The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

Gravid?!

Go down 
5 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Pink Floyd
Pandinus
Pink Floyd

Number of posts : 34
Registration date : 2011-07-26

Gravid?! - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gravid?!   Gravid?! - Page 2 Empty9/4/2011, 11:03 pm

That definitely looks right. The head patterns are the easiest give away to me.
Back to top Go down
Streettrash
Androctonus
Streettrash

Number of posts : 1836
Registration date : 2011-04-14

Gravid?! - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gravid?!   Gravid?! - Page 2 Empty9/4/2011, 11:21 pm

Yeah. They definitely have a cool pattern on them. Good finds for sure! As for the smaller one it's probably going to molt. I'd say either way bump up the temperature and humidity for it. How warm are you keeping it?
Back to top Go down
Pink Floyd
Pandinus
Pink Floyd

Gravid?! - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gravid?!   Gravid?! - Page 2 Empty9/5/2011, 12:31 am

The entire time I've had it, temperature has been around 60 deg. I just now put him in a ten gallon tank, though. I've got one heat lamp that could raise the temperature to 80 deg but the problem is, I'm currently using it to incubate cricket eggs. I will probably turn this off at night though. I'm new to cricket breeding so I'm not sure if the light needs to always be on but in the wild they don't even have the treat of 80+ degrees temperatures to incubate so I think they'll be fine through the night.

Do you suggest I put the light over the scorpion home? And since I'm new to this, does it need to be on always (overnight, etc). Or should I make an exception for tonight due to a likely molt that hasn't taken place yet?
Back to top Go down
Streettrash
Androctonus
Streettrash

Gravid?! - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gravid?!   Gravid?! - Page 2 Empty9/5/2011, 12:56 am

I'd say that the low temperature is definitely culprit for it being premolt for so long. I'd put the lamp on the scorp tank and stick the cricket tub next to it for now. You can shut it off at night, or switch from tank to tank if you want to. I'd advise keeping your scorpion at eighty degrees at least during the day. I doubt if it will molt tonight with increased temperatures, but it should help it to molt much sooner. Scorpions that are not kept warm enough will vegetate between molts, and eventually will die. I suspect it will start eating more regularly as well, even as fat as it is.
Back to top Go down
Pink Floyd
Pandinus
Pink Floyd

Gravid?! - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gravid?!   Gravid?! - Page 2 Empty9/5/2011, 1:07 am

Cool! I have another question, do you know if this species can be housed together? As you know I have another one as well. Like if I add more hides will the molting one be able to mind his business and the other as well, etc.

I'm honestly not sure if the light should be on or off at night for the crickets but I suppose that's irrelevant to this forum. Maybe I'll keep it on for a little bit, or something.
Back to top Go down
Streettrash
Androctonus
Streettrash

Gravid?! - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gravid?!   Gravid?! - Page 2 Empty9/5/2011, 1:10 am

Not sure of the communality of them. I'd say wait until after the molt to try though.

Keeping your light on the crickets at night won't hurt them. It will speed up their metabolism so that they will live/breed/die faster though. Same with scorpions.
Back to top Go down
Pink Floyd
Pandinus
Pink Floyd

Gravid?! - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gravid?!   Gravid?! - Page 2 Empty9/5/2011, 1:12 am

Probably best to wait, yeah. For the crickets, my concern was them getting too cold without the light on overnight.
Back to top Go down
Streettrash
Androctonus
Streettrash

Gravid?! - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gravid?!   Gravid?! - Page 2 Empty9/5/2011, 1:16 am

I wouldn't worry about it, but if it is a serious concern you can always get a heating pad, or another lamp for them.
Back to top Go down
Pink Floyd
Pandinus
Pink Floyd

Gravid?! - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gravid?!   Gravid?! - Page 2 Empty9/5/2011, 1:21 am

Hmm, in nature they don't need.

Cool, thanks for your info. I'll turn the lamp on all night for the crickets and on the scorpion in the daytime.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Gravid?! - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gravid?!   Gravid?! - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Gravid?!
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2