The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

Any one know about fishes?

Go down 
+2
2xw
*Connie*
6 posters
AuthorMessage
*Connie*
Post-whore
*Connie*

Number of posts : 3705
Registration date : 2008-02-06

Any one know about fishes? Empty
PostSubject: Any one know about fishes?   Any one know about fishes? Empty7/27/2009, 5:04 am

For years ive had a comet tail gold fish and a Shubunkin. He was massive. The other day he died so Adam and I trotted off to the shop in search of a new fish. Ive always loved black moor fish and the shop said a comet tail and black moors will be fine (only problem will be the race for food). Im always a "never listen to the shop" girl and went against my gut feeling and bought them. As I expected the comet tail became a nipper of tails and a total bully.
Comet tail last night was taken out after seeing a tear in one black moors tail. Punished and banished into a temp tank for mother to collect today.

One black moor is swimming about as happy as larry (whoever this larry is that we all hope to be like...) Wink

The other is in the bottom left hand side of the tank...."resting" or in this case only moving when the filter current pulls him in a bit. I can TELL this fish is stressed and something is wrong.
Im thinking an outbreak of white spot is about to happen...or this fish has got something else stress related about to kill it. I dont give it more then a few days!

Anyone have any ideas to this behaviour.

We are going down to the shop to buy two more fish, another black moor ready for when this one dies and he wants a pearlscale fancy fish (all small currently and will be put into bigger tanks when grow etc)

So...anyone can shead some light on this fish and its behaviour after not even 24 hours in my care!?

xxx

EDIT:HA! I post that he he starts swimming about again! Im gonna keep my eye on them both!
Back to top Go down
http://healingfromwithin.heavenforum.com/index.htm
2xw
Centruroides
2xw

Number of posts : 170
Registration date : 2009-07-26

PostSubject: Re: Any one know about fishes?   Any one know about fishes? Empty7/28/2009, 7:14 pm

I knwo it sounds wierd but i heard if they stay still sometimes on theyre side they can be passing gas, which takes a few days, and is a result of them overfeeding too much..... (not being overfed, rather gorging themselves)
Back to top Go down
scorpion111
Post-whore
scorpion111

Number of posts : 3455
Registration date : 2008-04-07

PostSubject: Re: Any one know about fishes?   Any one know about fishes? Empty7/29/2009, 2:59 am

fish don't constantly swim. they may lay still in the water for a while at a time, whever i've seen this I have guess that they are just resting/sleeping. and if you have just taken it back and put it in the tank, it may be stunned, in which case they look dead but soon revive. It should be fine. Smile
Back to top Go down
*Connie*
Post-whore
*Connie*

PostSubject: Re: Any one know about fishes?   Any one know about fishes? Empty7/29/2009, 3:04 am

Not on his side at all. Just resting on the bottom right way up.
They have only been fed once by me and that was yesterday with a bag of daphnia for them all Smile
I waited on feeding them as I knew a new batch was going in on Monday
(first lot bought Sunday, the next Monday)
and yesterday was first feed to help blast their systems clean so to speak!

I think they are just stressed and maybe weak ones if will die from stress which causes internal problems to come to the surface.

Im not going to do anything.
I think im freaking out too much as sometimes all 3 of my black moors are swimming, then one will rest or 2 will be resting or all 3 while his pearlscale swims about none stop!

They were all £2..if one or more die...we can always replace.
I will treat white spot if that happens. Just a waiting and watching game
Back to top Go down
redknee
Tityus

Number of posts : 662
Location : Sw. Georgia, Home of the Hentzi King and the C. hentzi army

PostSubject: Re: Any one know about fishes?   Any one know about fishes? Empty7/30/2009, 4:03 pm

Hey Connie

A few tips for you:

1) You should never (at least in my opinion and the Pet Store I use to work at for 2 yrs) comets in with any type of goldfish that has doubled tail like the Black Moores, Mirandas and a few others. Cuz they are nothing but a bully (fin nippers) to them, especially if the comet are the first one in the tank and if they are they largest one. Try to stick with Fancy Tails and Morres and ones like them.

2) Try placing freshwater tank salt( not marine salt) in the tank with your fish (even goes with Tropical Fish too) for a few reason.
A ) The Freshwater Salt add better gill function for better breathing.
B) Helps to keep down the stress level in the if they is any.
C) Help to kill and prevent Ick, as you called them white spots.

Over all, by adding this freshwater Salt you'll see a difference in your fish, like they have taking a Vitamine B shot or something.

Most people i waited on at the pet store tripped out when i suggested for them to add this salt. First thing they say is We don't have an saltwater tank. But there is a salt level in all ponds and rivers, may not be a high level but there is still some in there.

With You keeping goldfish. If your tank starts to look cloudy, time for a partial water change. Like 50%. You don't hjave to do a complete cleaning in your tank. You don't want tostrip out all the natural bacteria the fish needs to life longer and healthier.

Hope I was some help for you in some way. I do have lots experience fish, 23 yrs with tropical and 2yrs with saltwater reef keeping.
I don't know everything but i can be of help.

Mark-
Back to top Go down
*Connie*
Post-whore
*Connie*

PostSubject: Re: Any one know about fishes?   Any one know about fishes? Empty7/30/2009, 6:51 pm

I need to do a partial water change on saturday
Ive had fish for 10 years plus but not been very...well no expert.
I KNEW having the comet tail with the black moors would be a bad idea. But I still bought them.
As expected the comet tail was fin nipping. But my Mum has rehomed him Smile she is going to get a friend for him next week.

I have to admit im nervous I would put too much salt in. So will have to have a think about it and work out the right ammount.

I dont think Ick is present in the tank. Ive been keeping a close eye on them.

In watching, the moors have a little bit of activity. Like bursts of activity while the pearlscale fancy fish is ALWAYS swimming around. I think its just different temperments.
Maybe still a bit stressed from the move etc.
Back to top Go down
redknee
Tityus

PostSubject: Re: Any one know about fishes?   Any one know about fishes? Empty8/1/2009, 10:10 pm

on the box tells ya of how much salt you need to add per gallon

even though i am not too much into goldfish, BUT, i do like how the blackmoore looks
Back to top Go down
*Connie*
Post-whore
*Connie*

PostSubject: Re: Any one know about fishes?   Any one know about fishes? Empty8/12/2009, 3:37 am

gah. Black moor on the bottom of the tank on its side. taken it out but another is resting on the bottom too. Something is going on in that tank that nots right.
Im going to do a water change later and see if that helps
Back to top Go down
*Connie*
Post-whore
*Connie*

PostSubject: Re: Any one know about fishes?   Any one know about fishes? Empty8/12/2009, 6:04 am

never mind. fish is dead.

Will get my water tested later today at pets at home (its free)
Back to top Go down
redknee
Tityus

PostSubject: Re: Any one know about fishes?   Any one know about fishes? Empty8/16/2009, 6:26 pm

sorry to heaR of the fish dying on ya
Back to top Go down
*Connie*
Post-whore
*Connie*

PostSubject: Re: Any one know about fishes?   Any one know about fishes? Empty8/17/2009, 3:49 am

water was fine on monday. then did a water change. all been fine. last night another fish upside down. Put in peas (crushed) and it buked up! was NORMAL! but this morning back to square one.
Oh well, when it dies will buy a new one
xxx
Back to top Go down
redknee
Tityus

PostSubject: Re: Any one know about fishes?   Any one know about fishes? Empty8/17/2009, 1:59 pm

sorry to hear of that connie. Wish i could of been more of help with this. I had encountered this many times through out the years keeping tropical fish. And no matter what i have tried, nothing seem to help out. The only thing i was able to come up with, it was the end of the fish's lifeline.

So far, I had not ran into this with keeping saltwater fish.
Back to top Go down
_scorpio_
Androctonus
_scorpio_

Number of posts : 1827
Registration date : 2008-04-11

PostSubject: Re: Any one know about fishes?   Any one know about fishes? Empty9/16/2009, 8:29 am

*Connie* wrote:

Oh well, when it dies will buy a new one
xxx

that is not a solution to the problem, and i would say the problem is you suddenly added 2 more fish which put strain on the beneficial bacteria and probably caused an ammonia or nitrite spike. how big is the tank? most people seem to think that goldfish are cheap so they must be able to live anywhere but obviously this is not true and keeping goldfish is harder than keeping tropicals.
hopefully you know that you have to dechlorinate the water you add... so assuming that you do.
1) you need a tank, go for the largest one you can afford no matter what fish are to be put in thereas the larger the tank, the easier it is to keep the water condition stable.
2) then you have to cycle the tank (which i hope you have done as it is necessary to keep fish alive, but don't bother asking Pets at hope people because they will not have a clue) which means feeding the beneficial bacteria (which can be found anywhere so will be in your tank somehow) on ammonia which is found in fish feces and is deadly over 0.5 ppm for too long. this process takes up to 8 weeks to complete from scratch but can take just 2-3 weeks if you borrow some mature filter media from someone else's tank that has been properly cycled.
3) once this process is complete chlorinated water MUST NOT touch the filter (so dechlorinate water before adding it to the tank and wash the filter sponge in a bowl of tank water not under the tap!) or all your bacteria die, ammonia and nitrite spikes occur and all your fish die.
4) you need to decide what fish to have and if you choose tropicals then put in a heater before cycling then tank and set it to 26 degrees C. generally it is better to go for a tropical tank as the fish stay smaller (well some of them like tetras etc.) and are less messy and more colorful.
5) if you are going to keep goldfish then you are going to need to perform weekly 40% water changes as they are very messy fish and they will need very large tanks. generally you need to go by this rule:
fantail fish (with stumpy bodys and more than one tail); smallest tank you can keep one in is a 80L tank, and then for every other one you need another 40L (so a 120L for 2, 160L for 3 etc.)
single tail fish (normal shaped ones with just one tail); these are a lot more energetic and easily out-compete fantails so you shouldnt keep them with fantails. because of this more energetic and fast moving lifestyle they need over double the tank size that fantails would need. so a 200L for one and another 100L per extra fish (so 300L for two etc.)

hope this helps!
and if you need any other help or information or if you decide to go tropical then this forum is the best place to go: http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/forum/
they will give you all the help and advice you will need to give your fish the best lives possible and they are a fairly calm bunch of people (like on here) and you very rarely get large arguments on there.
Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Back to top Go down
electrophyste
Babycurus
electrophyste

Number of posts : 357
Registration date : 2008-05-09

PostSubject: Re: Any one know about fishes?   Any one know about fishes? Empty9/27/2009, 3:08 am

how often do you vacuum the substrate, how big is the tank, how often do you clean your filter? black moors can get rather large, like any gold fish, but i had a golf ball sized one(with out fins) in a 100 tank with barbs and tetra and some dwarf cichlids with no problem of fin nipping, next time you see a sick fish in your tank, raise the temp up about 5 degrees, a sick fish in the wild will move to warmer shallow waters so its metabolism will be sped up so it can recover. then proceed with 25% water changes daily until you notice a difference, should be no longer then a week. if you have a smaller tank(30gal or under) you should be doing 25% water changer about every 4 days, if its under 15, almost daily, the bigger the tank the less maintenance. Gold fish also are pigs with lots of waist and emit alot of excess ammonia to a tank. maybe try something new. i suggest some kribensis... there purple:D and pink:D, or some cockatoo dwarf cichlids:D
Back to top Go down
*Connie*
Post-whore
*Connie*

PostSubject: Re: Any one know about fishes?   Any one know about fishes? Empty11/25/2009, 5:53 pm

^^^ Scorpio. I know how to properly clean the tank and care for fishies. I did everything by the book. ive had fish for years...
All fish are dead now. swim bladder problems. Even the one fish on his own popped his clogs. Was fine one day...the next started to go on his side...I put in daphnia etc etc, cleaned...bla bla...it sorted out but then a week later died.
Gah.
But im done with fishies now.
xxx
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Any one know about fishes?   Any one know about fishes? Empty

Back to top Go down

Any one know about fishes?
Page 1 of 1