The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

Scorpling separation

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
WyattEarp4137
Babycurus
WyattEarp4137

Number of posts : 397
Registration date : 2011-05-16

Scorpling separation Empty
PostSubject: Scorpling separation   Scorpling separation Empty5/19/2011, 11:39 am

Howdy,
My wee beasties will be ready to go off on their own as soon as they harden up after their first or second molt? Also, I am planning to separate them all into their own little tank, any tips on how to move them without killing them? Thanks all!
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

Number of posts : 7743
Registration date : 2008-02-06

PostSubject: Re: Scorpling separation   Scorpling separation Empty5/19/2011, 12:19 pm

After their first molt (which means they'll be at second instar).

Easiest way to separate is to first remove mom, so you don't have to deal with a venomous pinchy bodyguard. Razz Then scoop them up individually with a spoon.
Back to top Go down
Bedlam
Tityus
Bedlam

Number of posts : 548
Registration date : 2011-04-03

PostSubject: Re: Scorpling separation   Scorpling separation Empty5/19/2011, 8:40 pm

Mr. Mordax wrote:
After their first molt (which means they'll be at second instar).

Easiest way to separate is to first remove mom, so you don't have to deal with a venomous pinchy bodyguard. Razz Then scoop them up individually with a spoon.

+1

Also, make sure the 2nd enclosure is ready of course.
Back to top Go down
WyattEarp4137
Babycurus
WyattEarp4137

PostSubject: Re: Scorpling separation   Scorpling separation Empty5/20/2011, 12:46 pm

Ok cool, thanks guys. Also, how old are the scorplings usually when they go through their first molt? I don't want to be caught in the middle of moving out of college while they are trying to molt. Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Bedlam
Tityus
Bedlam

Number of posts : 548
Registration date : 2011-04-03

PostSubject: Re: Scorpling separation   Scorpling separation Empty5/20/2011, 12:51 pm

Ranges from 1 week to 2 weeks. You'll know because they'll move off her back on their own.
Back to top Go down
WyattEarp4137
Babycurus
WyattEarp4137

PostSubject: Re: Scorpling separation   Scorpling separation Empty5/20/2011, 4:56 pm

Alrighty. Sounds simple enough. After they have molted, how long do I need to wait to remove mom? And after that how long until the babies harden enough to be moved? For when I set up tanks for the babies, can I mis potting soil in with the wood chips I have now or is that not reccommendable due to possibility if fertalizers etc.? I'm trying to find some low budget ways to make my emp tank a little bit better for her and the babies when they move out. Thanks All!
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

Number of posts : 7743
Registration date : 2008-02-06

PostSubject: Re: Scorpling separation   Scorpling separation Empty5/23/2011, 11:45 am

I'd say remove mom when they're hard enough to move; just do it all at once.

As for substrate, I'd suggest going with coco fiber or peat moss. Even "organic" soils can have fertilizers or pesticides in them.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Scorpling separation   Scorpling separation Empty

Back to top Go down

Scorpling separation
Page 1 of 1