The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

List of Hissing Scorpions?

Go down 
+7
Kejser
mrflibble
LXDNG79
Mr. Mordax
H. laoticus
binksyboy3
Majestic
11 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Majestic
Hadogenes
Majestic

Number of posts : 53
Registration date : 2010-02-11

List of Hissing Scorpions? Empty
PostSubject: List of Hissing Scorpions?   List of Hissing Scorpions? Empty3/6/2010, 5:24 pm

Hi guys I would like to have a list of hissing scorpions as I cannot find a reliable source online.. atm I found out that a Heterometrus swammerdami or Heterometrus Scaber are the only hissers but I still don't have a 100% guarantee :S would really appreciate for the info and thanks in advance!
Back to top Go down
binksyboy3
Androctonus
binksyboy3

Number of posts : 1690
Registration date : 2009-03-05

PostSubject: Re: List of Hissing Scorpions?   List of Hissing Scorpions? Empty3/6/2010, 5:27 pm

Opistophthalmus sp. I'm pretty sure all the species in that genus do it but not 100% on that.
Back to top Go down
Majestic
Hadogenes
Majestic

PostSubject: Re: List of Hissing Scorpions?   List of Hissing Scorpions? Empty3/6/2010, 5:34 pm

thanks binks I was checking www.bugzuk.com and the Heterometrus swammerdami caught my attention coz apparently it grows bigger than an emp.. very territorial *don't even know if that's how I should say it :S* , and they hiss if they are threathened but then again I don't have a based facts and would love if any guys can confirm all these info.. I recently bought another tank and hoping to buy this scorpion for my birthday treat to myself even tho I just recently got my emperor scorpion a month ago which is actually doing great even tho i rarely see her come out her burrowed cave and she eats 3 adult crickets every tuesday night lolz! man this scorpion hobby is very addictive.. I just want big non lethal scorpions but at the same time shows aggressiveness and a little feature like hissing LOL! emperors are good don't get me wrong i love my emp! but i just want more Very Happy
Back to top Go down
binksyboy3
Androctonus
binksyboy3

PostSubject: Re: List of Hissing Scorpions?   List of Hissing Scorpions? Empty3/6/2010, 5:38 pm

Yep, Swammerdamis are bigger.
Back to top Go down
H. laoticus
Parabuthus
H. laoticus

Number of posts : 1401
Registration date : 2009-03-26

PostSubject: Re: List of Hissing Scorpions?   List of Hissing Scorpions? Empty3/6/2010, 5:43 pm

My Heterometrus petersii hisses.
Back to top Go down
Majestic
Hadogenes
Majestic

PostSubject: Re: List of Hissing Scorpions?   List of Hissing Scorpions? Empty3/6/2010, 5:44 pm

do they hiss and more agrresive than emps?? and is it true in whatever species of scorpions males are always more aggressive than females based on facts or not?
Back to top Go down
Majestic
Hadogenes
Majestic

PostSubject: Re: List of Hissing Scorpions?   List of Hissing Scorpions? Empty3/6/2010, 5:47 pm

Oh thanks for the info lao Smile the only thing is that I can't find any decent sellers in UK selling Heterometrus petersii... the reason im trying to get info on swammerdamis because that's the only available scorp I can get here in uk but just wanted to make sure they hiss and are more agressive than emps ^_^ I want to slowly get into caring from beginner to intermmediate type of scorps.. and maybe one day i'll be eligible enough to own a death stalker but not sure where I could buy that in UK lol!
Back to top Go down
binksyboy3
Androctonus
binksyboy3

PostSubject: Re: List of Hissing Scorpions?   List of Hissing Scorpions? Empty3/6/2010, 5:53 pm

http://www.bugzuk.com/scorpions.php?page=1

Lots of Heterometrus sp available.

http://www.virginiacheeseman.co.uk/scorpions-c-32.html

A couple of spinifers.

Heres some more interesting species you can get: http://www.thespidershop.co.uk/insect/index.php?cPath=50_35

Hope this helps!

Smile
Back to top Go down
Majestic
Hadogenes
Majestic

PostSubject: Re: List of Hissing Scorpions?   List of Hissing Scorpions? Empty3/6/2010, 6:04 pm

Thanks binks!! I like the third link more Very Happy Oh so all heterometrus Spinifers or Sp hiss??
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

Number of posts : 7743
Registration date : 2008-02-06

PostSubject: Re: List of Hissing Scorpions?   List of Hissing Scorpions? Empty3/6/2010, 6:05 pm

My H. longimanus has hissed, and I've heard adult emps hiss as well.

Some Parabuthus spp. hiss, but you wouldn't be able to find those easily in the UK. (Those one also his by a different mechanism.)
Back to top Go down
Majestic
Hadogenes
Majestic

PostSubject: Re: List of Hissing Scorpions?   List of Hissing Scorpions? Empty3/6/2010, 6:17 pm

Oh so almost all scorpions hiss?? So there's no actual regular hisser by any chance?? I've got and adult female emp rarely see her and never heard her hiss even when I'm cleaning her tank and she goes on defensive stance with the claws up open with the stinger up... but other than that no hiss... and I don't really wna stress her and tryna scare her just to find out if she will hiss or not, I would like to handle her too but scared that I might stress her enough to lessen her life span.. I tried checking in youtube for hissing scorpions and its mostly this heterometrus scaber which is hard to find/buy online...
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

PostSubject: Re: List of Hissing Scorpions?   List of Hissing Scorpions? Empty3/6/2010, 6:21 pm

I wouldn't say "almost all" hiss, but there's a good handful of species that do.

Technically, it's called "stridulation," because they make the sound by rubbing things together (unlike hissing cockroaches, which are actually expelling air).
Back to top Go down
Majestic
Hadogenes
Majestic

PostSubject: Re: List of Hissing Scorpions?   List of Hissing Scorpions? Empty3/6/2010, 6:25 pm

Oh.. that cleared alot of curiosity in my head thanks mordax Smile what would be your best bet if you were going to get a scorpion and you would like to hear it do stridulation so often, what would you recommend? well something you could find in the UK would be helpful Smile
Back to top Go down
LXDNG79
Tityus
LXDNG79

Number of posts : 605
Registration date : 2008-10-16

PostSubject: Re: List of Hissing Scorpions?   List of Hissing Scorpions? Empty3/6/2010, 7:22 pm

I attempted to record the sound of the stridulation on video but though sufficiently audible to me, was not picked up by the microphone very well...

Best way to get them to hiss. Nudge a sleeping scorp from the rear leg... it will turn 180 to face the aggressor, this somehow produces the loudess 'hiss.' However, these die-down quite a bit with re-takes

I'm not sure how well you can hear it though....
Back to top Go down
mrflibble
Centruroides
mrflibble

Number of posts : 222
Registration date : 2008-11-29

PostSubject: Re: List of Hissing Scorpions?   List of Hissing Scorpions? Empty3/6/2010, 10:14 pm

H.swammerdami definitely hiss, and they are definitely tetchy, one of mine virtually jumps up at me when i annoy it. they can be quite loud when they want to be Smile
Back to top Go down
Kejser
Administrator
Kejser

Number of posts : 1373

PostSubject: Re: List of Hissing Scorpions?   List of Hissing Scorpions? Empty3/6/2010, 10:30 pm

i have heard, differnt Pandinus, Heterometrus, Opistophthalmus sp. Hiss many of the larger sp can proably hiss..
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

PostSubject: Re: List of Hissing Scorpions?   List of Hissing Scorpions? Empty3/7/2010, 1:39 am

I heard the second hiss in Alex's video.

By the way, you speak in an even more "scientific" tone than I'm accused of using. Razz
Back to top Go down
lycanlord
Leiurus
lycanlord

Number of posts : 2916
Registration date : 2008-06-03

PostSubject: Re: List of Hissing Scorpions?   List of Hissing Scorpions? Empty3/7/2010, 6:39 am

I find it funny when my H.spinnys hiss, but its even funnier when they bang their claws together
Back to top Go down
LXDNG79
Tityus
LXDNG79

Number of posts : 605
Registration date : 2008-10-16

PostSubject: Re: List of Hissing Scorpions?   List of Hissing Scorpions? Empty3/7/2010, 11:51 am

Mr. Mordax wrote:
I heard the second hiss in Alex's video.

By the way, you speak in an even more "scientific" tone than I'm accused of using. Razz

My mind was tired at that moment, and I was fumbling over appropriate words; my dependence on a mechanical thesaurus has left speech-impaired....

I reckon with the exception of H. scaber... hissing from this genus is minor in comparison to Opistophthalmus...

and yes Lycanlord, the chela-clapping is very prominent among Hets... My late female Pandinus has taken hold of my tweezers and wrestled it out of my grip!!!! I usually exercise restraint in my own strength vs. my scorps but that really caught me off guard!
Back to top Go down
Majestic
Hadogenes
Majestic

PostSubject: Re: List of Hissing Scorpions?   List of Hissing Scorpions? Empty3/8/2010, 12:18 pm

Which is the biggest Heterometrus scorpions out there? from biggest to smallest and rough size on each like 9inches and so on.. The video you showed helped alot thanks man! oh and that scorpion you have is really cool is it ok to put that big scorpion in a small cage? Thanks again guys and would appreciate if someone can put a list of Heterometrus from biggest to smallest with sizes like 9 inches or something like that pleeeaaaseeee Very Happy Thanks for the replies!
Back to top Go down
lycanlord
Leiurus
lycanlord

PostSubject: Re: List of Hissing Scorpions?   List of Hissing Scorpions? Empty3/8/2010, 1:25 pm

H.swammerdami would be the biggest off the top of my head
Back to top Go down
binksyboy3
Androctonus
binksyboy3

PostSubject: Re: List of Hissing Scorpions?   List of Hissing Scorpions? Empty3/8/2010, 2:54 pm

I don't know if I can put them in order of size, but Swammerdami is definitely the biggest.
Back to top Go down
the lycan mikey
Tityus
the lycan mikey

Number of posts : 865
Registration date : 2010-01-28

PostSubject: Re: List of Hissing Scorpions?   List of Hissing Scorpions? Empty3/8/2010, 3:40 pm

binksyboy3 wrote:
I don't know if I can put them in order of size, but Swammerdami is definitely the biggest.

how do you tell the difference between this sp and say an emp?
because i seen a pic that reminds me of the 2 i have now...

i found this pic on google, but it also appears somewhere on this forum...
and it kind of reminds me of the size difference between my two females

https://media.photobucket.com/image/heterometrus%20swammerdami/aztec_vamp/DSC02828.jpg
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/profile.php?ref=profile&
lycanlord
Leiurus
lycanlord

PostSubject: Re: List of Hissing Scorpions?   List of Hissing Scorpions? Empty3/8/2010, 3:49 pm

those pictures you posted the link to look like emperors lol

List of Hissing Scorpions? 800px-Indiangiant

List of Hissing Scorpions? H_swammerdami(f)_babies2

this is a great place to look
http://www.ntnu.no/ub/scorpion-files/
Back to top Go down
the lycan mikey
Tityus
the lycan mikey

Number of posts : 865
Registration date : 2010-01-28

PostSubject: Re: List of Hissing Scorpions?   List of Hissing Scorpions? Empty3/8/2010, 4:04 pm

wow that definitely puts things into perspective...lol

so all swammerdamis have that color or does it differentiate between juveniles and adults?

btw...in the link you put at the bottom i cant find swammerdamis anywhere on the site...

*edit*
ok nevermind i found them, they just dont have the info i was looking for...
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/profile.php?ref=profile&
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: List of Hissing Scorpions?   List of Hissing Scorpions? Empty

Back to top Go down

List of Hissing Scorpions?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next