The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

How long did it take to hold your first scorpion?

Go down 
+9
Kejser
*Connie*
jmoran1097
~Abyss~
Mr. Mordax
Venom
EWom
lycanlord
sliprep66
13 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
sliprep66
Babycurus
sliprep66

Number of posts : 384
Registration date : 2008-06-05

How long did it take to hold your first scorpion? Empty
PostSubject: How long did it take to hold your first scorpion?   How long did it take to hold your first scorpion? Empty6/6/2008, 6:08 pm

I want to try and hold but every time he turns and looks at me like come on punk i dare you!!!! any ideas how i could hold him with out beint stung
Back to top Go down
lycanlord
Leiurus
lycanlord

Number of posts : 2916
Registration date : 2008-06-03

PostSubject: Re: How long did it take to hold your first scorpion?   How long did it take to hold your first scorpion? Empty6/6/2008, 6:17 pm

i wunt worry bout being stung emp's tend not to sting too often, and when they do it aint very painfull, the way i held my first one was got him into a tub n then let him walk onto my hand with a lil encouragement by touching on the tail, u might wanna use a pencil or something if your really worried you will get tagged lol, once hes on u its unlikly ull get stung cuz as far as its concerned you are the ground, they aint the brightest of creatures haha Razz
Back to top Go down
lycanlord
Leiurus
lycanlord

PostSubject: Re: How long did it take to hold your first scorpion?   How long did it take to hold your first scorpion? Empty6/6/2008, 6:51 pm

just thought id add that if you are unlucky and do get tagged, altho pandinus imerator stings are not generally perceived to be dangerous, keep an eye on it anyway, it would be bad to find out your sensitive to the venom, example being if your allergic to bee stings you may be more likely to react badly lol, didnt mean to put you off just thought you should know.
Back to top Go down
sliprep66
Babycurus
sliprep66

Number of posts : 384
Registration date : 2008-06-05

PostSubject: Re: How long did it take to hold your first scorpion?   How long did it take to hold your first scorpion? Empty6/6/2008, 7:00 pm

thanks does any one know of the site reptilecity.com they sell scoripions and i want to know if its a good site
Back to top Go down
EWom
Hadogenes

Number of posts : 62
Registration date : 2008-05-23

PostSubject: Re: How long did it take to hold your first scorpion?   How long did it take to hold your first scorpion? Empty6/6/2008, 7:03 pm

I first held mine with a glove on day one. Then with out a glove on day two.
Back to top Go down
lycanlord
Leiurus
lycanlord

PostSubject: Re: How long did it take to hold your first scorpion?   How long did it take to hold your first scorpion? Empty6/6/2008, 7:54 pm

yeah iv heard alot of people like to use gloves till they get used to handling them, i tried it once with a hadrurus arizonesis i was more nervous of them cuzza the more painfull sting, any way i found it harder with gloves.
Back to top Go down
lycanlord
Leiurus
lycanlord

PostSubject: Re: How long did it take to hold your first scorpion?   How long did it take to hold your first scorpion? Empty6/6/2008, 7:56 pm

sorry forgot to say why i found it harder, basically it was cuz they make ur hands chunkier, so i was uncomfortable with it cuz i lost some mobility as it were lol
Back to top Go down
Venom
Centruroides suffusus
Venom

Number of posts : 2834
Registration date : 2008-02-05

PostSubject: Re: How long did it take to hold your first scorpion?   How long did it take to hold your first scorpion? Empty6/6/2008, 7:59 pm

A month or two.
It blurrs once you handle all of them without even worrying
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

Number of posts : 7743
Registration date : 2008-02-06

PostSubject: Re: How long did it take to hold your first scorpion?   How long did it take to hold your first scorpion? Empty6/6/2008, 8:01 pm

I agree with the gloves comment -- you lose a lot of dexterity. It took me about four months before I handled an emp. If yours is being all defensive-like, it's probably because they can easily feel cornered in a tank.

Thaedion, our resident forest scorpion expert, has posted a video of how he picks his up:
Back to top Go down
~Abyss~
Administrator
~Abyss~

Number of posts : 6472
Registration date : 2008-02-05

PostSubject: Re: How long did it take to hold your first scorpion?   How long did it take to hold your first scorpion? Empty6/6/2008, 8:14 pm

I picked mine up before I even bought it Razz
Back to top Go down
https://scorpionforum.darkbb.com

PostSubject: Re: How long did it take to hold your first scorpion?   How long did it take to hold your first scorpion? Empty6/6/2008, 8:59 pm

It took me 6 months to get the nerve to pick one up, and it happend to be an aggro Het from the pet store which also happened to be preggo. But I talked the store mgr down to 7.00$ if I took it out (of course it was a mis IDed Het in the P imp tank (on wood chips and bone dry) Suspecious )

I tried the gloved too when at home, they offer a flase sence of security because if they wanted to the scorp could pierce the pliable leater of work gloves and the like
Back to top Go down
jmoran1097
Hadogenes
jmoran1097

Number of posts : 94
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: How long did it take to hold your first scorpion?   How long did it take to hold your first scorpion? Empty6/6/2008, 9:01 pm

i've only handled an H.Paucidens out of my collection. I normally don't handle scorps unless I really trust their temperment.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/moranspace
*Connie*
Post-whore
*Connie*

Number of posts : 3705

PostSubject: Re: How long did it take to hold your first scorpion?   How long did it take to hold your first scorpion? Empty6/7/2008, 2:03 am

it was about a week. I held Pinchy...freaked out. And then one more time. That was it.
I had tested my nerve and now I no longer feel the need to hold again

*apart from tiny but he has no telson and is a baby and weebittywee...but dont even think ive held him*
Back to top Go down
http://healingfromwithin.heavenforum.com/index.htm
Kejser
Administrator
Kejser

Number of posts : 1373

PostSubject: Re: How long did it take to hold your first scorpion?   How long did it take to hold your first scorpion? Empty6/7/2008, 3:23 am

lycanlord19 wrote:
just thought id add that if you are unlucky and do get tagged, altho pandinus imerator stings are not generally perceived to be dangerous, keep an eye on it anyway, it would be bad to find out your sensitive to the venom, example being if your allergic to bee stings you may be more likely to react badly lol, didnt mean to put you off just thought you should know.

Got a really good mate wich keeps scorps like me, he has been stung servel times by scorpions but no reaction, but last summer while driving on the highway he was allmost killed when he got stung by a bee, he had to pull over and call the hospital to come and get him, chouldnt breath or anything.. its possible to be allergic to bees and still not to scorpions..

Last edited by Kejser on 6/7/2008, 7:13 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
bjaeger
Leiurus
bjaeger

Number of posts : 2282
Registration date : 2008-04-29

PostSubject: Re: How long did it take to hold your first scorpion?   How long did it take to hold your first scorpion? Empty6/7/2008, 5:31 am

Thaedion wrote:
It took me 6 months to get the nerve to pick one up, and it happend to be an aggro Het from the pet store which also happened to be preggo. But I talked the store mgr down to 7.00$ if I took it out (of course it was a mis IDed Het in the P imp tank (on wood chips and bone dry) Suspecious )

I tried the gloved too when at home, they offer a flase sence of security because if they wanted to the scorp could pierce the pliable leater of work gloves and the like
Same here, Thaedion... 6 months. I was a wuss! Embarassed

<offtopic>Although, when I got my first T yesterday, it took less than an hour to let her crawl on me... and WOW T's are so fascinating with their webs..</offtopic>
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/brandonjaeger
electrophyste
Babycurus
electrophyste

Number of posts : 357
Registration date : 2008-05-09

PostSubject: Re: How long did it take to hold your first scorpion?   How long did it take to hold your first scorpion? Empty6/8/2008, 4:09 pm

i held my second scorp befor i held my first i got a 3in Pandinus Cavimanus wich was WAY less intimidating then my HUGE female P.imp. but once i held the little guy i had i scooped her right up. i lifted a bit of the coca fibers up from under them and like sifted the rest out from between my fingers and as soon as she was on she was comfy. i seen it be done on youtube

Although the second time she was in my palm my palm is flat, she was puting her tail down flat flush with my palm and spinning to try and tag my fingers. so the comment bout them not being too bright might be true but only to an extent
Back to top Go down
bjaeger
Leiurus
bjaeger

