The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

desert species question

Go down 
+2
Envyizm
emperor5
6 posters
AuthorMessage
emperor5
Tityus
emperor5

Number of posts : 516
Registration date : 2012-06-09

desert species question Empty
PostSubject: desert species question   desert species question Empty8/7/2012, 11:11 pm

im not to familiar with different desert species of scorpions, i just ordered a dune scorpion from ken the bug guy, over night shipping, it will be here tomorow....... and im starting to look for another desert species to get, i know the dune scorpions venom is a 2 on a 1-5 scale... now im looking for a desert species that has a 3 venom potency....i was going to get a A. Australis, but there venom is a 5 , so im looking for one thats a 3. does any one have any suggestions ???? i dont want a scorpion that is small when its fully grown, im looking for one thats atleast 3.5 inches when fully grown.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/androctonus.australis.5
emperor5
Tityus
emperor5

PostSubject: Re: desert species question   desert species question Empty8/7/2012, 11:18 pm

oh yeah i forgot to say something, im not looking for a bark scorpion.... im looking for a ground-dweller.....
Back to top Go down
Envyizm
Breeder
Envyizm

Number of posts : 238
Registration date : 2010-05-24

PostSubject: Re: desert species question   desert species question Empty8/8/2012, 12:06 am

I'd go for the available Hottentotta on the market. I'm not really familiar with the 1-5 scale as it merely serves as an almost arbitrary reference, but I'm guessing most Hottentotta, with the exception of tamulus, range around a 3-4 on that scale. Maybe purchase of scorpions based on their adaptive traits rather than a 1-5 venom scale collective would serve as a better way to organize your collection as well as map your future purchases. Good luck!
Back to top Go down
http://www.insectgeeks.com/Envyizm
Scorpion19981000
Administrator
Scorpion19981000

Number of posts : 1895
Registration date : 2011-07-03

PostSubject: Re: desert species question   desert species question Empty8/8/2012, 1:21 am

Envyizm wrote:
I'd go for the available Hottentotta on the market. I'm not really familiar with the 1-5 scale as it merely serves as an almost arbitrary reference, but I'm guessing most Hottentotta, with the exception of tamulus, range around a 3-4 on that scale. Maybe purchase of scorpions based on their adaptive traits rather than a 1-5 venom scale collective would serve as a better way to organize your collection as well as map your future purchases. Good luck!
+1.
Hadrurus and Ophistothalmus species are also nice. (Although, they do like to burrow.) Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.scorpionforum.darkbb.com
emperor5
Tityus
emperor5

PostSubject: Re: desert species question   desert species question Empty8/8/2012, 12:21 pm

alright cool thanks im going to look into them i found a list of that species online im looking at them now, yeah i just didnt wanna go from something with weak venom to something thats deadly, so somthing in between Very Happy thanks
Back to top Go down
shadowfoot
Parabuthus
shadowfoot

Number of posts : 1296
Registration date : 2012-01-18

PostSubject: Re: desert species question   desert species question Empty8/8/2012, 1:06 pm

All the scorps listed are good choices. You can also go for Scorpio maurus.
Back to top Go down
shebeen
Tityus
shebeen

Number of posts : 507
Registration date : 2011-05-15

PostSubject: Re: desert species question   desert species question Empty8/8/2012, 5:41 pm

You might also consider Parabuthus liosoma. Adult males average around 3 inches, females around 4 inches. LD50 toxicity is 5.0 mg/kg (3 on your 1-5 scale)--won't kill you, unless you're allergic, but will definitely ruin your day or two. Desert dwelling opportunistic burrower.

Scorpio maurus are on the small side; adults average 2-3 inches. S. maurus, Hadrurus sp. and Opisthophthalmus sp. are obligate burrowers requiring deep packed substrate that will hold burrows and tunnels. Expect to spend a couple of weeks setting up a proper enclosure for them, e.g., drying the substrate. And expect it to be quite heavy when completed.

Some species of Hottentotta are parthenogenetic, so you'll end up with offspring whether you want them or not.
Back to top Go down
shadowfoot
Parabuthus
shadowfoot

Number of posts : 1296
Registration date : 2012-01-18

PostSubject: Re: desert species question   desert species question Empty8/8/2012, 5:58 pm

Parabuthus liosoma could also work, but they are quite venomous.
I dont know where you live, but if you can find them, get some of the Uroplectes spp. They are on the small side, but they are great display scorps and they are not that venomous. The best species to get are U. olivaceus, U. carinatus, U. triangulifer or U. fischeri. They also have some great patterns and colours.
Back to top Go down
Callum B
Administrator
Callum B

Number of posts : 1096
Registration date : 2008-09-21

PostSubject: Re: desert species question   desert species question Empty8/8/2012, 6:30 pm

I'm guessing from the OPs other post, because they ordered from Ken the bug guy they're in the US.

It also looks like their new 'desert scorpion' is going to be an A. amoreuxi. It does meet most of the criteria at least, with the exception of the venom bit lol.
Back to top Go down
emperor5
Tityus
emperor5

PostSubject: Re: desert species question   desert species question Empty8/8/2012, 6:55 pm

yeah i didnt expect the new scorpion i ordered to be dead..... my plan was to get the dune scorpion and order another desert species next week, but i ordered one today becuase i wanted the scorpions to be here by friday....so i got the only desert species i was familiar with, the androctonus.... a little bit more venomous then what i was looking for. but thanks alot guys for the help Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: desert species question   desert species question Empty

Back to top Go down

desert species question
Page 1 of 1