The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

can somebody here ID this its clearly not what it was sold as

Go down 
+2
binksyboy3
daniel
6 posters
AuthorMessage
daniel
Pandinus

Number of posts : 48
Registration date : 2010-03-31

can somebody here ID this its clearly not what it was sold as Empty
PostSubject: can somebody here ID this its clearly not what it was sold as   can somebody here ID this its clearly not what it was sold as Empty5/27/2010, 3:46 am

[b]can ANYBODY help id this scorp, it was sold to me as a banded flat rock juvenile, but as you can see it quite clearly is not, nor is it any resembelance of any hardogenes sp. i have a feeling it may be an opistophthalmus boemi? but im not sure. it is a little over 4 cm perhaps wich would indicate that it is or very nearly fully grown?
can somebody here ID this its clearly not what it was sold as Photo0504
can somebody here ID this its clearly not what it was sold as Photo0498
Back to top Go down
daniel
Pandinus

PostSubject: Re: can somebody here ID this its clearly not what it was sold as   can somebody here ID this its clearly not what it was sold as Empty5/27/2010, 7:04 am

can somebody here ID this its clearly not what it was sold as Photo0513

can somebody here ID this its clearly not what it was sold as Photo0509

can somebody here ID this its clearly not what it was sold as Photo0515

can somebody here ID this its clearly not what it was sold as Photo0514

these might be better - but im not getting her out no more cos shes getting stressed - she looks gravid and as such came too close to tagging me - an im not risking a tag when i dont know what from lol
Back to top Go down
binksyboy3
Androctonus
binksyboy3

Number of posts : 1690
Registration date : 2009-03-05

PostSubject: Re: can somebody here ID this its clearly not what it was sold as   can somebody here ID this its clearly not what it was sold as Empty5/27/2010, 7:39 am

Looks like an Opistophthalmus Adustus to me. Smile

Here: http://www.ntnu.no/ub/scorpion-files/o_adustus.jpg

http://www.ntnu.no/ub/scorpion-files/o_adustus2.jpg

Note the last segment of the metasoma is dark in colour.
Back to top Go down
daniel
Pandinus

PostSubject: Re: can somebody here ID this its clearly not what it was sold as   can somebody here ID this its clearly not what it was sold as Empty5/27/2010, 9:41 am

how big do they grow? cant find anything on them - this one looks gravid to me but is very small - wherea the one in the pic looks larger - ill get a pic near a coin for reference - ive one on here somewhere already

can somebody here ID this its clearly not what it was sold as Size

thats a 20p coin - been a non uk forum im not sure that helps
Back to top Go down
binksyboy3
Androctonus
binksyboy3

PostSubject: Re: can somebody here ID this its clearly not what it was sold as   can somebody here ID this its clearly not what it was sold as Empty5/27/2010, 2:55 pm

Most Opistophthalmus sp grow to a size of approximately 10 - 15cm. So going by that, I would say yours is a youngster that is closer to molting than being gravid as they must be mature in order to be gravid.

But on the other hand, this sp could be an exception.
Back to top Go down
daniel
Pandinus

PostSubject: Re: can somebody here ID this its clearly not what it was sold as   can somebody here ID this its clearly not what it was sold as Empty5/27/2010, 3:41 pm

yeah it could be a moult but only time will tell, if it is gravid however it would be handy to know exactly what sp she is as then i can get her enclosure spot on. i was hoping somebody would have been able to tell deffinitively from the pics but i guess im gonna have to invest in a camera and get some good clear shots that somebody can see clearer. it doesnt help her been so fat either i guess
Back to top Go down
daniel
Pandinus

PostSubject: Re: can somebody here ID this its clearly not what it was sold as   can somebody here ID this its clearly not what it was sold as Empty5/27/2010, 3:46 pm

i think the adustus is the most likely, ive been looking at hundreds of images on google and it was sudgested scorpio maurus but from what i can see they have a more smooth back whereas this has a more texture
boehmi - but now that you mentioned the darker patch near tyhe telson i think it has to be more adustus as the images of boehmi dont have that dark patch

can we tell off the above pics if it is deffinately from the opistophthalmus family?

would i also be correct in my information that the adustus is from nambia and export restrictions make this a very hard to get hold of scorpion? Suspect
Back to top Go down
H. laoticus
Parabuthus
H. laoticus

Number of posts : 1401
Registration date : 2009-03-26

PostSubject: Re: can somebody here ID this its clearly not what it was sold as   can somebody here ID this its clearly not what it was sold as Empty5/28/2010, 1:12 am

very nice scorpion!

well, I don't have much experience with this species, but it looks like a tri-color burrowing scorpion, Opistophthalmus wahlbergi.

I don't think it's Scorpio maurus as well.

