The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

Two new additions, again lol

Go down 
+4
Callum B
Jay
*~BEX~*
Roblicious
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Roblicious
Babycurus

Number of posts : 321
Registration date : 2011-02-08

Two new additions, again lol Empty
PostSubject: Two new additions, again lol   Two new additions, again lol Empty4/4/2011, 3:18 am

Damn, I've got the bug, I started in January and I have 6 total scorpions now.

I Just got 2 more last week and today making my collection a total of 6 and maybe another one this coming week.

I found a store called Container Store (speaks for itself) they sell acrylic containers for really cheap like 3 bucks for a good sized one, perfect for housing T's and S's I found out about it from Tarantulaguy197X on youtube. They are great and perfect for these small scorpions I plan on venturing into.

Here are my 2 new additions. I will be housing the Northern Scorpion in the same type of container next time I take a trip to that store. Sorry I dono the scientific names I am more of a common name kinda guy.

Northern Scorpion: He is in dried coco fiber and 2 pieces of obsidian make up his hiding place. He is super fat so I hope for a molt soon, he just ate a baby cricket and got even fatter so yeah anytime now.
Two new additions, again lol IMG156

Arizona Devil Scorpion: He is in crushed walnut shells mixed with some dried coco fiber and peat moss/potting soil (his original substrate), I dont have any sand and I dont feel like hauling a 50 lb bag of sand around from home depot lol.
Two new additions, again lol IMG155
Two new additions, again lol IMG153

Here is a better shot of the container before drilling holes and putting in scorpion and or substrate:
Two new additions, again lol IMG151

I keep them near a heat source, but far enough so they dont get too hot, but I dont think its necessary since my room is like 75 degrees :-/

Any tips on taking care of these guys? I read the care sheet on the arizona devil scorpion, but cant seem to find one for the northern scorpion, its a local one so the temperature requirement cant be high seeing how its always raining and cold out here lol.
Back to top Go down
*~BEX~*
Administrator
*~BEX~*

Number of posts : 4246
Registration date : 2010-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Two new additions, again lol   Two new additions, again lol Empty4/4/2011, 4:14 am

Those containers are awesome! Is it an online store? and your arizona Devil Scorpion, looks gorgeous!

Is doent take long to get the bug, we started last year with one emp and by the next month had about 7 more dif scorps!

Is that V.spinigerus or H.spinigerus, do you know? i really want a V.spinigerus, and actually if any UK people are reading i just recieved and email from BUDZBUGZ saying he now has stripped tailed scorplings for £7.50 each Smile

And i have no idea what a northern scorpion is lol never heard of that before, just did a search and came up with Paruroctonus boreus,? dunno if thats correct though.

Great setups though thanx for sharing Smile

***Edit, although the email from budzbugz says £7.50 each for scorplings on the site it says £12.50 Sad
Back to top Go down
*~BEX~*
Administrator
*~BEX~*

PostSubject: Re: Two new additions, again lol   Two new additions, again lol Empty4/4/2011, 4:23 am

Hi, am about to purchase one of these stripped devils, and been reading about it is it correct that humidity should be at 60% this seems very high for what appears to be a desert species found the info here...

http://s4.zetaboards.com/HerpinVerts/topic/110681/1/

*Edit just found a care sheet on here and it is quite high humidity for these guys..

https://scorpionforum.darkbb.com/t383-vaejovis-sp-general-socal-caresheet
Back to top Go down
Roblicious
Babycurus

PostSubject: Re: Two new additions, again lol   Two new additions, again lol Empty4/4/2011, 11:51 am

Well the deli cup had this label on it that said Arizona Devil Scorpion V.spinigerus, but my buddy says it is actually a H.spinigerus since there is much debate over their taxonomy? That is why I stick with common names :p.

55-60 humidity is little higher then normal for about room temperature if you think about it, I keep mine at room temperature maybe a little warmer and my buddy who has them says that dry substrate and a temperature gradiant is all that is needed. Misting 1 side of the enclosure every so often is what he says.

They dig small scrapes under rocks, nothing too fancy like the Desert Hairy.

And yes Bex you are correct that is the scientific name of the northern scorpion, I think next time Ill try to list both. I actually dono too much about it, I know it can live in any kind of weather, its not too hot or cold in most parts of the region where I live. Mine just looks weird cause hes about to explode soon lol.

O yeah should this be under scorpion pics? I see people posting new acquisitions under both, so I am not sure.

EDIT:

Yes you can buy the containers online not sure if they ship to UK
www.containerstore.com
The site is down at the moment, but its the right one :p

Super cheap over here in the states, 3 bucks for the container I got and I think its perfect for it.
Back to top Go down
*~BEX~*
Administrator
*~BEX~*

PostSubject: Re: Two new additions, again lol   Two new additions, again lol Empty4/4/2011, 12:13 pm

Thanks I will check them out see if the ship other here, and thanx for the info should be getting one soon, you can post pics anywhere really up to you sometimes I put them in both lol In pics are and a separate post depends really if I'm asking questions or not Smile

Need to find some small rocks now Smile
Back to top Go down
Jay
SCORPIONMOD
Jay

Number of posts : 1250
Registration date : 2010-05-05

PostSubject: Re: Two new additions, again lol   Two new additions, again lol Empty4/4/2011, 12:24 pm

Nice new aditions mate! Like what you've done with the containers, looks very smart.

Here's a very extensive write up on H.spinigerus that I found very useful when I first got mine.

http://www.venomlist.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=16556

And there's a more basic one for quick care reference.

http://www.venomlist.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=10037

Back to top Go down
http://inkandvenom.multiply.com/
Roblicious
Babycurus

PostSubject: Re: Two new additions, again lol   Two new additions, again lol Empty4/4/2011, 12:28 pm

I grabbed the rocks from outside and boiled them under some water and scrubbed them.

I wanted to get sand, but everything here is calcium sand, although I do have it in my desert hairy, I keep that super dry so there is no risk of it getting into him, that and its mixed with exc clay.

Crushed walnut shells ftw.

I drilled several holes all over the lid so it gets some good ventilation.

I honestly think dry substrate with a moisture gradiant under room temperature is fine for these guys. I cant really speak too much from experience since I have only had it for a day, but my buddy keeps them at this and they are all fine, most caresheets are based off of personal exp anyways :p

I do dig the containers, they are cheap, efficient and look better then deli cups, and for a arid desert species it does good since there isnt too much I can do to deck out a desert terrarium, a skull here and there and maybe a piece of wood/rock for it to hide is all I can really imagine lol. I keep them near my tropical enclosure so they can share the IR lamp or next to my desert hairies enclosure that has like 3 heatpads lol and it doesnt get too hot, so I imagine 75ish temp inside those things easily.
Back to top Go down
Callum B
Administrator
Callum B

Number of posts : 1096
Registration date : 2008-09-21

PostSubject: Re: Two new additions, again lol   Two new additions, again lol Empty4/5/2011, 5:46 pm

Hi, a couple of questions after i read through this thread lol. For bex what is budzbugz like as a seller? I have never heard of him/them before. Are they in the UK?

Secondly I have read conflicting reports on whether V. spinigerus are communal or not. Does anybody on here have any advice or experience on keeping this species communally?
Back to top Go down
*~BEX~*
Administrator
*~BEX~*

PostSubject: Re: Two new additions, again lol   Two new additions, again lol Empty4/5/2011, 5:57 pm

Hi I will let you know what thy are like after I receives the scorpion ordered today lol but so far it's all good, great communication and prices, not selling much atm bit get members sale prices which is cool, they arr in the uk, we found them on reptile forums the site is

Www.Budzbugz.moonfruit.com
Back to top Go down
Scorpioooo
Centruroides
Scorpioooo

Number of posts : 209
Registration date : 2011-02-04

PostSubject: Re: Two new additions, again lol   Two new additions, again lol Empty4/5/2011, 6:13 pm

i decided to visit this tore this week to buy something for my Avicularia Avicularia T. thanks for showing us this.
Back to top Go down
Roblicious
Babycurus

PostSubject: Re: Two new additions, again lol   Two new additions, again lol Empty4/5/2011, 6:42 pm

Yeah 3.19 for the container, bigest one they have for this type, its called Amac, I am sure there are other sizes, but this fits what I need and I dig it, my fiance just bought me 3 more Very Happy

From what I am told they are NOT communal but that hasnt stopped hobbyist from trying in the past, I believe they are communal until they are not if that makes any sense

They could live and die old age together or they could go on a killing rampage 1 week in, even emperors are prone to this.
Back to top Go down
Chrome
Tityus
Chrome

Number of posts : 505
Registration date : 2009-08-03

PostSubject: Re: Two new additions, again lol   Two new additions, again lol Empty4/5/2011, 7:39 pm

Very nice, thinkin of taking a trip down a bit south of me to hunt for those northern scorpions here in canada.
Back to top Go down
Roblicious
Babycurus

