The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

Opistophthalmus glabrifrons

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Callum B
Administrator
Callum B

Number of posts : 1096
Registration date : 2008-09-21

Opistophthalmus glabrifrons Empty
PostSubject: Opistophthalmus glabrifrons   Opistophthalmus glabrifrons Empty4/28/2011, 5:30 am

Heres a few pics of my two O. glabrifrons that arrived last week. I apologise for the quality but they were taken on my crappy old camera.

[img]Opistophthalmus glabrifrons DSC00271[/img]

Opistophthalmus glabrifrons DSC00273

Opistophthalmus glabrifrons DSC00277
As you can see this one decided that it would be a good idea to have a chew on the paper towels it was packed in lol.

[img]Opistophthalmus glabrifrons DSC00279[/img]

These guys are awesome. They are really bulky, impressive scorpions. The one with the tissue in its mouth was particularly up for it lol. Gave a few jabs of its tail when I was moving it and kept hissing at me lol. I'd completely forgot that this species could hiss so at first I was like 'what the f is that noise' lol. I thought there was an escapee rustling about in the shredded paper packing lol.
Back to top Go down
Chrome
Tityus
Chrome

Number of posts : 505
Registration date : 2009-08-03

PostSubject: Re: Opistophthalmus glabrifrons   Opistophthalmus glabrifrons Empty4/28/2011, 11:55 pm

Always laugh when I see these, they remind me of badly drawn cartoon scorpion.
Back to top Go down
Bedlam
Tityus
Bedlam

Number of posts : 548
Registration date : 2011-04-03

PostSubject: Re: Opistophthalmus glabrifrons   Opistophthalmus glabrifrons Empty4/29/2011, 12:58 am

He looks awesome Callum B.
Back to top Go down
corpselight
Babycurus

Number of posts : 251
Registration date : 2008-08-08

PostSubject: Re: Opistophthalmus glabrifrons   Opistophthalmus glabrifrons Empty5/26/2011, 7:07 am

nice beast, Callum!
i got two of the spidershop's version of these. i want to try to key them out, though, as the colouration is very different, not that that means anything Smile
Back to top Go down
Callum B
Administrator
Callum B

PostSubject: Re: Opistophthalmus glabrifrons   Opistophthalmus glabrifrons Empty5/26/2011, 7:20 am

When I was looking at the spidershop site I think they had got O. glabrifrons and O. wahlbergii mixed up. Are yours darker than my two? If they are I think they are O. wahlbergii even though they were labelled as O. glabrifrons on the site. I did email them saying that it looked like they had got the two labelled the wrong way around but I didn't here anything back.
Care is exactly the same though.
Back to top Go down
Jay
SCORPIONMOD
Jay

Number of posts : 1250
Registration date : 2010-05-05

PostSubject: Re: Opistophthalmus glabrifrons   Opistophthalmus glabrifrons Empty5/26/2011, 7:21 am

I got one of these picked up for me at the BTS and it's quite abit darker than that one, I'll get a pic later, are your ones from spidershop darker than this one?

Feisty beasts none the less.
Back to top Go down
http://inkandvenom.multiply.com/
Callum B
Administrator
Callum B

PostSubject: Re: Opistophthalmus glabrifrons   Opistophthalmus glabrifrons Empty5/26/2011, 7:31 am

Apparently colouration of O. wahlbergii is very variable (from yellow to dark brown) depending on where it was collected where as O. glabrifrons tends to have much less variation. Usually being a mucky yellow/ light brown colour.
A good way to tell the difference is to look at the hand part of the chelae. If it is strongly granulated it is O. glabrifrons and if it is nearly smooth it is O. wahlbergii.
Back to top Go down
Jay
SCORPIONMOD
Jay

Number of posts : 1250
Registration date : 2010-05-05

PostSubject: Re: Opistophthalmus glabrifrons   Opistophthalmus glabrifrons Empty5/26/2011, 12:19 pm

Good info mate, I'll try and get some pics later although I do think it is glabifrons.

There's one called Opistophthalmus lawrencei Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://inkandvenom.multiply.com/
corpselight
Babycurus

Number of posts : 251
Registration date : 2008-08-08

PostSubject: Re: Opistophthalmus glabrifrons   Opistophthalmus glabrifrons Empty5/27/2011, 2:49 pm

Callum B wrote:
When I was looking at the spidershop site I think they had got O. glabrifrons and O. wahlbergii mixed up. Are yours darker than my two? If they are I think they are O. wahlbergii even though they were labelled as O. glabrifrons on the site. I did email them saying that it looked like they had got the two labelled the wrong way around but I didn't here anything back.
Care is exactly the same though.

thanks mate, i am trying to ID, mostly for curiosity's sake Smile will be checking later if i have time. they are much darker than yours, nearly black. i did have a look at the granulation...not sure either way from memory though.

TSS, being more spider oriented, does sometimes get scorpions wrong, but nevermind!
just hoping my two probably females are gravid. they sure are fat enough!

anyway your scorp is great looking. i was thinking of getting one of Thomas Vinneman's (if i've spelled his name right), but didn't in the end. i think it was more likely proper glabifrons based on what you're saying.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Opistophthalmus glabrifrons   Opistophthalmus glabrifrons Empty

Back to top Go down

Opistophthalmus glabrifrons
Page 1 of 1