Here are sites on tri-color care:
http://www.petbugs.com/caresheets/O-walberghi.html

http://www.lotsalegs.tenczar.net/Opistophthalmus/Opistophthalmus.htm

http://www.reptilecity.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=reptiles&Product_Code=TS1&Category_Code=SCORPIONS

hopefully they're all consistent lol
Back to top Go down
daniel
Pandinus

PostSubject: Re: can somebody here ID this its clearly not what it was sold as   can somebody here ID this its clearly not what it was sold as Empty5/28/2010, 3:27 am

that complicates things then - haha the wahlbergii also has the black mark - i think the whalbergii is one of the 3 that are readily imported here - as the adustus appears to be rare to get over here.
Back to top Go down
H. laoticus
Parabuthus
H. laoticus

Number of posts : 1401
Registration date : 2009-03-26

PostSubject: Re: can somebody here ID this its clearly not what it was sold as   can somebody here ID this its clearly not what it was sold as Empty5/28/2010, 5:33 am

Here's a pic of boehmi:
http://www.ntnu.no/ub/scorpion-files/o_boehmi.jpg

From this I'd say it isn't boehmi.

However, I don't know if it's adustus as you mentioned.
Here's a pic:
http://www.ntnu.no/ub/scorpion-files/o_adustus.jpg

The scorpion files pics here: http://www.ntnu.no/ub/scorpion-files/gallery.htm confused me a bit about wahlberghii as they have variations of them.
Back to top Go down
daniel
Pandinus

PostSubject: Re: can somebody here ID this its clearly not what it was sold as   can somebody here ID this its clearly not what it was sold as Empty5/28/2010, 5:39 am

i think its deffinately adustus or whalbergii - problem is both look alike
i cant determine one from the other
Back to top Go down
binksyboy3
Androctonus
binksyboy3

PostSubject: Re: can somebody here ID this its clearly not what it was sold as   can somebody here ID this its clearly not what it was sold as Empty5/28/2010, 6:27 am

Hmmm, it sure is a tough one because Adustus is very uncommon. I'm, gonna stick with my original thoughts though and say it is Adustus because it has:

1) Same colour and patterning on the tergites
2) Darker last segment on the metasoma
3) Dark carapace with lighter parts around the outside near the eyes on the top.
4) Reasonably dark "fingers" on the chela.

Whereas Walberghi, has very dark fingers and is darker in overall colour. The yellow colour isn't as pale as the Adustus or your one.
Back to top Go down
daniel
Pandinus

PostSubject: Re: can somebody here ID this its clearly not what it was sold as   can somebody here ID this its clearly not what it was sold as Empty5/29/2010, 3:45 am

well, according to the www. if its a whalbergii it wants peat substrate
if its adustus it wants desert setup - 2 extremely similar scorps and 2 different requirements
ive put it in a sand peat mix substrate at the moment and it SEEMS happy enough

i think im gonna go with it been an adustus too though would be great to know for deffinate - ive been back to the shop i got it from to see if they can get in touch with their supplier and find out what they had in stock and what was sent

if it is an adustus, does that mean its worth a bit of cash been rare? i only paid £19.99 for it - same as the emperors they have in there.
Back to top Go down
TELOW
Centruroides
TELOW

Number of posts : 205
Registration date : 2008-12-17

PostSubject: Re: can somebody here ID this its clearly not what it was sold as   can somebody here ID this its clearly not what it was sold as Empty8/1/2010, 11:48 am

opistophthalmus is not my cup of coffee
but yeah i think its a scorpion lol!

Last edited by TELOW on 8/7/2010, 5:09 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
the lycan mikey
Tityus
the lycan mikey

Number of posts : 865
Registration date : 2010-01-28

PostSubject: Re: can somebody here ID this its clearly not what it was sold as   can somebody here ID this its clearly not what it was sold as Empty8/1/2010, 6:20 pm

after looking through pics, i agree with binksy...
it looks too much alike to the adustus...

also looks like a fat pre molt lol
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/profile.php?ref=profile&
LXDNG79
Tityus
LXDNG79

Number of posts : 605
Registration date : 2008-10-16

PostSubject: Re: can somebody here ID this its clearly not what it was sold as   can somebody here ID this its clearly not what it was sold as Empty8/1/2010, 10:07 pm

well the pics don't really show that kind of prominent darkness as the scorpion file pics...

It looks familiar.... I've kept them b4 thinking they were Scorpio maurus but they were indeed Opistophthalmus... species could be boehmi or ecristatus lol need more clearer shots of the carapace and metasoma as well as every segment of the pedipalp
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: can somebody here ID this its clearly not what it was sold as   can somebody here ID this its clearly not what it was sold as Empty

Back to top Go down

can somebody here ID this its clearly not what it was sold as
Page 1 of 1