The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

What qualifies as a "Beginner" scorpion?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

Number of posts : 7743
Registration date : 2008-02-06

What qualifies as a "Beginner" scorpion? Empty
PostSubject: What qualifies as a "Beginner" scorpion?   What qualifies as a "Beginner" scorpion? Empty2/6/2008, 10:06 pm

So what makes a scorpion suitable for the "beginner zone"? Generally, anything that isn't a Buthid and isn't terribly difficult to keep, and is also fairly common in captive collections. Common examples include the large forest scorpions (Pandinus and Heterometrus genera), flat-rock scorpions (Hadogenes spp.), the desert hairies (Hadrurus spp.), and a number of Vaejovid scorpions.

--- It should be noted that Hadrurus spp. are easy-to-keep beginners, but rearing juveniles in captivity has proven very difficult ---

What is NOT a beginner? Most Buthids -- see full list of genera below -- are not suitable as beginner scorpions. All medically significant scorpions are in family Buthidae. Among the more expert-oriented species are anything in the genera Androctonus, Tityus, Leirus, Hottentotta, or anything with "buthus" in the name.

So, if there's any question / comments / suggestions on the distinction here, feel free to post in this thread.
Back to top Go down
*Connie*
Post-whore
*Connie*

Number of posts : 3705

PostSubject: Re: What qualifies as a "Beginner" scorpion?   What qualifies as a "Beginner" scorpion? Empty6/12/2008, 3:17 pm

I would have to say "Iomachus politus". I know I havent owned my possible one long but...very calm scorpion. Teeny tiny but good natured it seems!
The only thing as a downside I could think would be its small size and also that its not a typical "stay on the ground or burrow" scorpion since it likes things like vertical hides etc.
Which could be a small situation as could be easily lost....
Back to top Go down
http://healingfromwithin.heavenforum.com/index.htm
RickyM
Pandinus

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2008-06-24

PostSubject: Re: What qualifies as a "Beginner" scorpion?   What qualifies as a "Beginner" scorpion? Empty6/24/2008, 1:20 am

Hi,
I think Centruroides hentzi would be a good beginner scorpion. it has mild venom and is very easy to keep

Rick
Back to top Go down
Athlon2k2
Tityus
Athlon2k2

Number of posts : 619

PostSubject: Re: What qualifies as a "Beginner" scorpion?   What qualifies as a "Beginner" scorpion? Empty6/24/2008, 2:09 am

Most big scorpions that aren't buthids.
Like Mike said anything that has a low venom level and is easy to take care of.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

Number of posts : 7743

PostSubject: Re: What qualifies as a "Beginner" scorpion?   What qualifies as a "Beginner" scorpion? Empty6/30/2008, 11:13 am

C. hentzi is actually a good example of a Buthid that is beginner-like. Barks are exciting for novice keepers because they're more active (especially when hunting), and so a species with mild venom and being native to a mild temperate climate is a good one to start with.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What qualifies as a "Beginner" scorpion?   What qualifies as a "Beginner" scorpion? Empty

Back to top Go down

What qualifies as a "Beginner" scorpion?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!-
Jump to: