The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

Smeringurus Mesaensis care

Go down 
AuthorMessage
jmoran1097
Hadogenes
jmoran1097

Number of posts : 94
Registration date : 2008-05-19

Smeringurus Mesaensis care Empty
PostSubject: Smeringurus Mesaensis care   Smeringurus Mesaensis care Empty6/6/2008, 10:38 am

Family:Vaejovidae
Genus:Smeringurus
Species: Mesaenesis
Common Names: Dune scorpion, Arizona Dune Scorpion, and California Dune Scorpion just to name a few.
Smeringurus Mesaensis care 100_0660

Range/Location: Desert dunes of Arizona, California, and Nevada.

Max size: 3"-4.5"

Captive Care

Housing: Adults will do just fine in a 2.5-5 gal. enclosure. However, this is RECOMMENDED because I've seen adults kept in much smaller ones than this, however, they like to scurry around everywhere so the larger, the better.

Substrate: Sand that has been moistened to dry in order to provide stable burrowing substrate, HOWEVER this is entirely optional if you provide some sort of hide. (Refer to "Decorations")

Decorations: None are really necessary since they can burrow in sand, BUT if you don't wish to provide a "burrow-allowing" substrate like the hard packed sand, at least place a flat rock or piece of driftwood inside the enclosure. Trust me, they will disappear underneath cover almost instantaneously.

Temperature/Humidity: Ideal temps for this sp. are 78-90 F. (Room temperature is just fine for most, if not all, scorpions. However, it is recommended for optimum growth that a heat source is provided.) Ideal humidity for this sp. is DRY. If you feel inclined to mist a partial side of the enclosure then do so ONCE a month. They are able to obtain moisture from their prey, but it's always better to be safe than sorry, right?

Feeding: S.Mesaenesis are heavy eaters. I find that they will consistently eat right up until pre-molt, but that they eat abnormally more than any of my other scorpion species will. Crickets, roaches, and mealworms will work just fine as prey items. I've found that they kill the prey and then drag it under the rock or into their burrow to consume it.

Communal Adaptivity: NOT recommended for this species no matter how large the enclosure is. As I've already stated, this species is an aggressive feeder and they will not hesitate to kill/consume other scorpions smaller than itself.

Behavior

Temperment: First off, did I mention that these guys are FAST? When I say fast, I literally mean FAST FAST FAST. They are usually skittish and reluctant to leave the solitude of their hides when there is light, but at night, they are pretty active. I've also concluded that they won't sting easily (unless cornered), but instead will evade whoever it may be by just skuttling off at lightning speeds. I DO NOT recommend holding any scorpion unless you are an experienced keeper, but especially S.Mesaenesis because it would be impossible to not have one run off of you and disappear.

Venom: I've read varying reports, but I will conclude at maybe a 2. Stings, which apparently feel like hornet stings, seem to subside after hour-few hours with an icepack placed at the sting site. (Refer to sting reports on different websites for a more accurate description)

Breeding: I have not bred any of my S.Mesaenesis yet, but I will edit this section of the caresheet once I do.

I'd just like to say that this is one of my favorite scorpion species to raise because of their awesome translucent neon-yellowish coloration, their speed, and their feeding capabilities. Show caution and respect for these guys because they will show you a quick sting or speedy escape if you do not.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/moranspace

Smeringurus Mesaensis care
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!-
Jump to: