The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

Need help with ages Please!!! oh and helloo all!!!

Go down 
+7
scorpion111
Kejser
*Connie*
freeman
_Nagash_
Mr. Mordax
Umar
11 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Umar
Pandinus
Umar

Number of posts : 38
Registration date : 2008-04-26

Need help with ages Please!!! oh and helloo all!!! Empty
PostSubject: Need help with ages Please!!! oh and helloo all!!!   Need help with ages Please!!! oh and helloo all!!! Empty4/26/2008, 6:34 pm

first of all hi everyone im new to the forum and just want to say hi and introduce myself Very Happy

im Umar im from England but i live in Morocco and im new to scorpions and i have been searching websites for info and trolling all the forums but i cant seem to find one piece of info which is what is the average lifespan of a scorpion generally? and especially emperor scorpions?
thanks in advance for the info guys and seems you have a nice little community here am hoping i can become a member after i research and purchase my own scorpion Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

peace

Umar
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

Number of posts : 7743
Registration date : 2008-02-06

PostSubject: Re: Need help with ages Please!!! oh and helloo all!!!   Need help with ages Please!!! oh and helloo all!!! Empty4/26/2008, 7:45 pm

Well, you're obviously a member already. Very Happy Welcome!

As for lifespans, there's quite a variety between species. Emperors should have a lifespan of around 8 years or so, taking two or three to reach maturity. So, if you get one with a brown telson from a pet store, you could potentially get up to five years out of it (but probably less).

The longest-lived scorpions are the flatrocks, which I've heard can live up to 25 years. (Slower-growing = longer lifespan.)

I don't know who has the shortest lifespan, but my guess would be some sort of bark scorpion.
Back to top Go down
Umar
Pandinus
Umar

PostSubject: Re: Need help with ages Please!!! oh and helloo all!!!   Need help with ages Please!!! oh and helloo all!!! Empty4/26/2008, 8:07 pm

thanks for the info Very Happy

i have another question please Wink i have searched about but cant find the info im looking for and wondered if you knew about scorpions indigenous to Morocco? when i have visited the country side i hear alot of "stories" about scorpions and even about fatalities from stings affraid i am just wondering about how much truth there is in this and if collecting wild scorpions to keep would be out of the question. any caresheets or info on Moroccan or Saharan species would be great cheers

Thanks again for all you help Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

PostSubject: Re: Need help with ages Please!!! oh and helloo all!!!   Need help with ages Please!!! oh and helloo all!!! Empty4/26/2008, 8:52 pm

The only species I know of from Morocco is Androctonus mauritanicus, which is considered deadly. Collecting scorpions should be fine as long as you use caution when collecting -- basically, don't try to grab any scorpions you see with your bare hands (maybe try using a stick to herd it into a container) and don't stick your arm down any burrows.

Species from that part of the world would best be kept in a hot, dry environment with sand as a substrate and a piece of rock or bark to dig a little hide under.
Back to top Go down
_Nagash_
Centruroides
_Nagash_

Number of posts : 233
Registration date : 2008-04-17

PostSubject: Re: Need help with ages Please!!! oh and helloo all!!!   Need help with ages Please!!! oh and helloo all!!! Empty4/26/2008, 10:23 pm

Welcome Smile

The species reported from Morocco accessible to me is:
A. amoreuxi
A. bicolor
A. crassicauda
A. gonneti(Not in hobby)
A. hoggarensis(Not in hobby)
A. liouvillei(Not in hobby)
A. mauritanicus
A. sergenti

I have no garanty this information is 100% correct.
I have also seen information that they think about 40 000 people is stung by scorpions in Morocco each year, and the number of deaths related to them are between 100 and 200. It`s also reported that A.mauritanicus probably stands behind 60% of the scorpion related deaths.

If you are new to scorpions, you should keep away from Androctonus sp.

regards
Robin
Back to top Go down
freeman
Centruroides
freeman

Number of posts : 128
Registration date : 2008-03-19

PostSubject: Re: Need help with ages Please!!! oh and helloo all!!!   Need help with ages Please!!! oh and helloo all!!! Empty4/26/2008, 10:48 pm

IHeartMantids wrote:
Well, you're obviously a member already. Very Happy Welcome!

As for lifespans, there's quite a variety between species. Emperors should have a lifespan of around 8 years or so, taking two or three to reach maturity. So, if you get one with a brown telson from a pet store, you could potentially get up to five years out of it (but probably less).

The longest-lived scorpions are the flatrocks, which I've heard can live up to 25 years. (Slower-growing = longer lifespan.)

I don't know who has the shortest lifespan, but my guess would be some sort of bark scorpion.

i think emperors may live more than 10 years. i'd say 10 to 15 maybe. i waited over 2 years for a molt (!) and it was small 3i P.imp. then i got tired of waiting and i sold the little guy.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

PostSubject: Re: Need help with ages Please!!! oh and helloo all!!!   Need help with ages Please!!! oh and helloo all!!! Empty4/26/2008, 11:48 pm

_Nagash_ wrote:
about 40 000 people is stung by scorpions in Morocco each year, and the number of deaths related to them are between 100 and 200.

It's reassuring to know that the mortality rate is less than 0.5%, but it was a little unsettling to know that my newest scorpion is responsible for more than half of that.

Great information, Nagash!
Back to top Go down
*Connie*
Post-whore
*Connie*

Number of posts : 3705

PostSubject: Re: Need help with ages Please!!! oh and helloo all!!!   Need help with ages Please!!! oh and helloo all!!! Empty4/27/2008, 3:57 am

well my Pandinus male didnt last more then 4 months! But then again I think the female "offed" him.
Will be interesting to see how long I get with my female and also to see how long the offspring live

xxxxx
Back to top Go down
http://healingfromwithin.heavenforum.com/index.htm
Kejser
Administrator
Kejser

Number of posts : 1373

PostSubject: Re: Need help with ages Please!!! oh and helloo all!!!   Need help with ages Please!!! oh and helloo all!!! Empty4/27/2008, 3:58 am

These are scorpion of Morocco, +/- a few.. Very Happy

Quote :
BU Androctonus amoreuxi

BU Androctonus gonneti

BU Androctonus liouvillei

BU Androctonus mauritanicus

BU Androctonus sergenti

BU Buthacus arenicola maroccanus

BU Buthacus leptochelys leptochelys

BU Buthacus mahraouii ?

BU Buthacus occidentalis

BU Buthacus ziegleri

BU Butheoloides aymerichi

BU Butheoloides maroccanus

BU Butheoloides occidentalis

BU Buthus albengai

BU Buthus atlantis atlantis

BU Buthus atlantis parroti

BU Buthus bonito

BU Buthus draa

BU Buthus lienhardi

BU Buthus malhommei

BU Buthus mardochei

BU Buthus mariefrancae

BU Buthus maroccanus

BU Buthus occitanus nigrovesiculosus

BU Buthus occitanus occitanus

BU Buthus paris

BU Buthus rochati

BU Buthus tunetanus

BU Compsobuthus williamsi

BU Hottentotta franzwerneri gentili

BU Microbuthus fagei

BU Orthochirus innesi

EU Euscorpius italicus

SCN Scorpio maurus behringsi

SCN Scorpio maurus birulai

SCN Scorpio maurus fuliginosus

SCN Scorpio maurus fuscus ?

SCN Scorpio maurus hesperus

SCN Scorpio maurus legionis

SCN Scorpio maurus maurus

SCN Scorpio maurus mogadorensis

SCN Scorpio maurus punicus

SCN Scorpio maurus stemmleri

SCN Scorpio maurus weidholzi
Back to top Go down
Umar
Pandinus
Umar

PostSubject: Re: Need help with ages Please!!! oh and helloo all!!!   Need help with ages Please!!! oh and helloo all!!! Empty4/27/2008, 4:40 am

Wow thanks for the warm welcome guys and thanks for all the info Very Happy

just wondering did you guys just know this stuff or you have an online resource you can direct me to? would be great to have photos with species for identification purposes and maybe a bit of info on each species. i cant seem to find much info online about scorpions but maybe im just rubbish in PCs Embarassed
you guys have really inspired me to get a scorpion next Very Happy i was thinking of getting some crested geckos and breeding them as my next project but im defiantly going for a scorpion now cheers have been reading some of the posts here and it looks like a rewarding hobbie.

Thanks again for all the info

Umar
Back to top Go down
*Connie*
Post-whore
*Connie*

Number of posts : 3705

PostSubject: Re: Need help with ages Please!!! oh and helloo all!!!   Need help with ages Please!!! oh and helloo all!!! Empty4/27/2008, 5:15 am

Its all learnt from reading, be it online or in books.
Its also from experience from keeping a scorpion or many Very Happy

The more information you can find on a scorpion helps if you type the name instead of just "scorpions" hehehe

As with all scorpion beginners, such as myself nearly a year ago. A Pandinus Imperator is a good place to start. Doscile and tropical and if immature not too many problems with moulting

xxxxx
Back to top Go down
http://healingfromwithin.heavenforum.com/index.htm
Umar
Pandinus
Umar

PostSubject: Re: Need help with ages Please!!! oh and helloo all!!!   Need help with ages Please!!! oh and helloo all!!! Empty4/27/2008, 5:42 am

scorpions hehehe Embarassed well im specifically looking for species indigenous to morocco as i live here and i think importing is probably out of the question i would think? so i will probably will have to catch a wild one to begin and see how it goes from there Very Happy
Back to top Go down
scorpion111
Post-whore
scorpion111

Number of posts : 3455
Registration date : 2008-04-07

PostSubject: Re: Need help with ages Please!!! oh and helloo all!!!   Need help with ages Please!!! oh and helloo all!!! Empty4/27/2008, 8:29 am

welcome to the forum Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Skywalker
Hadogenes
Skywalker

Number of posts : 70
Registration date : 2008-04-15

PostSubject: Re: Need help with ages Please!!! oh and helloo all!!!   Need help with ages Please!!! oh and helloo all!!! Empty4/27/2008, 9:38 am

Hi Umar,

you should download the book "Etudes sur les Scorpions" by Max Vachon. It is available for free online: Etudes sur les Scorpions
It is a bit outdated but you can find infos about the distribution range of almost all species in Morocco. Only the newly described species are not mentioned. If you are looking for more detailed info on a particular species I may be able to help you too.

Regards,
Peter
Back to top Go down
Umar
Pandinus
Umar

PostSubject: Re: Need help with ages Please!!! oh and helloo all!!!   Need help with ages Please!!! oh and helloo all!!! Empty4/27/2008, 12:22 pm

thanks for the info but its in French Sad i only know English or Arabic. at the moment i just need some kind of basic guideline/caresheet with picture so i can get to know the locals Wink want to know what im looking at when i find it hehehe.
am finding bits and bats here and there any extra info you have on all North African species preferable with a matching picture for identification in the field would be soooo great.

anyways thanks for all the great info so far guys you are all brilliant Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

my wife will be so grateful that im not one from those 200 a year fatalities thanks to you guys hehehe Very Happy

Umar
Back to top Go down
Skywalker
Hadogenes
Skywalker

PostSubject: Re: Need help with ages Please!!! oh and helloo all!!!   Need help with ages Please!!! oh and helloo all!!! Empty4/27/2008, 1:52 pm

Hi Umar,

where in Morocco are you located? If you tell me in which area or town you live I can look through some papers for infos about scorpions that can be found there. For pictures just use Google and search for the species on the list Kejser provided. Although you won't find pics of every species on the list. But most of these new described species have a very small distribution range and you won't find them around your area.

-Peter
Back to top Go down
Umar
Pandinus
Umar

PostSubject: Re: Need help with ages Please!!! oh and helloo all!!!   Need help with ages Please!!! oh and helloo all!!! Empty4/27/2008, 2:01 pm

I live in Fes. but i travel a bit to Rabat and imouza and sefrou and have family in the Atlas mountains in very remote area not sure exactly where (my brother in law just calls it toro boro remote with alot of caves hehe ) but i am planning to go on sunday to have a look round ........ but dont think i will collect anything just yet hehehe Smile not until i have researched ALOT! im googling as we speak hehehe i didnt think about google image hehe Embarassed

Thanks again for the help Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Back to top Go down
_Nagash_
Centruroides
_Nagash_

PostSubject: Re: Need help with ages Please!!! oh and helloo all!!!   Need help with ages Please!!! oh and helloo all!!! Empty4/27/2008, 2:08 pm

Check out:
http://www.ub.ntnu.no/scorpion-files/ Jan Ove Reins site.
http://pagesperso-orange.fr/eycb/scorpions/index.htm
http://bultel.p.free.fr/En/Acceuil.htm

You can probably wait a little bit with this one
http://www.science.marshall.edu/fet/euscorpius/pubs.htm

Regards
Robin
Back to top Go down
Umar
Pandinus
Umar

PostSubject: Re: Need help with ages Please!!! oh and helloo all!!!   Need help with ages Please!!! oh and helloo all!!! Empty4/27/2008, 2:37 pm

Wow great sites robin Very Happy thanks thats really really helpful your a star Very Happy

Umar
Back to top Go down
Skywalker
Hadogenes
Skywalker

PostSubject: Re: Need help with ages Please!!! oh and helloo all!!!   Need help with ages Please!!! oh and helloo all!!! Empty4/27/2008, 3:20 pm

Hi Umar,

here's what I found in Vachon's book.

Butheoloides maroccanus
Marrakech, Amizmiz, Tizi n’Test

Androctonus liouvillei
Bou Denib, Akka

Androctonus mauritanicus
Rabat, Mogador, Casablanca, Agadir

Androctonus sergenti
Anti-Atlas, Tanalt, Quarzazate

Hottentotta franzwerneri
Agadir, Tata

Buthus atlantis
Mogador

Buthus maroccanus
Rabat

Buthacus leptochelys
Tiznit

Buthus occitanus
All over Morocco, except south east

Buthus tunetanus
Toubkal, Timhadit

Buthus mardochei
Agadir, Mogador, Tiznit

Different Scorpio maurus subspecies all over Morocco. There’s almost no info available, the genus needs a revision.

If you find any scorpions please take pics and post them here! We might be able to ID them for you if the pics are good enough.

-Peter
Back to top Go down
Umar
Pandinus
Umar

PostSubject: Re: Need help with ages Please!!! oh and helloo all!!!   Need help with ages Please!!! oh and helloo all!!! Empty4/27/2008, 4:14 pm

Thanks again loads of great info more than i could hope for Very Happy

some really useful stuff will head out Sunday i think just in the countryside around Fes for now i have some family who say they will show me some scorpions if all goes well. if i can get a decent camera i will take some photos and post em if not i will try with my phone camera but i think that will be very bad quality Embarassed
i have looked in the collecting wild scorpions section but as these are some potetially deadly scorpions any advise on locating? observing? photoing? what areas are best to search? and i read something saying use a shovel? but i dont want to hurt any scorpions all advise welcome study

Umar
Back to top Go down
_Nagash_
Centruroides
_Nagash_

PostSubject: Re: Need help with ages Please!!! oh and helloo all!!!   Need help with ages Please!!! oh and helloo all!!! Empty4/27/2008, 5:33 pm

I think you should consider all scorpions you see dangerous, since there are some nasty ones there. It`s better to go looking for them slowly,than to get stung. If the Androctonus sp. you see are adult, they will have a really thick tail.They are after all nicknamed "fattailed scorpions" Smile

Use forceps 25cm/10" + with some paper taped to the "grip part" to lift them up. The paper will make the tips softer, so you don`t hurt them.
If they are in an open landscape, you can use the "cup over" method, and slide the lid underneath them. Keep in mind that some scopions can react very fast, and that they might twist their tails in almost any directions.

Good luck, and take care!

Regards
Robin
Back to top Go down
Skywalker
Hadogenes
Skywalker

PostSubject: Re: Need help with ages Please!!! oh and helloo all!!!   Need help with ages Please!!! oh and helloo all!!! Empty4/27/2008, 7:14 pm

Hi,

like Robin said be very careful! You should look at shadowy and cooler places like under trees or bushes. The most dangerous scorpion species around will be A.mauritanicus. Androctonus spp. normally don't dig but prefer to hide under stones, leaves, logs, pieces of bark or in urban areas under waste. Therefore you don't need a shovel to dig them up. But perhaps it would be helpful to use it for turning over stones without getting stung.

-Peter
Back to top Go down
Lokal
Breeder

Number of posts : 37
Registration date : 2008-03-24

PostSubject: Re: Need help with ages Please!!! oh and helloo all!!!   Need help with ages Please!!! oh and helloo all!!! Empty4/27/2008, 8:55 pm

salaamu alaykum.

You my friend are in a great spot. For scorpions, as well as life. haha.
Back to top Go down
~Abyss~
Administrator
~Abyss~

Number of posts : 6472
Registration date : 2008-02-05

PostSubject: Re: Need help with ages Please!!! oh and helloo all!!!   Need help with ages Please!!! oh and helloo all!!! Empty4/28/2008, 3:30 am

Welcome to the boards. I would stay away from most of your local species untill you get a bit more...prepared. But you live in scorp heaven my friend I bet a lot of people here (including but not limited to ME) would love to buy some from you.
-Eddy
Back to top Go down
https://scorpionforum.darkbb.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Need help with ages Please!!! oh and helloo all!!!   Need help with ages Please!!! oh and helloo all!!! Empty

Back to top Go down

Need help with ages Please!!! oh and helloo all!!!
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum! :: The Scorpion's Lair :: Scorpions In General-
Jump to: