The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

B jacksoni

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
lmiller
Centruroides
lmiller

Number of posts : 174
Registration date : 2011-11-22

B jacksoni Empty
PostSubject: B jacksoni   B jacksoni Empty1/27/2012, 1:36 pm

I will be getting a rusty thick tail tomorrow and was going to ask a few questions.
1. How fast is the average growth rate for these? (average being temps low to mid 80s and humidity 70 to 75%)
2. The one im getting is 1.5cm to 2 cm long. Any idea on what the instar would be?
3. Communal? I saw as babys they will resort to cannibalism, But what instar would be a safe time to introduce more of the same species?
4. Would 2 inches of substrate be sufficient?
5. And finally, Should a dry side with less heat be offered along with a hot n moist side?
Thanks for putting up with my ignorance, as I did read about and search for this species in the forum, but its like paying a hooker for conversation, you leave feeling like you didnt get everything you should have.

On a side note, I have the Desert Hairy and saw somewhere that humidity is good for them? I think it was another forum, in fact I know it was another forum. But I saw where they had moist soil for it to choose from. The whole time I had thought "NO HUMIDITY, NO WATER". And would a small computer fan (like the tiny ones in your comp tower) be good for air circulation?
Back to top Go down
Streettrash
Androctonus
Streettrash

Number of posts : 1836
Registration date : 2011-04-14

B jacksoni Empty
PostSubject: Re: B jacksoni   B jacksoni Empty1/27/2012, 10:04 pm

I can't answer your questions regarding the B. jacksoni as I've never kept, or been interested in them. I think GS may be able to help you there.

As for the Hadrurus, I keep mine bone dry and offer it a shallow bottle cap full of water every three or four weeks. I see it drink every time within minutes of the water being offered. For young instars, and juveniles humidity is an important factor for successful molts. Some people offer them deep burrowing substrate with a partial false bottom. The idea is that the moisture will be in the bottom of the substrate, and only in a portion of the tank. This allows the scorpion to burrow into it's desired humidity range. The substrate on the top will remain dry, and there will also be dry portions of burrow.
Back to top Go down
**GS**
Leiurus
**GS**

Number of posts : 2629
Registration date : 2010-09-06

B jacksoni Empty
PostSubject: Re: B jacksoni   B jacksoni Empty1/28/2012, 5:28 am

Hi lmiller bro,
Please see my reply in orange:

I will be getting a rusty thick tail tomorrow and was going to ask a few questions.
1. How fast is the average growth rate for these? (average being temps low to mid 80s and humidity 70 to 75%)
It's possible to attain adulthood in less then 10 months from 2.instar

2. The one im getting is 1.5cm to 2 cm long. Any idea on what the instar would be?
If it's 1.5-2cm (Chelicerae to telson), estimated 3.instar +

3. Communal? I saw as babys they will resort to cannibalism, But what instar would be a safe time to introduce more of the same species?
Yes, communal scorplings are prone to cannibalism. Recommended is to go for communal adults setup. If you have plenty to experiment with, it is safer from at least 4-5.instar

4. Would 2 inches of substrate be sufficient?
Yes, sufficient or not depends on the time you have for them.
For bark scorpions, depth of substrate is mainly used to maintain humidity.
E.g. greater depth holds humidity for a longer period of time, hence the time interval on misting/providing moisture for the substrate will be prolonged.