PostSubject: Re: How long did it take to hold your first scorpion?   How long did it take to hold your first scorpion? Empty6/8/2008, 4:31 pm

I think if she was trying to tag your finger she would've Wink

I'm getting my adult pair of Emps Tuesday. I can't say that I'm not going to be intimated by them yet. affraid
Back to top Go down
*Connie*
Post-whore
*Connie*

Number of posts : 3705

PostSubject: Re: How long did it take to hold your first scorpion?   How long did it take to hold your first scorpion? Empty6/8/2008, 4:51 pm

From what ive seen having a new cavimanus...compared to my imperators....they are far more grumpy...cavimanus that is!

Once the "emps"are out they become little gentle walking about angels....and when bothered to get the tail up takes a lot...ive noticed the cavimanus is always ready!!!
So dont be scared by your adult pair!
Back to top Go down
http://healingfromwithin.heavenforum.com/index.htm
lycanlord
Leiurus
lycanlord

PostSubject: Re: How long did it take to hold your first scorpion?   How long did it take to hold your first scorpion? Empty6/8/2008, 5:07 pm

Got a really good mate wich keeps scorps like me, he has been stung servel times by scorpions but no reaction, but last summer while driving on the highway he was allmost killed when he got stung by a bee, he had to pull over and call the hospital to come and get him, chouldnt breath or anything.. its possible to be allergic to bees and still not to scorpions..[/quote]

i understand that but the chemical make up of the two stings is simillar which is why as a genrelisation they say to be cautios if you are allergic to bees
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

Number of posts : 7743

PostSubject: Re: How long did it take to hold your first scorpion?   How long did it take to hold your first scorpion? Empty6/9/2008, 12:13 am

Not necessarily. Bee venom is mostly anti-inflammatory and cytotoxic with only a small amount of neurotoxins. Scorpion venom is mostly neurotoxins.
Back to top Go down
lycanlord
Leiurus
lycanlord

PostSubject: Re: How long did it take to hold your first scorpion?   How long did it take to hold your first scorpion? Empty6/9/2008, 5:07 am

i know but still you have to appreciate somone who is sensitive to either venoms, would be more likely to show symptoms to the other. i dont mean to say if ur allergic to bees ur gunna die if a scorp tags you lol
Back to top Go down
bjaeger
Leiurus
bjaeger

PostSubject: Re: How long did it take to hold your first scorpion?   How long did it take to hold your first scorpion? Empty6/9/2008, 1:27 pm

My juvi Emp almost tagged me last night. I was going to take him out of the contaminated enclosure and I put my right hand in front of him and nudged his tail a bit with my other. The little butthead pinched my right hand even though it wasn't moving!
Back to top Go down
scorpion111
Post-whore
scorpion111

Number of posts : 3455
Registration date : 2008-04-07

PostSubject: Re: How long did it take to hold your first scorpion?   How long did it take to hold your first scorpion? Empty6/9/2008, 2:02 pm

i waited a week till it got settled, then tailed it. it freaked out and i nearly got myself stung i tried 30 minutes later, and got it. Suspecious
Back to top Go down
RoyalCityReptiles
Pandinus

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2008-06-06

PostSubject: Re: How long did it take to hold your first scorpion?   How long did it take to hold your first scorpion? Empty6/9/2008, 2:22 pm

when I got my first Emp , around 8 years ago, I picked it up out of the tank at the LPS, and but him into the kritter keeper... so ya... Picked it up before I even owned him!!

-Nate
Back to top Go down
electrophyste
Babycurus
electrophyste

Number of posts : 357
Registration date : 2008-05-09

PostSubject: Re: How long did it take to hold your first scorpion?   How long did it take to hold your first scorpion? Empty6/10/2008, 9:43 am

Connie your right
cavimanus is more agressive,
I would have NEVER tryed to pick up my adult!
i had to get rid of him becase i couldnt even change his freakin water without him being after my hand lol
But my juvinile cavimanus was laid back and pritty chilled
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How long did it take to hold your first scorpion?   How long did it take to hold your first scorpion? Empty

Back to top Go down

How long did it take to hold your first scorpion?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next