PostSubject: Re: Two new additions, again lol   Two new additions, again lol Empty4/5/2011, 8:26 pm

Yeah they are found all over PNW and canada area, I guess they dig the cold lol

I cant seem to find a care sheet for em, but i cant imagine the requirements being too huge since its rainy or cold for the most part here
Back to top Go down
Scorpioooo
Centruroides
Scorpioooo

PostSubject: Re: Two new additions, again lol   Two new additions, again lol Empty4/5/2011, 9:06 pm

haha i actually went to that store to check out the containers you have but they were to small for my pink toe T but i bought some plastic hexagon container because right now it is in circulara kritter keeper and i need stones on the sides to prevent it from rolling off the shelf. it will look way nicer in this containers since the back or the lid of the kritter keeper is this ugly green color
Back to top Go down
~Abyss~
Administrator
~Abyss~

Number of posts : 6472
Registration date : 2008-02-05

PostSubject: Re: Two new additions, again lol   Two new additions, again lol Empty4/5/2011, 11:23 pm

the V. spinigerus do require a bit more humidity than your average desert species.
Back to top Go down
https://scorpionforum.darkbb.com
Roblicious
Babycurus

PostSubject: Re: Two new additions, again lol   Two new additions, again lol Empty4/5/2011, 11:41 pm

the one I got is 7.5x4x4 its the biggest of its type i think
unless you want shoebox style

and yeah I plan on misting once a week, the side anyways

http://www.containerstore.com/shop?productId=10009493&N=&Ntt=acrylic
Those ones are purple they come in all sorts of colors
Back to top Go down
Scorpioooo
Centruroides
Scorpioooo

PostSubject: Re: Two new additions, again lol   Two new additions, again lol Empty4/6/2011, 12:03 am

yeah i know i saw theese but i dont think they had the largest size. its a cool store. i also looked at little containers for baby scorpions and they had all kinds of containers suitable for that.
Back to top Go down
Roblicious
Babycurus

PostSubject: Re: Two new additions, again lol   Two new additions, again lol Empty4/6/2011, 2:08 am

those are good for bark scorpions cause they are the size of a deli cup imo

they have shoe box size ones you can fit a medium one in
10 bucks

And I found one thats for dolls its 7x5x5 roughly but I am not sure about the lid though

it wasnt at the store I went to, so I might order it online or do a pickup
Back to top Go down
Scorpioooo
Centruroides
Scorpioooo

PostSubject: Re: Two new additions, again lol   Two new additions, again lol Empty4/6/2011, 4:33 pm

i know what you are talking about they have boxes for colectibles but they wont work because you cant open it without taking everything out i cant explain how the box opens.
Back to top Go down
Roblicious
Babycurus

PostSubject: Re: Two new additions, again lol   Two new additions, again lol Empty4/6/2011, 4:56 pm

no actual lid?
Back to top Go down
Scorpioooo
Centruroides
Scorpioooo

PostSubject: Re: Two new additions, again lol   Two new additions, again lol Empty4/6/2011, 10:11 pm

no sorry i was going to buy one of those but when i saw how they open i was disappointed :/
Back to top Go down
Roblicious
Babycurus

PostSubject: Re: Two new additions, again lol   Two new additions, again lol Empty4/6/2011, 11:40 pm

darn they are perfect size too
Back to top Go down
Streettrash
Androctonus
Streettrash

Number of posts : 1836
Registration date : 2011-04-14

PostSubject: Re: Two new additions, again lol   Two new additions, again lol Empty4/19/2011, 11:46 pm

I've got a P. boreas, or Northern scorpion. I keep it on sand at room temperature which for my house is seventy degrees F in the winter, and about 72-75 degrees F in the summer. I feed it once a week 2 or 3 small crickets. Sometimes it doesn't eat, but most of the time it does. In the past year I've seen it out of it's hide about five times, only at night and usually well after I've cleared the room. It's pretty private, though I occasionally lift the shale it hides under to check on it. I give it water in a small beer bottle cap about once a month and lightly mist a corner once every few months. Seems to be doing fine in these conditions.
Back to top Go down
Roblicious
Babycurus

PostSubject: Re: Two new additions, again lol   Two new additions, again lol Empty4/20/2011, 12:43 am

Mine has burrowed under the sand, i was able to see it as it was up by the wall, then it decided to close up that burrow and I have no idea where he is :/
havent seen it in 2 weeks now lol
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Two new additions, again lol   Two new additions, again lol Empty

Back to top Go down

Two new additions, again lol
Page 1 of 1