The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

South-African scorps ID? found two in my house

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Naja
Pandinus

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2011-12-03

South-African scorps ID? found two in my house Empty
PostSubject: South-African scorps ID? found two in my house   South-African scorps ID? found two in my house Empty12/3/2011, 11:43 am

South-African scorps ID? found two in my house Dsc02010
South-African scorps ID? found two in my house Dsc02011

Hi Im from South-Africa, I found them in my bathroom a week apart from each other on the very same spot Suspect
they are both about same size between 30-40mm Im new to scorps and I cant find a website to help me ID them I think
it might be uroplectes or parabuthus was hoping somebody could help me?
Back to top Go down
Streettrash
Androctonus
Streettrash

Number of posts : 1836
Registration date : 2011-04-14

PostSubject: Re: South-African scorps ID? found two in my house   South-African scorps ID? found two in my house Empty12/3/2011, 2:06 pm

Hey and welcome. I'm no expert on this by any means, but I think you may have some sort of Pseudolychas species there.
Back to top Go down
Naja
Pandinus

PostSubject: Re: South-African scorps ID? found two in my house   South-African scorps ID? found two in my house Empty12/3/2011, 4:24 pm

thanks man Smile I had lil booklet n they only had parabuthus n uroplectes in it so I thought it be one of those two but looking at Pseudolychas
looks like it Smile so if it stung me it only be painfull no medical attention needed?
Back to top Go down
Streettrash
Androctonus
Streettrash

PostSubject: Re: South-African scorps ID? found two in my house   South-African scorps ID? found two in my house Empty12/3/2011, 4:57 pm

Well in general I wouldn't recommend getting stung by any Buthid scorp as it wouldn't be fun. There are many different opinions on the subject of scorpion stings, but in a study tracking stings from Leiurus quinquestriatus the Deathstalker it showed that around 97% of the stings only produced local effects at the sight of the sting.

I'd still advise against handling any medically significant scorpion.
Back to top Go down
DolbyR
Leiurus
DolbyR

Number of posts : 2097
Registration date : 2011-01-03

PostSubject: Re: South-African scorps ID? found two in my house   South-African scorps ID? found two in my house Empty12/3/2011, 6:24 pm

What region of SA is that one from?
Back to top Go down
http://allscorpionarchives.forumotion.com
Naja
Pandinus

PostSubject: Re: South-African scorps ID? found two in my house   South-African scorps ID? found two in my house Empty12/5/2011, 5:27 am

Thanks Streettrash Very Happy I wont handle them, already had to convince my man to keep them dont wanne push my luck
I put them in pastic containers seperate from each other with small vent holes n lots of hides, wat humidy and temps do they need?
Will wild caughts adapt to captivity if I dont bug them at all and I give the alll their requirements?
Back to top Go down
Naja
Pandinus

PostSubject: Re: South-African scorps ID? found two in my house   South-African scorps ID? found two in my house Empty12/5/2011, 5:38 am

Sup DolbyR Smile
They from Gauteng, not allowed to send u link yet but u can just wiki Gauteng
dont know how much u know about SA Smile

Back to top Go down
DolbyR
Leiurus
DolbyR

PostSubject: Re: South-African scorps ID? found two in my house   South-African scorps ID? found two in my house Empty12/5/2011, 5:47 am

Never been there, but I have friends in Mpumalanga so I'm learning something new each day Smile
Back to top Go down
Streettrash
Androctonus
Streettrash

PostSubject: Re: South-African scorps ID? found two in my house   South-African scorps ID? found two in my house Empty12/6/2011, 12:44 am

I'd say that since you found them in a home they will probably do fine at room temperature. Most scorps will do just fine in the upper seventies to low eighties F. They should adjust to captivity just fine with proper care. For the time being I would suggest putting them into an enclosure that is misted only on one side. It will choose a spot where it feels comfortable.
Back to top Go down
Naja
Pandinus

PostSubject: Re: South-African scorps ID? found two in my house   South-African scorps ID? found two in my house Empty12/9/2011, 4:31 am

Never been to mpumalanga Smile if I have I was to small to remember, Im from the North-West provence just moved here 3months ago
never ever thought I would find scorpions in Gauteng way to populated here Smile Murphys law
Back to top Go down
Naja
Pandinus

PostSubject: Re: South-African scorps ID? found two in my house   South-African scorps ID? found two in my house Empty12/9/2011, 4:40 am

I am keeping them at room temperature right now and I have misted them but I will only mist one side like you said it makes sence,
wat type of insects do they eat I have new born madagascar hissing roaches and allot of silkworms and mealworms, I often buy crickets
do they favour some insects? And water dish? I read somewhere you only give adults water dishes?
Back to top Go down
Streettrash
Androctonus
Streettrash

PostSubject: Re: South-African scorps ID? found two in my house   South-African scorps ID? found two in my house Empty12/9/2011, 11:15 pm

They should have no problem with roach nymphs and crickets as a staple. The occasional meal worm won't hurt them, but they are kind of fatty for regular feeding.

You can offer a water dish that is appropriately sized, and shallow. The dish should be small and shallow enough for the scorpion to get out of it if it needs to. you can put pebbles in it if you want to, but as long as it isn't super deep and not large enough for the scorpion to get it's entire body in it, you will be fine without them. I'm not sure what your climate is like there, but frequency of water availability should be based of that. Mist/offer water more if you live in a humid/wet climate. You may also spray water droplets onto the glass in a corner if you don't want to offer a dish. Your scorpion will drink water right off the side of it's enclosure.
Back to top Go down
Naja
Pandinus

PostSubject: Re: South-African scorps ID? found two in my house   South-African scorps ID? found two in my house Empty12/25/2011, 7:40 am

Thanks for all the info Trash, we moved since I send my last reply not to far from our previous house and while we where busy moving I found a third scorpion in the previous house under our toolbox this guy looked exactly the same only fatter Smile
All three of them had a newborn mad hissing roach so I'm happy they eating Smile
I gave them shallow water dishes just like you said and they seem to be doing good. How often do I feed them? Do you judge their tummy size like spiders?
As soon as we get internet set up in our new house I will post more photos
Back to top Go down
DolbyR
Leiurus
DolbyR

PostSubject: Re: South-African scorps ID? found two in my house   South-African scorps ID? found two in my house Empty12/25/2011, 8:41 am

Quote :
How often do I feed them? Do you judge their tummy size like spiders?

Not really.. just feed them once a week.
Back to top Go down
Naja
Pandinus

PostSubject: Re: South-African scorps ID? found two in my house   South-African scorps ID? found two in my house Empty1/11/2012, 2:14 pm

South-African scorps ID? found two in my house Dsc02012
This picture of the third one I found its slightly bigger than the first two
Back to top Go down
Naja
Pandinus

PostSubject: Re: South-African scorps ID? found two in my house   South-African scorps ID? found two in my house Empty1/11/2012, 2:17 pm

South-African scorps ID? found two in my house Dsc02110
I found them on three separate occasions and kept them all separate from each other.
The first two got babies one 11 and other two Smile here a photo of the 11
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: South-African scorps ID? found two in my house   South-African scorps ID? found two in my house Empty

Back to top Go down

South-African scorps ID? found two in my house
Page 1 of 1