5. And finally, Should a dry side with less heat be offered along with a hot n moist side?
Not a necessity but it's always good to provide scorpions with such temp variation within their enclosure

Streettrash wrote:
As for the Hadrurus, I keep mine bone dry and offer it a shallow bottle cap full of water every three or four weeks. I see it drink every time within minutes of the water being offered. For young instars, and juveniles humidity is an important factor for successful molts. Some people offer them deep burrowing substrate with a partial false bottom. The idea is that the moisture will be in the bottom of the substrate, and only in a portion of the tank. This allows the scorpion to burrow into it's desired humidity range. The substrate on the top will remain dry, and there will also be dry portions of burrow.
+1
Back to top Go down
lmiller
Centruroides
lmiller

B jacksoni Empty
PostSubject: Re: B jacksoni   B jacksoni Empty2/5/2012, 5:48 pm

Ok I know its been a week since I was going to get one, but I finally did today. And I got 2 Smile
B jacksoni 03210
Heres a size comparison with a full size bic lighter, any idea on instar?
B jacksoni 03710
I dont know if it was angry or hungry but this one killed and was munching on a cricket within 3 mis of being in the new enclosure...
B jacksoni 03810
Back to top Go down
**GS**
Leiurus
**GS**

B jacksoni Empty
PostSubject: Re: B jacksoni   B jacksoni Empty2/6/2012, 1:38 pm

Able to get a clearer pic of the scorp with a ruler beside it?

For the one with your lighter as comparison, i'm guessing 4.instar

As for your last question, no doubt that she was hungry.

Vertical climb can be increase slightly (e.g. put putting the bark piece in the pics to a standing position, leaning against the wall etc) Do ensure sufficient clearance of the scorpion to the top lid.

Nice and cosy tanks btw Smile
Back to top Go down
lmiller
Centruroides
lmiller

B jacksoni Empty
PostSubject: Re: B jacksoni   B jacksoni Empty2/6/2012, 5:10 pm

Thanks GS. The tank is 18x18x18 cm inch cube fishtank that i washed and sterilized. I divided it with a piece of Plexi glass. I used some packing tape to line the corners where i siliconed the divider. Oh yeah I was thinking. Each scorp has about 9x18 cm floor space. I just did the locks and hasps today. The hasps are siliconed to the tank to prevent anything else "ladder" like. These pieces of bark will work right? Should I take the little pieces of cork bark out? Those are laying flat...
B jacksoni 00310
B jacksoni 00510
Only thing I think im lacking is water dishes. I will try to sneak a picture with a ruler when I catch one running around the tank. The stick on thermometer is off the tank now.

Heres the deal, these colors are awesome, and someday I think it would be nice to have a small communial tank. The odds are pretty good that these two are related. Same store, same day purchase..... what happens in the bug world when brothers and sisters get freaky? LOL. If they are both females I got nothing to worry about, theoretically.
Back to top Go down
**GS**
Leiurus
**GS**

B jacksoni Empty
PostSubject: Re: B jacksoni   B jacksoni Empty2/7/2012, 12:09 am

The new bark pieces in the slanting position against the wall is ideal. Helps to provide a alternative place for them to molt.

No need to remove the smaller pieces though. Sometimes, bark scorpions will fancy a spot in which they can rest their feet/bask under the heat and not doing it on a wet substrate. Plus they can have a rest from a cling-on to a standing bark piece 24/7 Smile

Yes, for instar 4 and up, i'll always recommend a small capful of water, if possible, maintain it to be filled at all times. (1-3 days interval of leaving the dish dry is fine so long as the substrate is not totally dried out). Small stones/pebbles can be placed as bedding, it helps to aid scorplings to climb out and also stabilizes the water dish. Place it right beside and touching the bark pieces, i'm sure you can catch it drinking while they had their feet clinging onto the bark pieces Smile

As for getting a communal colony growing, that'll be ideal. They are really gorgeous.
Not to worry about inbreeding though, so far i have not experience and read any negative impact that is worth raising an eyebrow. Of cos, as much as it is within my means, i'll still prefer a mating pair from different bloodline.

For some breeders, they usually order a bunch of slings and raise them to adulthood and inbreed, subsequently, new specimen from different bloodlines can be added to the colony.

Good luck!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

B jacksoni Empty
PostSubject: Re: B jacksoni   B jacksoni Empty

Back to top Go down

B jacksoni
Page 1 of 1