very quick to cannibalize you only had them for a while right? At least we got some info out if this. Maybe in a while you can write up a caresheet
Back to top Go down
https://scorpionforum.darkbb.com
emperor5
Tityus
emperor5

Number of posts : 516
Registration date : 2012-06-09

PostSubject: Re: Learning the hard way. Death of Wantanuki by trial and error. (Borthriurus Dumayi)   Learning the hard way. Death of Wantanuki by trial and error. (Borthriurus Dumayi) Empty2/3/2013, 9:39 pm

sorry about the loss..... Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/androctonus.australis.5
Callum B
Administrator
Callum B

Number of posts : 1096
Registration date : 2008-09-21

PostSubject: Re: Learning the hard way. Death of Wantanuki by trial and error. (Borthriurus Dumayi)   Learning the hard way. Death of Wantanuki by trial and error. (Borthriurus Dumayi) Empty2/4/2013, 11:12 am

D'oh. Sorry to hear about this.

The little Chilean species really don't like each others company. Even Michiel over on the other forum commented on how difficult it is to pair a male and female. They just want to kill each other.
Back to top Go down
Bayss
Tityus
Bayss

Number of posts : 623
Registration date : 2008-12-29

PostSubject: Re: Learning the hard way. Death of Wantanuki by trial and error. (Borthriurus Dumayi)   Learning the hard way. Death of Wantanuki by trial and error. (Borthriurus Dumayi) Empty2/4/2013, 4:51 pm

Really sorry to hear about your loss. It happens, but you are able to pass info on about this to others. Looking forward to learning about these as time goes on. Very impressive looking. Good luck.
Back to top Go down
Scorpiongirl
Centruroides
Scorpiongirl

Number of posts : 136
Registration date : 2012-12-16

PostSubject: Re: Learning the hard way. Death of Wantanuki by trial and error. (Borthriurus Dumayi)   Learning the hard way. Death of Wantanuki by trial and error. (Borthriurus Dumayi) Empty2/4/2013, 10:28 pm

@Abyss

Yeah.. I'm planning on putting together a care sheet for this species. At least I have a nice little chunk to add to it. Whenever in the future I get the sheet finished I'll be sure to put it up
Back to top Go down
Yames
Tityus
Yames

Number of posts : 521
Registration date : 2012-09-18

PostSubject: Re: Learning the hard way. Death of Wantanuki by trial and error. (Borthriurus Dumayi)   Learning the hard way. Death of Wantanuki by trial and error. (Borthriurus Dumayi) Empty2/7/2013, 1:37 am

Forgive me if I'm wrong but weren't they a male and female pair? If that was the case I would say there is a high percent chance that the cannibalizing happened after mating or the next time they ran into each other after she was successfully impregnated. Most scorpions even ones that are known to cannibalize will take a break from that behavior to mate. I'd been very interested in seeing picture updates of her over the next few months to see if you will indeed have babies.

Of course if they were both female then I just look stupid. Which is a risk I usually take. Smile
Back to top Go down
http://allscorpionarchives.forumotion.com/
shadowfoot
Parabuthus
shadowfoot

Number of posts : 1296
Registration date : 2012-01-18

PostSubject: Re: Learning the hard way. Death of Wantanuki by trial and error. (Borthriurus Dumayi)   Learning the hard way. Death of Wantanuki by trial and error. (Borthriurus Dumayi) Empty2/7/2013, 6:38 am

+1 to Yames.
You might have an unsuspected surprise one day Smile
See if you can't find any spermatophore in the cage, the males usually deposit them on hard surfaces.
Back to top Go down
~Abyss~
Administrator
~Abyss~

Number of posts : 6472
Registration date : 2008-02-05

PostSubject: Re: Learning the hard way. Death of Wantanuki by trial and error. (Borthriurus Dumayi)   Learning the hard way. Death of Wantanuki by trial and error. (Borthriurus Dumayi) Empty2/7/2013, 1:15 pm

True, if that scorpion was more horny than hungry you might have some scorps in a few months. Fingers crossed.
Back to top Go down
https://scorpionforum.darkbb.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Learning the hard way. Death of Wantanuki by trial and error. (Borthriurus Dumayi)   Learning the hard way. Death of Wantanuki by trial and error. (Borthriurus Dumayi) Empty

Back to top Go down

Learning the hard way. Death of Wantanuki by trial and error. (Borthriurus Dumayi)
Page 1 of 1