The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

ID please, Gertchi?

Go down 
+6
*Connie*
AbyssX3
Rasputin
Mr. Mordax
Venom
Athlon2k2
10 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
josh_r
Pandinus

Number of posts : 41
Registration date : 2008-02-15

ID please, Gertchi? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: ID please, Gertchi?   ID please, Gertchi? - Page 2 Empty3/18/2008, 11:48 pm

Athlon2k2 wrote:
I only have only run into 2 out of the 15 I have caught in my back yard. Maybe I can start breeding them and you guys will have the hook up.

will be interesting to see if these breed true. you will have to keep us posted
Back to top Go down
skinheaddave
Pandinus

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2008-02-06

PostSubject: Re: ID please, Gertchi?   ID please, Gertchi? - Page 2 Empty5/11/2008, 7:29 am

Athlon2k2 wrote:
I only have only run into 2 out of the 15 I have caught in my back yard. Maybe I can start breeding them and you guys will have the hook up.

I'm surprised nobody has picked up on this yet. After claiming subspecific status -- even a sort of loosey goosey hobbyist subspecific status -- you run into huge problems when you hit the above statement. That the two colourations are sympatric (in the same place) puts serious doubt as to any restriction in gene flow between the two colourations. Unless you are in a very narrow sort of hybrid zone (which, based on your location and my own findings down there would be basically impossible), the observations presented here support the current status of C.sculpturatus not having subspecies -- at least not a gertschi subspecies.

All this being said, of course, they are still fantastically pretty specimens.

Cheers,
Dave
Back to top Go down
Rasputin
Parabuthus

Number of posts : 1051
Registration date : 2008-03-12

PostSubject: Re: ID please, Gertchi?   ID please, Gertchi? - Page 2 Empty5/11/2008, 8:50 pm

welcome to the board Dave
Back to top Go down
skinheaddave
Pandinus

PostSubject: Re: ID please, Gertchi?   ID please, Gertchi? - Page 2 Empty5/14/2008, 5:39 pm

Thanks. I've actually been lurking here for a bit off and on, but never bothered to post.

Cheers,
Dave
Back to top Go down
~Abyss~
Administrator
~Abyss~

Number of posts : 6472
Registration date : 2008-02-05

PostSubject: Re: ID please, Gertchi?   ID please, Gertchi? - Page 2 Empty5/14/2008, 7:35 pm

The whole "gertschi " thing has confused me a tad bit. When C. sculp was C. exc wasn't it a subspecies? It's just a color morph isn't it?
Back to top Go down
https://scorpionforum.darkbb.com
Rasputin
Parabuthus

PostSubject: Re: ID please, Gertchi?   ID please, Gertchi? - Page 2 Empty5/14/2008, 7:52 pm

~Abyss~ wrote:
The whole "gertschi " thing has confused me a tad bit. When C. sculp was C. exc wasn't it a subspecies? It's just a color morph isn't it?

to the best of my knowledge it's just a color morph
Back to top Go down
skinheaddave
Pandinus

PostSubject: Re: ID please, Gertchi?   ID please, Gertchi? - Page 2 Empty5/14/2008, 9:16 pm

Centruroides gertschi used to be considered a valid species. When it was synonymized with Centruroides sculpturatus it was not downgraded to a subspecies but was abolished entirely. In other words, it was thought that C.gertschi and C.sculpturatus were one and the same.

So yes it is just a term applied to specimens of a certain colouration/patterning. Even the term "colour morph" might be a bit misleading if there are intermediates between a "true" C.gertschi and a plain specimen. As to what constitutes a "true" gertschi morph, here is the original description of colouration for Centruroides gertschi. Remember that morphologically, it has been deemed the same as C.sculpturatus.

ID please, Gertchi? - Page 2 N512434965_827632_7693

Cheers,
Dave
Back to top Go down
Rasputin
Parabuthus

PostSubject: Re: ID please, Gertchi?   ID please, Gertchi? - Page 2 Empty5/14/2008, 9:51 pm

how is it I'm not able to find anything actually written by Herbert Stahnke?
Back to top Go down
skinheaddave
Pandinus

PostSubject: Re: ID please, Gertchi?   ID please, Gertchi? - Page 2 Empty5/14/2008, 10:08 pm

Well, he only published until the very early 80s, which was well before journals were coming out in electronic format and is still older than many journals go back when they do digitize their holdings. He also published a lot in localized journals which are specific to Arizona or certain institutions. Conversely, his work isn't generally old enough or grand enough to be digitized towards the ends of history, such as the various old texts found on The Scorpion Files.

Cheers,
Dave
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: ID please, Gertchi?   ID please, Gertchi? - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

ID please, Gertchi?
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum! :: The Scorpion's Lair :: Scorpion ID-
Jump to: