The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

I turn my back for a day!

Go down 
+3
_scorpio_
Mr. Mordax
*Connie*
7 posters
AuthorMessage
*Connie*
Post-whore
*Connie*

Number of posts : 3705
Registration date : 2008-02-06

I turn my back for a day! Empty
PostSubject: I turn my back for a day!   I turn my back for a day! Empty4/25/2008, 9:40 am

So ive just got back from staying over my parents and work. Been dropped home so ran up to check on the babies. Just broke a fight between a 3I getting agresso with a 2I (one without a telson)
I happen to lift the cork bark and to my HORROR more babies. baby crickets! teeny tiny but I can see they are!!!
Hmmm never leave female crickets in for longer then a night!

Also lots of little walking mites *but I knew that anyways, probably been another death*

So looks like im going to be changing their substrate and having a count tonight (if I get a hold of him to pick me up some plantation soil on his way home) or tomorrow!

Now...these cricket babies....arent a real risk are they....they are small but LOTS!

Im always so careful with putting in females and prefer to feed male crickets....sadly I slipped up and one female or more has laid!
Didnt even see any eggs...yet they dig them down so I guess I wouldnt see or know!

eeeeek

xxxxxxxxxxx
Back to top Go down
http://healingfromwithin.heavenforum.com/index.htm
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

Number of posts : 7743

PostSubject: Re: I turn my back for a day!   I turn my back for a day! Empty4/25/2008, 10:28 am

Cricket babies are harmful in the same way that a thousand chihuahua puppies are harmful -- not dangerous per se, but bloody annoying. Razz

Try the drinking straw tip (if you don't have straws, anything with real tight spaces that the scorps can't get into should work) or letting it dry out a bit while keeping a full water dish.
Back to top Go down
*Connie*
Post-whore
*Connie*

PostSubject: Re: I turn my back for a day!   I turn my back for a day! Empty4/25/2008, 10:52 am

cleaning out substrate tomorrow. crickets will be in a black bin liner in the bin. Good luck to em!
xxxxx
Back to top Go down
_scorpio_
Androctonus
_scorpio_

Number of posts : 1827
Registration date : 2008-04-11

PostSubject: Re: I turn my back for a day!   I turn my back for a day! Empty4/25/2008, 2:02 pm

hmmm...harsh
were do these mites come from because they cant be native to england and we still get them...and mine isnt a WC.
Back to top Go down
scorpion111
Post-whore
scorpion111

Number of posts : 3455
Registration date : 2008-04-07

PostSubject: Re: I turn my back for a day!   I turn my back for a day! Empty4/25/2008, 3:37 pm

that happened to me to, i found cricket eggs under a peice of bark. they were dead though.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

PostSubject: Re: I turn my back for a day!   I turn my back for a day! Empty4/25/2008, 3:48 pm

Detrivore soil mites are spread worldwide.
Back to top Go down
Kejser
Administrator
Kejser

Number of posts : 1373

PostSubject: Re: I turn my back for a day!   I turn my back for a day! Empty4/25/2008, 4:30 pm

Why get rid of them??? Free food for your scorps? baby crickets should be large enouch for them to catch and feed on Very Happy and if you deside to throw a female cricket down there again, cut off her egg laying tract..
Back to top Go down
*Connie*
Post-whore
*Connie*

PostSubject: Re: I turn my back for a day!   I turn my back for a day! Empty4/25/2008, 8:00 pm

I understand its free food but they arent controlled. They are all roaming about the tank. If I had done this properly they wouldall be in their own tank to grow and mature and then to become food.
But how they are running about, has just given themselves a one way ticket to themselves and the substrate being put in the bin.

Need to boil the cork bark because they are all in there too in small pin hole gaps.
*rolls eyes*
xxxxxx
Back to top Go down
Kejser
Administrator
Kejser

Number of posts : 1373

PostSubject: Re: I turn my back for a day!   I turn my back for a day! Empty4/26/2008, 1:32 am

Connie they wont grow into adults, they will die before that.. my geuss is they wont even molt into 2 instar cricket.. they will die before that Very Happy
Back to top Go down
*Connie*
Post-whore
*Connie*

PostSubject: Re: I turn my back for a day!   I turn my back for a day! Empty4/26/2008, 2:41 am

I can see what you are saying and understand that. But I need to do a scorpling count anyway and also want to seperate the one remaining without a telson since someone was starting on him/her yesterday.

Now. I will put little one into a left over take away container and make holes. Only im in england and a heat mat would surely fry the little one in such a small area? Will the little one be ok without heat but just normal heat from everyday and heating in the evening?

xxxxxx
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

PostSubject: Re: I turn my back for a day!   I turn my back for a day! Empty4/26/2008, 8:20 am

It should be ok if you just leave it somewhere with nice ambient warmth.

As for the crickets, I think that 1I are way too small even for baby emps to consider them prey.
Back to top Go down
*Connie*
Post-whore
*Connie*

PostSubject: Re: I turn my back for a day!   I turn my back for a day! Empty4/26/2008, 10:45 am

all done.

and some news...

19 SCORPLINGS!

I thought we only had 18 and two being telsonless!
Well they have both survived, all survived plus one we didnt think we had! must have been a stowaway in the cork bark!

Teeny and Tiny are in their own tank. Like a critter keeper tank with their own heat mat and a make shift hide.

xxxxxxxxx
Back to top Go down
leonard
Pandinus
leonard

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2008-03-23

PostSubject: Re: I turn my back for a day!   I turn my back for a day! Empty4/29/2008, 8:18 pm

Ok, something I didn't know.... I'll watch for the crickets now!!! Thanks!
Back to top Go down
~Abyss~
Administrator
~Abyss~

Number of posts : 6472
Registration date : 2008-02-05

PostSubject: Re: I turn my back for a day!   I turn my back for a day! Empty4/29/2008, 8:42 pm

Thats why roaches are safer...I've also been using silkworms.
Back to top Go down
https://scorpionforum.darkbb.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I turn my back for a day!   I turn my back for a day! Empty

Back to top Go down

I turn my back for a day!
Page 1 of 1