The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

Scorpion Recommendations...

Go down 
+6
takos
**GS**
H. laoticus
Vin Diesel
anemiaffx
Bedlam
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Bedlam
Tityus
Bedlam

Number of posts : 548
Registration date : 2011-04-03

Scorpion Recommendations... Empty
PostSubject: Scorpion Recommendations...   Scorpion Recommendations... Empty4/18/2011, 11:47 pm

I have approximately 27 Emperor Scorpions and I love them all, especially the Juveniles. Some of you may know that I have a 150 gallon long tank that I plan to set up ASAP. I really enjoy Emperors but they are pet holes and I was hoping for something different for the 150.

What I was hoping for;
- Communal
- Active
- Amazing Hunters
- Could use water Source

I want a species that can live with others of the same kind. The tank is 150 gallons long so I plan to really utilize the space. I'm wishing for great hunters and just pure eye candy. It's sad to observe my empty Scorpion Tank because they are always in their hide. If I set up the 150, I don't really want a 'pretty tank' with nothing in it. So something I can have a large colony of and really have something to observe. Even if they aren't running around, I'd just like to see them.

If you can recommend me something that can utilize the 12 bricks of Eco Earth I purchased and an Infrared Bulb that would be great too Wink
Back to top Go down
anemiaffx
Tityus
anemiaffx

Number of posts : 635
Registration date : 2010-01-26

PostSubject: Re: Scorpion Recommendations...   Scorpion Recommendations... Empty4/19/2011, 1:17 am

You should look into bark scorpions then. They are awesome hunters. All types of the Centurioides are wicked
Back to top Go down
Vin Diesel
Centruroides
Vin Diesel

Number of posts : 126
Registration date : 2011-02-19

PostSubject: Re: Scorpion Recommendations...   Scorpion Recommendations... Empty4/19/2011, 1:29 am

just out of curiosity why are you recommending bark scorpion
Back to top Go down
H. laoticus
Parabuthus
H. laoticus

Number of posts : 1401
Registration date : 2009-03-26

PostSubject: Re: Scorpion Recommendations...   Scorpion Recommendations... Empty4/19/2011, 1:56 am

I second bark scorpions. They are active, they breed often and have short gestation periods, they're excellent hunters, they love to climb vertical hides, they like molting while hanging upside down, they readily sting their prey, and to top it off, they're cheap! In fact, you're from Florida, so C. gracilis will be quite easy for you to get your hands on (if that's the one you pick). For a 150 gallon, you can let them go rampant with breeding, too.
Back to top Go down
**GS**
Leiurus
**GS**

Number of posts : 2629
Registration date : 2010-09-06

PostSubject: Re: Scorpion Recommendations...   Scorpion Recommendations... Empty4/19/2011, 3:26 am

With the few experience i have with bark scorpions, they seemed to meet Bedlam's requirement very well:

- Communal
- Active
- Amazing Hunters
- Could use water Source

They are 90% of the time visible and can be easily located by looking around the vertical bark you've provided for them. This is the best part, you'll get to see what's its like for a prey to get ambush from above ground level. Totally awesome Smile

However, apart from forest scorps like Emps/Afs, i don't think keeping bark scorpions can help to utilise your 12 bricks of Eco Earth.
Back to top Go down
takos
Hadogenes

Number of posts : 57
Registration date : 2011-04-17

PostSubject: Re: Scorpion Recommendations...   Scorpion Recommendations... Empty4/19/2011, 4:00 am

gogogo mesobuthus martensii!! excelent little basterd who pew pew!!i think there is a post somewhere with someone who have a cummunity tank full of em Very Happy i have 2 too and they are killers!!they drink water every week when i spray on a corner they are active even in day sometimes and good climbers!

i fund some threads...here you are...
https://scorpionforum.darkbb.com/t5881-just-a-little-new-photos-and-videos-not-much-have-fun#68799
https://scorpionforum.darkbb.com/t5717-short-videos-of-mmartensii
Back to top Go down
DolbyR
Leiurus
DolbyR

Number of posts : 2097
Registration date : 2011-01-03

PostSubject: Re: Scorpion Recommendations...   Scorpion Recommendations... Empty4/19/2011, 7:13 am

+1 for M.Martensii.
For such a big tank though, I would put not only martensii, but also Lychas Mucronatus, aka Chinese Swimming Scorpion, they are very communal aswell, semi-arboreal and are stated to be able to co-habitate with M.Martensii. AFAIK they like it more humid than Martensii though (although martensii likes some amount of humidity as well). So personally, I would setup a "lake" or waterfall kind of thing with high humidity in one end and a desertish kind of area in the other end, and lots of branches for climbing. You make like otherkind of things though, but this would be my dream setup. Both spp. breed very easily too, soo you would eventually fill out the tank Smile
Back to top Go down
http://allscorpionarchives.forumotion.com
*~BEX~*
Administrator
*~BEX~*

Number of posts : 4246
Registration date : 2010-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Scorpion Recommendations...   Scorpion Recommendations... Empty4/19/2011, 8:42 am

DolbyR wrote:
but also Lychas Mucronatus, aka Chinese Swimming Scorpion,

i would love some of these...shame i cant without a licence Sad

i would go for some kind of bark scorpion if i was able to keep them, maybe C.gracilis? they are communal and sit out on the bark all the time Smile
Back to top Go down
Peloquin
Babycurus
Peloquin

Number of posts : 429
Registration date : 2010-06-29

PostSubject: Re: Scorpion Recommendations...   Scorpion Recommendations... Empty4/19/2011, 9:12 am

The license thing is a pain, I would love some of the Hottentotta species, they are lovely looking.
When you look on some sites and see the prices it's sometimes quite tempting but it just isn't worth the risk. Fines, problems if stung, etc...
Back to top Go down
*~BEX~*
Administrator
*~BEX~*

Number of posts : 4246
Registration date : 2010-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Scorpion Recommendations...   Scorpion Recommendations... Empty4/19/2011, 9:31 am

Peloquin wrote:
The license thing is a pain, I would love some of the Hottentotta species, they are lovely looking.
When you look on some sites and see the prices it's sometimes quite tempting but it just isn't worth the risk. Fines, problems if stung, etc...

Yep agreed, is tempting sometimes, god knows what the fines would be, cost enough to get the damn licence lol
suppose we have plenty of non buthids to keep us happy..ish i did some reasearch on here before and calculated that the Buthid family nearly accounts for half the worlds scorpions... With 87 genera (one extinct) and 925 species, with the non Buthide list adding up to around 1068 ish

thats a bit unfair on us in the uk isnt it lol, are any species illegal in other countries?

heres a topic from a few months back where i got in contact with defra over the subject

https://scorpionforum.darkbb.com/t5790-dwa-s

and here is a list i made of the species we ARE allowed to keep outside the DWA list

https://scorpionforum.darkbb.com/t5799-list-of-species-outside-the-buthidae-family?highlight=list+non+dwa
Back to top Go down
Bedlam
Tityus
Bedlam

PostSubject: Re: Scorpion Recommendations...   Scorpion Recommendations... Empty4/19/2011, 5:49 pm

DolbyR wrote:
+1 for M.Martensii.
For such a big tank though, I would put not only martensii, but also Lychas Mucronatus, aka Chinese Swimming Scorpion, they are very communal aswell, semi-arboreal and are stated to be able to co-habitate with M.Martensii. AFAIK they like it more humid than Martensii though (although martensii likes some amount of humidity as well). So personally, I would setup a "lake" or waterfall kind of thing with high humidity in one end and a desertish kind of area in the other end, and lots of branches for climbing. You make like otherkind of things though, but this would be my dream setup. Both spp. breed very easily too, soo you would eventually fill out the tank Smile

Wow everyone way to really jump on it for me =D. DolbyR, your post persuaded me. I think that this is what want but I'm gonna research them both.

How could I get these and is it hard for the 2 species co-exist?
Back to top Go down
Streettrash
Androctonus
Streettrash

Number of posts : 1836
Registration date : 2011-04-14

PostSubject: Re: Scorpion Recommendations...   Scorpion Recommendations... Empty4/19/2011, 6:18 pm

You can get ten M. martensii from kenthebugguy.com for $80 right now. Not sure about the others though. I'm planning on setting up a large communal tank with these as well, just need to do some spring cleaning first.
Back to top Go down
DolbyR
Leiurus
DolbyR

Number of posts : 2097
Registration date : 2011-01-03

PostSubject: Re: Scorpion Recommendations...   Scorpion Recommendations... Empty4/21/2011, 2:45 am

Maybe you coul ask if kenthebugguy will get any of them soon. He've had them available before.

I've never kept L.Mucronatus, only M.Martensii. But in all caresheets fo any of the two species says that the two species can coexist.

These guys are small though, only 2-2.5 inch so in an enclosure like yours they'd have plenty of place even for hiding if they need to.
I can't say how much you would be able to put in there, but I would say..hmm A LOT Smile

I would just take lets say a 10 lot M.Martensii and 5-6 lychas and let them breed away Smile
Back to top Go down
http://allscorpionarchives.forumotion.com
Bedlam
Tityus
Bedlam

PostSubject: Re: Scorpion Recommendations...   Scorpion Recommendations... Empty4/22/2011, 11:58 pm

Hmmm, it sounds really cool to have a colony of these but maybe I should just keep growing with the Emps, I don't know I'm stuck in a rut.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Scorpion Recommendations...   Scorpion Recommendations... Empty

Back to top Go down

Scorpion Recommendations...
Page 1 of 1