The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

proud new emp owner. have some questions

Go down 
+2
anemiaffx
stangman1991
6 posters
AuthorMessage
stangman1991
Pandinus
stangman1991

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2011-03-02

proud new emp owner. have some questions Empty
PostSubject: proud new emp owner. have some questions   proud new emp owner. have some questions Empty3/2/2011, 1:20 am

hey everyone new here im travis. i just got my first scorpion the other day its a female emp. i love my new hobby and i hopefully have everything right. i have her in a 10 gallon terrarium with about 4-6 inches of eco earth substrate with moss on top, a hollowed log thing for her hide, i use a heat mat on the side of the tank. during the day i have a light that came with my tank kit on for her and at night i use a black light bulb i bought at pet store. she comes out regularly everynight. i was wandering if my setup sounded alright and will she eventually get to where she comes out more thanks
Back to top Go down
anemiaffx
Tityus
anemiaffx

Number of posts : 635
Registration date : 2010-01-26

PostSubject: Re: proud new emp owner. have some questions   proud new emp owner. have some questions Empty3/2/2011, 2:59 am

Sounds pretty good. As long as she is not glowing when that black light bulb is one, your perfect.
Back to top Go down
*~BEX~*
Administrator
*~BEX~*

Number of posts : 4246
Registration date : 2010-08-29

PostSubject: Re: proud new emp owner. have some questions   proud new emp owner. have some questions Empty3/2/2011, 4:13 am

Hi welcome to the forum, sounds like you have everything spot on except the lighting, uv is harmful to scorpions so the only light they should have is an infrared buld Smile
Back to top Go down
Roblicious
Babycurus

Number of posts : 321
Registration date : 2011-02-08

PostSubject: Re: proud new emp owner. have some questions   proud new emp owner. have some questions Empty3/2/2011, 5:49 am

or use the night-glo bulb from exo terra that doesnt have any UV
Back to top Go down
*~BEX~*
Administrator
*~BEX~*

PostSubject: Re: proud new emp owner. have some questions   proud new emp owner. have some questions Empty3/2/2011, 7:49 am

The night glow still emits some uv I believe from previous topics on the forum
Back to top Go down
Roblicious
Babycurus

PostSubject: Re: proud new emp owner. have some questions   proud new emp owner. have some questions Empty3/2/2011, 11:57 am

that is where I got my information as well from previous topics, one of the posters said he even called exo terra and they assued there wasnt any UV

and many of the posters said that they used the night-glo 12-24 hours without problems to their emp
Back to top Go down
*~BEX~*
Administrator
*~BEX~*

PostSubject: Re: proud new emp owner. have some questions   proud new emp owner. have some questions Empty3/2/2011, 2:41 pm

Well as long as your sure it's not emitting uv Then it's fine ( if scorpion glows under it, it's a deffinate no no) also you wouldn't see any immediate effects on your scorp from the uv but it would probably shorten there life dramatically, I would still stick to the infrared it looks cool and you know it's deffinately safe Smile
Back to top Go down
Roblicious
Babycurus

PostSubject: Re: proud new emp owner. have some questions   proud new emp owner. have some questions Empty3/2/2011, 2:47 pm

I cant tell if mine is glowing or not, i might just get a heat pad for it at night, seeing how it is hard to sleep with the IR lighting up the whole room :p

I also heard that with the night-glo it might make the scorpion glow not because of the UV but because of the bulb coloration?

EDIt here is the link to the discussion thread I was referencing
https://scorpionforum.darkbb.com/t5624-exo-terra-nightglo-moonlight-uv-or-no-uv?highlight=nightglo
Back to top Go down
stangman1991
Pandinus
stangman1991

PostSubject: Re: proud new emp owner. have some questions   proud new emp owner. have some questions Empty3/2/2011, 3:56 pm

thanks guys and i will get a red light soon as i can. the main reason i leave the light on at night is for some more heat cause it gets to about 70 degrees without it. and it is one of them exo terra night glow bulbs. she dont really glow bright just a very dull blue.
Back to top Go down
Roblicious
Babycurus

PostSubject: Re: proud new emp owner. have some questions   proud new emp owner. have some questions Empty3/2/2011, 4:04 pm

yeah its more of a purplish color I think, I got both a IR and night-glo that I change between in the day/night times

I've read several threads and even posted about the night-glo and they all come up positive to me, if anything just use it at night and the IR in the day time, the IR light is super cheap like 6 bucks for a 50w
Back to top Go down
iitomodachi1
Tityus

Number of posts : 881
Registration date : 2010-08-01

PostSubject: Re: proud new emp owner. have some questions   proud new emp owner. have some questions Empty3/2/2011, 6:31 pm

Welcome to SF Travis.
Per the questions - I got +1 on the lighting and everything else sounds good.
Back to top Go down
stangman1991
Pandinus
stangman1991

PostSubject: Re: proud new emp owner. have some questions   proud new emp owner. have some questions Empty3/2/2011, 7:40 pm

thanks. and i just went out and got a red light from my local pet store i like it a lot better
Back to top Go down
*~BEX~*
Administrator
*~BEX~*

PostSubject: Re: proud new emp owner. have some questions   proud new emp owner. have some questions Empty3/3/2011, 3:53 am

I agree red is much better!! Smile got any pics of your setup?? Smile
Back to top Go down
stangman1991
Pandinus
stangman1991

PostSubject: Re: proud new emp owner. have some questions   proud new emp owner. have some questions Empty3/3/2011, 12:50 pm

proud new emp owner. have some questions 00111

Back to top Go down
Chrome
Tityus
Chrome

Number of posts : 505
Registration date : 2009-08-03

PostSubject: Re: proud new emp owner. have some questions   proud new emp owner. have some questions Empty3/3/2011, 2:42 pm

now what is that
Back to top Go down
stangman1991
Pandinus
stangman1991

PostSubject: Re: proud new emp owner. have some questions   proud new emp owner. have some questions Empty3/3/2011, 3:08 pm

sorry i tried to post pics of my set up and screwed up horribly Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
iitomodachi1
Tityus

PostSubject: Re: proud new emp owner. have some questions   proud new emp owner. have some questions Empty3/3/2011, 3:16 pm

For quick posts on forums and what not, I use photobucket.com. There are others, but this has worked easily for me for a long time. Just set up an account and upload images for free, when you get them uploaded you can copy the image code stuff and then just paste it in a reply or thread on most forums and you image will work great! I'm sure the image tag on here works but it was goofy to me so I just went the photobucket route. G'luck
Back to top Go down
*~BEX~*
Administrator
*~BEX~*

PostSubject: Re: proud new emp owner. have some questions   proud new emp owner. have some questions Empty3/3/2011, 3:35 pm

Chrome wrote:
now what is that

+1 that well messed up on my pc
Back to top Go down
iitomodachi1
Tityus

PostSubject: Re: proud new emp owner. have some questions   proud new emp owner. have some questions Empty3/3/2011, 3:39 pm

I would have said the same thing but most images are blocked at work so I was going to take a 2nd look when I got home. And Bro, most peoples computers can handle more than 8bits Very Happy (sorry couldn't refuse that last one Very Happy)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: proud new emp owner. have some questions   proud new emp owner. have some questions Empty

Back to top Go down

proud new emp owner. have some questions
Page 1 of 1