The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

Pet Store Emperor

Go down 
+5
_scorpio_
Annababe
Scorpion19981000
Streettrash
ariusshadow
9 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
ariusshadow
Pandinus

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2011-10-06

Pet Store Emperor - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pet Store Emperor   Pet Store Emperor - Page 2 Empty10/13/2011, 2:26 pm

I might try bringing that idea up to him, Chrome.

On the bringing it home topic:
My original instincts are to say I have too many animals already. Which I do. 4 rabbits, all in separate cages, which takes up a bit of room, 1 rat, 13 mice (pets, not feeders), 1 betta, 1 sandfish (skink). All in an 8x10 room. I have presently a 1' wide path from door to bed. That's it. I'm not allowed to expand outside of my room. I really don't have the room for a 5 gallon- finding room for the vase my betta's in was hard enough. :/ Because it's also the rest of my stuff- a full bookshelf (mouse aquarium on one shelf), a dresser, ect... The room is pretty much floor-to-ceiling on all sides except for where my bed is.
With that said, the idea of taking him home could still always be "I'll find room". As it's always like that with me. Razz I consider myself a pro at stacking cages. However... this won't fix the problem... it's just a band-aid. The fact of the matter is, we will probably have other scorpions/arachnids in the future. And as such, my taking it home every time will not be a reliable solution. One tank, sure, maybe I can fit it. But what happens when the next animal order comes through? I'd much rather attempt to educate the guy, or make a compromise on the conditions of the enclosure, than have to take the scorpions home each time we get one in to avoid him not keeping it well. It just doesn't sound like a useful solution to the problem.
Back to top Go down
Chrome
Tityus
Chrome

Number of posts : 505
Registration date : 2009-08-03

PostSubject: Re: Pet Store Emperor   Pet Store Emperor - Page 2 Empty10/13/2011, 8:37 pm

Well obviously you just need to sell off all your other pets for scorpion room, duh.
Back to top Go down
Annababe
Tityus
Annababe

Number of posts : 834
Registration date : 2011-06-30

PostSubject: Re: Pet Store Emperor   Pet Store Emperor - Page 2 Empty10/14/2011, 12:29 am

Chrome wrote:
Well obviously you just need to sell off all your other pets for scorpion room, duh.

Well said Sir! LOL Pet Store Emperor - Page 2 129887
Back to top Go down
shining
Parabuthus
shining

Number of posts : 1162
Registration date : 2011-05-28

PostSubject: Re: Pet Store Emperor   Pet Store Emperor - Page 2 Empty10/14/2011, 1:59 am

Chrome wrote:
Pet Store Emperor - Page 2 129887

ariusshadow.that is true,a band aid that will be.your dm and manager need to be informed and the suggestion chrome said will work like a charm.the petco by my house does the same thing and all is dandy.a good compromise
Back to top Go down
_scorpio_
Androctonus
_scorpio_

Number of posts : 1827
Registration date : 2008-04-11

PostSubject: Re: Pet Store Emperor   Pet Store Emperor - Page 2 Empty10/14/2011, 2:59 pm

your right, if he sells one he will probably get 2 more.
however, 2 complaints:
1 your betta is in a worse enclosure than the emp. get it out of the vase and keep the thing in a proper filtered tank. it doesnt have to be huge but come on, they dont live in vases in the wild.
for more info and the answers to the usual counter-arguments of people keeping bettas incorrectly, please go to: http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk

secondly, you can keep more than that in your room, you just got to stack them better. i have a room smaller than yours with vastly more in it, and a good knowledge of how to play tetris and build a dry stone wall means there is absolutely no wasted space Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Back to top Go down
ariusshadow
Pandinus

PostSubject: Re: Pet Store Emperor   Pet Store Emperor - Page 2 Empty10/14/2011, 3:17 pm

Haha... I've use the Tetris metaphor for cages before. Razz
I know the betta's not in the best kept space at the moment. It's only meant to be temporary. I'm trying to shuffle things about really... I want the dresser sold and something smaller to replace it (more room for cages Very Happy) I want to up him to a 2.5 soon, then a 5 gal once I get rid of the dresser.
But yeah... As much as I like the little emp... I don't think I really want to own it. I'd much rather educate him on how to properly care for it than worry about the **** I'll get for bringing a scorpion in the house. >-> Others in this house would /not/ be as pleased as some of us... And yeah, he'll probably order more. Taking her home would save her and hurt the others he brings in.
I will definitely see what he says about the idea Chrome brought up.
Back to top Go down
_scorpio_
Androctonus
_scorpio_

PostSubject: Re: Pet Store Emperor   Pet Store Emperor - Page 2 Empty10/14/2011, 3:20 pm

do you still sleep in the room you keep the animals in? if so then move out to make more room, thats what i did Very Happy
Back to top Go down
ariusshadow
Pandinus

PostSubject: Re: Pet Store Emperor   Pet Store Emperor - Page 2 Empty10/14/2011, 3:22 pm

_scorpio_ wrote:
do you still sleep in the room you keep the animals in? if so then move out to make more room, thats what i did Very Happy

Can't. No room to do so. Plus I'm not allowed. I'd be thrown out. :/ Otherwise, trust me, I would. I got accustomed to having a 'rabbit room' a few years ago. It was /awesome/ to have that. But I'm just not able to do that here.
Back to top Go down
_scorpio_
Androctonus
_scorpio_

PostSubject: Re: Pet Store Emperor   Pet Store Emperor - Page 2 Empty10/14/2011, 3:54 pm

get rid of the rabbits
Back to top Go down
ariusshadow
Pandinus

PostSubject: Re: Pet Store Emperor   Pet Store Emperor - Page 2 Empty10/14/2011, 5:34 pm

Excuse me but my rabbits come first. They're my kids. I'm not getting rid of any of them for a scorpion I somewhat like from work. :/ I understand you guys like invertebrates better because of the nature of the forum I'm on... But I like small and furry more than arachnids. I don't feel the same as you. Sorry.. :/
Back to top Go down
_scorpio_
Androctonus
_scorpio_

PostSubject: Re: Pet Store Emperor   Pet Store Emperor - Page 2 Empty10/14/2011, 5:57 pm

lol i have mammals too, its just the rabbits take up so much space that they dont go in the invert room. though i am being a bit contradictory as the 2'x3'x6' degu cage does take up too much space in there!
Back to top Go down
shining
Parabuthus
shining

Number of posts : 1162
Registration date : 2011-05-28

PostSubject: Re: Pet Store Emperor   Pet Store Emperor - Page 2 Empty10/14/2011, 6:01 pm

to each their own.
i like rabbits but i could not live with mice or rats ever again.one tank turned into two to three tanks and a disgusting smell i had to handle too often.i dont know how you could live in that.
im starting to worry about your own husbandry.you need to take care of yourself!
Back to top Go down
_scorpio_
Androctonus
_scorpio_

PostSubject: Re: Pet Store Emperor   Pet Store Emperor - Page 2 Empty10/14/2011, 6:08 pm

yeah mammals do get boring when your keeping inverts and reptiles. they demand feeding every day and a full clean out once a week in most cases. once you have kept a flat rock scorp and never had to clean it out (you just eventually get bored of the layout and re-arrange it) and only been able to feed it at the most 10 times a year, the small mammals seem like a lot of work! still i persist with them and have the same number of mammals as arachinds (for now Twisted Evil )
Back to top Go down
Streettrash
Androctonus
Streettrash

Number of posts : 1836
Registration date : 2011-04-14

PostSubject: Re: Pet Store Emperor   Pet Store Emperor - Page 2 Empty10/14/2011, 9:35 pm

I love my fuzzy little bunnies. Will probably never be without a rabbit again.
Back to top Go down
ariusshadow
Pandinus

PostSubject: Re: Pet Store Emperor   Pet Store Emperor - Page 2 Empty10/14/2011, 9:45 pm

Streettrash wrote:
I love my fuzzy little bunnies. Will probably never be without a rabbit again.

Ditto. I will always probably have a rabbit and at least 2 rats. I couldn't imagine my life without them. <3
Back to top Go down
Streettrash
Androctonus
Streettrash

Number of posts : 1836
Registration date : 2011-04-14

PostSubject: Re: Pet Store Emperor   Pet Store Emperor - Page 2 Empty10/14/2011, 9:47 pm

I had to stop keeping rats. Their life span is just too short and I get really attached to them. They are really smart and friendly animals if you give them a chance.
Back to top Go down
ariusshadow
Pandinus

PostSubject: Re: Pet Store Emperor   Pet Store Emperor - Page 2 Empty10/14/2011, 9:54 pm

Keeping a small colony give you a chance to still have the ratty love after one passes. Once my single girl goes, I'm starting a small colony. I have a 4 level ferret cage and Lei's hoggin' it all to herself. Razz

*note to anyone that sees "single rat" and spazzes- she was paired with her sister, who died early. I love on her several times throughout the day. She's not a very social rat regardless. She's always been on the moody side... She's in a large cage with enough enrichment to keep her happy and healthy. She's older. And cannot be introduced to any new rats. She hisses at first sight. I wouldn't trust trying it even if she did get used to them.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Pet Store Emperor   Pet Store Emperor - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Pet Store Emperor
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2