The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

Centruroides sculpturatus

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

Number of posts : 7743
Registration date : 2008-02-06

Centruroides sculpturatus Empty
PostSubject: Centruroides sculpturatus   Centruroides sculpturatus Empty9/24/2009, 12:39 am

This summer I acquired a female Centruroides sculpturatus as part of a trade. To the best of my knowledge, she was collected recently from somewhere in Arizona. She was assumed to be gravid -- she appeared very plump and a female collected in the same batch had already produced one brood.

Unfortunately, I do not have any photos of her at this point.

On the evening of September 2nd, she was found carrying a large pile of first-instars:
Centruroides sculpturatus DSCN8214.sized

Young were estimated to number at 20.

The young on September 7th:
Centruroides sculpturatus DSCN8292.sized

The young were observed completing the molt to second instar on September 9th, with most having completed the molt when this picture was taken:
Centruroides sculpturatus DSCN8316.sized

On September 12, the second-instar young were still all on the female's back, with none wandering away. They did not appear to fluoresce at this point.
Centruroides sculpturatus DSCN8389.sized

Young were observed to begin wandering from the female on September 15, though upon disturbance (such as removing a container lid) most scrambled back to her.
Centruroides sculpturatus DSCN2380.sized

At this point the majority of young were removed from the female with a small paintbrush and she was separated to facilitate housing the young individually.

The final count of young was 26.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

PostSubject: Re: Centruroides sculpturatus   Centruroides sculpturatus Empty9/26/2009, 1:53 pm

Followup: Yesterday, September 25, I introduced this female to my male. She had not eaten since before I got her, but the male quickly sought out her chela. Within a few minutes they were performing the Promenade à deux, which continued for roughly half an hour. They were not disturbed by moving the container around to show my colleagues what was going on.

At one point, my boss walked in, so I lifted the container up to show him. I distinctly recall seeing them still grasping chela when I reached for them, but by the time my boss saw them they had separated. I glanced in and saw a spermatophore on the bark.

Expect pictures to follow later today.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Centruroides sculpturatus   Centruroides sculpturatus Empty11/22/2010, 12:02 pm

So... What happened?
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

PostSubject: Re: Centruroides sculpturatus   Centruroides sculpturatus Empty11/22/2010, 9:41 pm

Eventually died without producing another brood. If anything, the "update" shows that females will readily mate within several weeks of parturition (hardly noteworthy, as some have been photographed while carrying a brood).
Back to top Go down
shining
Parabuthus
shining

Number of posts : 1162
Registration date : 2011-05-28

PostSubject: Re: Centruroides sculpturatus   Centruroides sculpturatus Empty7/1/2011, 1:19 pm

i found a bark two nights ago.she appeared gravid to my untrained eye and sure enough her first night home before i could get a permanent enclosure she gave birth to at least 20. yay.
Back to top Go down
pluto
Leiurus

Number of posts : 2647
Registration date : 2011-04-16

PostSubject: Re: Centruroides sculpturatus   Centruroides sculpturatus Empty7/1/2011, 2:39 pm

gz dude exciting isnt it!
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/irapesheep?feature=mhee
69wishes
Centruroides
69wishes

Number of posts : 207
Registration date : 2011-05-23

PostSubject: Re: Centruroides sculpturatus   Centruroides sculpturatus Empty7/1/2011, 2:42 pm

Heyyy....Ive got a tankful of C Sculpts...
Somebody has GOT to be gravid,right?
Back to top Go down
shining
Parabuthus
shining

Number of posts : 1162
Registration date : 2011-05-28

PostSubject: Re: Centruroides sculpturatus   Centruroides sculpturatus Empty7/1/2011, 3:00 pm

yes pluto it is very exciting!!!!! Very Happy
hahaha wishes yeah somebodies probably knocked up.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Centruroides sculpturatus   Centruroides sculpturatus Empty

Back to top Go down

Centruroides sculpturatus
Page 1 of 1