The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

[Sharing] WHO POPPED TODAY? (Scorpion Babies!!)

Go down 
+15
msgtmmgn
KLN1988
sowhon
tfleming
Ovidiu
antmac
Jay
shadowfoot
Den
Scorpeace
Callum B
Wearelegion
DolbyR
Scorpion19981000
**GS**
19 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
AuthorMessage
Andrew Leigh
Centruroides

Number of posts : 107
Registration date : 2012-01-03

[Sharing] WHO POPPED TODAY? (Scorpion Babies!!) - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: [Sharing] WHO POPPED TODAY? (Scorpion Babies!!)   [Sharing] WHO POPPED TODAY? (Scorpion Babies!!) - Page 4 Empty10/20/2013, 12:05 am

Checked on her early this a.m. and she was eating a baby, from the looks of the brood size this was not the first either.

Do I seperate her and give her a meal?
Do I just allow nature to take it's course, she was eating until a couple of days before she popped?
Do I remove the slings and house them seperately?

Advice would be welcome.
Back to top Go down
shadowfoot
Parabuthus
shadowfoot

Number of posts : 1296
Registration date : 2012-01-18

PostSubject: Re: [Sharing] WHO POPPED TODAY? (Scorpion Babies!!)   [Sharing] WHO POPPED TODAY? (Scorpion Babies!!) - Page 4 Empty10/20/2013, 4:18 am

Are they still on the ground or has some climbed onto her back? If some has made it onto her back then you can leave her as is but if all of them are still on the ground then remove them and place them on moist paper towel. I think there is a HOW TO on here that explains how to raise abandoned 1i slings to 2i.
Edit:
So if they haven't gotten onboard yet, use this:
http://www.scorpion-forum.com/t8437-how-to-incubate-1instar-scorpling
Back to top Go down
Andrew Leigh
Centruroides

PostSubject: Re: [Sharing] WHO POPPED TODAY? (Scorpion Babies!!)   [Sharing] WHO POPPED TODAY? (Scorpion Babies!!) - Page 4 Empty10/20/2013, 11:09 am

Still on the ground 24 hours later, mommy is sleeping in the corner of the enclosure. Hopefully tonight she will return to them and they will hop on.
Back to top Go down
shadowfoot
Parabuthus
shadowfoot

Number of posts : 1296
Registration date : 2012-01-18

PostSubject: Re: [Sharing] WHO POPPED TODAY? (Scorpion Babies!!)   [Sharing] WHO POPPED TODAY? (Scorpion Babies!!) - Page 4 Empty10/20/2013, 12:22 pm

Good luck. Just remember that their mother would have provided moisture for them and they dry out fairly quickly so don't leave them for too long.
Back to top Go down
Andrew Leigh
Centruroides

PostSubject: Re: [Sharing] WHO POPPED TODAY? (Scorpion Babies!!)   [Sharing] WHO POPPED TODAY? (Scorpion Babies!!) - Page 4 Empty10/20/2013, 12:24 pm

Temp is 32 deg C and RH a constant 50%. If she is not with them tomorrow morning then they are coming out.
Back to top Go down
Andrew Leigh
Centruroides

PostSubject: Re: [Sharing] WHO POPPED TODAY? (Scorpion Babies!!)   [Sharing] WHO POPPED TODAY? (Scorpion Babies!!) - Page 4 Empty10/20/2013, 2:35 pm

Had a look tonight and she was chomping one.

I followed the advice in the thread. They are all in a seperate container, the tissue at the bottom is moist and there are holes in the top. The mother is refusing crickets.

I counted 75, there were 3 still borns and one badly out of shape with the ones she has eaten there must have been over 80.

If she takes a cricket would it be safe to return the babies or has the act of removing them stopped that.

Any advice guys?

Seeing the still borns make me wonder if she was eating those or the healthy ones, hope I have not buggered it up.
Back to top Go down
Den
Babycurus
Den

Number of posts : 290
Registration date : 2011-10-27

PostSubject: Re: [Sharing] WHO POPPED TODAY? (Scorpion Babies!!)   [Sharing] WHO POPPED TODAY? (Scorpion Babies!!) - Page 4 Empty10/20/2013, 3:59 pm

Andrew Leigh wrote:
Had a look tonight and she was chomping one.
I followed the advice in the thread. They are all in a seperate container, the tissue at the bottom is moist and there are holes in the top. The mother is refusing crickets.
I counted 75, there were 3 still borns and one badly out of shape with the ones she has eaten there must have been over 80.
If she takes a cricket would it be safe to return the babies or has the act of removing them stopped that.
Any advice guys?
Seeing the still borns make me wonder if she was eating those or the healthy ones, hope I have not buggered it up.

