The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

Dropped my scorpion... in beer

Go down 
+2
H. laoticus
Moody636
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Moody636
Pandinus
Moody636

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2010-06-28

Dropped my scorpion... in beer Empty
PostSubject: Dropped my scorpion... in beer   Dropped my scorpion... in beer Empty6/28/2010, 9:34 pm

So I now understand that it's a terrible idea to handle my scorpion. Apparently I lack the skillset and common sense in order to do so. At any rate, I had "Fluffy" up on a paper towel, trying to guide him into my hand when he ran backward and dove right into a glass of Guinness. He was in there for a good 5-10 seconds before I got him to the sink and poured him into a strainer. Immediately afterward I sprayed him down with water and tried to wash the beer away, but I'm still worried that he's going to croak. Right now he's back in the tank hanging out and not moving around a whole lot.

My question is if there is anything further I can do to help him out, or if he's a goner. I understand that this is a crappy first post, but I appreciate any and all help/advice.

Sad

Edit: It looks to me like it's going to be alright. He (or she) has burrowed and at this point is probably nursing a rally nasty hangover.
Back to top Go down
H. laoticus
Parabuthus
H. laoticus

Number of posts : 1401
Registration date : 2009-03-26

PostSubject: Re: Dropped my scorpion... in beer   Dropped my scorpion... in beer Empty6/29/2010, 1:33 am

Don't worry, it's a good post and we're glad you posted it!

I am pretty sure he'll do fine. Scorpions can stay submerged for quite a long time.
-Good to hear your scorp is doing fine!

Btw, if you post a clear picture of the underside of your scorpion we can sex it for you. Try to focus on the area with the feathery like objects.

hangover Laughing
Back to top Go down
anemiaffx
Tityus
anemiaffx

Number of posts : 635
Registration date : 2010-01-26

PostSubject: Re: Dropped my scorpion... in beer   Dropped my scorpion... in beer Empty6/29/2010, 1:41 am

Ehh i probably would be all that worried becuause if you give the scorpion the chance to submerse themselves in there own tank, they very well may do it...So a mere 10 seconds probably isnt too horrible even thou in person seems so much longer.
Back to top Go down
binksyboy3
Androctonus
binksyboy3

Number of posts : 1690
Registration date : 2009-03-05

PostSubject: Re: Dropped my scorpion... in beer   Dropped my scorpion... in beer Empty6/29/2010, 6:09 am

Keep an eye on him/her. It'll probably be alright because you rinsed it but scorps don't like going swimming in alcohol. Laughing

If it was water that it ran into, then I wouldn't have a care in the world because as the others said, they will often do that anyway in their enclosure.
Back to top Go down
Moody636
Pandinus
Moody636

PostSubject: Re: Dropped my scorpion... in beer   Dropped my scorpion... in beer Empty6/29/2010, 9:45 pm

Fluffy lives!

I got up this morning and he/she was taking a bath in its bowl. I guess it was trying to wash away that hangover Wink.

I don't want to clutter up the forum, so I figure I'll post some pics here. I hope that is alright...
Click for larger images.

I know the underside pictures suck, but my girlfriend refuses to help me out. I wonder why...
Dropped my scorpion... in beer 15ilwi

Dropped my scorpion... in beer 28i9bev
Also, is it essential to use soil/coco fiber? Right now I am using an all natural sheet moss cover and I really like the look of it. I have sloped up the back and placed pieces of wood for hides, and I have noticed some burrows around the sides of the glass under the moss.

Back to top Go down
binksyboy3
Androctonus
binksyboy3

Number of posts : 1690
Registration date : 2009-03-05

PostSubject: Re: Dropped my scorpion... in beer   Dropped my scorpion... in beer Empty6/30/2010, 2:12 am

Well, they need to be able to burrow so as long as it allows them to do that it is fine.

Coco fibre is really good at holding solid burrows and holds humidity well too. I don't think they'd be able to burrow in the moss very well, so I'd suggest adding some coco fibre as the main substrate and you could perhaps put some moss on top.

Back to top Go down
H. laoticus
Parabuthus
H. laoticus

Number of posts : 1401
Registration date : 2009-03-26

PostSubject: Re: Dropped my scorpion... in beer   Dropped my scorpion... in beer Empty6/30/2010, 3:26 am

From the pictures it looks like your scorpion is not an adult yet. The stinger looks like it's a creamy color. Your scorpion looks bulging and setting itself up for a molt eventually, though.
Unfortunately I can't identify its sex with the given pictures, but here is a great comparison picture so you can try to do it yourself: https://2img.net/r/ihimizer/i/sexingemperorscorpions.jpg/
Notice how the male's feathery parts or pectines are larger and extend farther out. That is one way of sexing emps, good luck!
Back to top Go down
josh94
Pandinus

Number of posts : 44
Registration date : 2010-05-31

PostSubject: Re: Dropped my scorpion... in beer   Dropped my scorpion... in beer Empty6/30/2010, 4:08 am

Nice set up I like the water bowl with the bark and stones looks really cool , but I would change to coco fibre soo but deffinatley keep some moss covering 50% or something just too look good
Back to top Go down
Moody636
Pandinus
Moody636

PostSubject: Re: Dropped my scorpion... in beer   Dropped my scorpion... in beer Empty7/4/2010, 12:57 pm

Thanks for all the help. I couldn't source any coco fiber anywhere, so I wound up using peat moss. I kept a small amount of moss on top and left the "wall" in the back to cover my heat pad, so I still think it looks alright.
Back to top Go down
_scorpio_
Androctonus
_scorpio_

Number of posts : 1827
Registration date : 2008-04-11

PostSubject: Re: Dropped my scorpion... in beer   Dropped my scorpion... in beer Empty7/4/2010, 2:00 pm

i reckon thats a male... the operculum is much more oval than heart shaped
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dropped my scorpion... in beer   Dropped my scorpion... in beer Empty

Back to top Go down

Dropped my scorpion... in beer
Page 1 of 1