Ooooh, that was a dodgy call.....Who knows, you might strike out lucky and all or most of the young make it through to 2i. It's not undoable....but you shouldn't have intervened so early. There's more than a good chance that she was doing exactly what you surmised..eating the still born....I can understand how someone might panic slightly if they saw that but it's times like that you have to grab hold of the back of your belt and count to 50.
I suspect putting them back now would simply doom them all so you're kinda committed to taking over...allthough with there being so many i might try and place 3 or 5 back and observe for a couple of hours..you never know, it may pan out.

Edit:
Damn...should have read the rest of the thread. I assumed they were on the mothers back and you removed them because she had eaten one...Sorry mate!
Back to top Go down
Andrew Leigh
Centruroides

PostSubject: Re: [Sharing] WHO POPPED TODAY? (Scorpion Babies!!)   [Sharing] WHO POPPED TODAY? (Scorpion Babies!!) - Page 4 Empty10/20/2013, 4:18 pm

Jip, a nervous father, damn.

Put the 3 still borns in front of her as well as the crippled one, she ignored them. Put a perfect baby down and she immediately started eating it.

Don't know if it is effect or cause but perhaps she was eating them as the brood size had reduced based on the mass of swirling bodies. The babies had not yet climbed onto her back after 36 hours, don't know if this is normal.

Will be really angry with myslef if I has cocked it up.
Back to top Go down
Andrew Leigh
Centruroides

PostSubject: Re: [Sharing] WHO POPPED TODAY? (Scorpion Babies!!)   [Sharing] WHO POPPED TODAY? (Scorpion Babies!!) - Page 4 Empty10/21/2013, 3:09 am

A night has past and they do not look any the worse for wear. In fact a couple (probably the first borns) are looking rather frisky and are moving about the place independently. The rest remian in their little ball of comfort.

I am encouraged.

What is their first food, real tiny baby crickets?
Back to top Go down
Andrew Leigh
Centruroides

PostSubject: Re: [Sharing] WHO POPPED TODAY? (Scorpion Babies!!)   [Sharing] WHO POPPED TODAY? (Scorpion Babies!!) - Page 4 Empty10/24/2013, 2:42 pm

Well we are entering the 6th night that that have been alone and the slings are doing well and I can see no dead ones. I am really chuffed.

Changed the paper towel this afternoon and one sling appeared to have a growth on the head (could have been a grain or two of sand) and another seems to have an odd leg? Did not want to keep them out the enclosure too long so could not get a good look.
Back to top Go down
Andrew Leigh
Centruroides

PostSubject: Re: [Sharing] WHO POPPED TODAY? (Scorpion Babies!!)   [Sharing] WHO POPPED TODAY? (Scorpion Babies!!) - Page 4 Empty10/26/2013, 1:24 am

Waiting for the first moult now, tonight marks their 7th day on this planet.

[Sharing] WHO POPPED TODAY? (Scorpion Babies!!) - Page 4 BabyScorps
Back to top Go down
ogopogo5000
Hadogenes
ogopogo5000

Number of posts : 75
Registration date : 2013-07-21

PostSubject: Re: [Sharing] WHO POPPED TODAY? (Scorpion Babies!!)   [Sharing] WHO POPPED TODAY? (Scorpion Babies!!) - Page 4 Empty3/17/2014, 6:15 am

Andrew Leigh wrote:
Waiting for the first moult now, tonight marks their 7th day on this planet.

[Sharing] WHO POPPED TODAY? (Scorpion Babies!!) - Page 4 BabyScorps

is that A.bicolor?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: [Sharing] WHO POPPED TODAY? (Scorpion Babies!!)   [Sharing] WHO POPPED TODAY? (Scorpion Babies!!) - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

[Sharing] WHO POPPED TODAY? (Scorpion Babies!!)
Page 4 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4