The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

This beauty is on its way to me - A. versicolor

Go down 
+3
LadyRiotControl
Mr. Mordax
Kuma
7 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
corpselight
Babycurus

Number of posts : 251
Registration date : 2008-08-08

This beauty is on its way to me - A. versicolor - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: This beauty is on its way to me - A. versicolor   This beauty is on its way to me - A. versicolor - Page 2 Empty7/15/2009, 6:03 am

haha, yes Avics are known to use poo defense haha!
well as i said, they don't change instantly, they go through phases.

glad you got some slings as well, Leon! i know what you mean, it's nice to have a "finished example" as well as the slings, so you have the best of both worlds til they all are mature.

if you want another spider that goes from blue to...whatever, i suggest Phormictopus species.
they start as midnight blue, and slowly change going darker, and then when they mature, they sometimes are quite colourful, though i have to warn that some individuals/regional variants are more brown. however, if you are lucky, you get spiders with beautiful purple highlights, similar to Pamphobeteus...and the females don't seem to be less colourful than the males by a huge margin!
great eaters too, just a bit...bitey.
Back to top Go down
corpselight
Babycurus

PostSubject: Re: This beauty is on its way to me - A. versicolor   This beauty is on its way to me - A. versicolor - Page 2 Empty7/15/2009, 6:10 am

oh also, i believe it is the more mainland species that might possibly hybridise, though i don't think that is proven! just because they look alike to us doesn't mean the spiders are fooled by appearances. it happens with Brachypelma but i don't know if there is any proof with Avicularia.
the problem is that one species at one end of a river may look entirely different from the same species at the other end of the river, however if you just moved gradually along the river, the change would be imperceptible.
with A versicolor, i believe they appear on two islands (thus the two variants), and the problem is that in captivity, people haven't realised this and have bred the two together.
same species, but regional variation might be lost. i have no idea what the implact of that would be to the offspring.
Back to top Go down
Kuma
Tityus
Kuma

Number of posts : 839
Registration date : 2008-09-29

PostSubject: Re: This beauty is on its way to me - A. versicolor   This beauty is on its way to me - A. versicolor - Page 2 Empty7/15/2009, 6:57 pm

Here she is in my care. She's a quick girl and can jump really well!

This beauty is on its way to me - A. versicolor - Page 2 P1020215

This beauty is on its way to me - A. versicolor - Page 2 P1020212

This beauty is on its way to me - A. versicolor - Page 2 P1020213

This beauty is on its way to me - A. versicolor - Page 2 P1020214
Back to top Go down
Kuma
Tityus
Kuma

PostSubject: Re: This beauty is on its way to me - A. versicolor   This beauty is on its way to me - A. versicolor - Page 2 Empty7/15/2009, 7:32 pm

[quote="corpselight"]if you want another spider that goes from blue to...whatever, i suggest Phormictopus species.
quote]

Never heard of these Corpselight?
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

Number of posts : 7743
Registration date : 2008-02-06

PostSubject: Re: This beauty is on its way to me - A. versicolor   This beauty is on its way to me - A. versicolor - Page 2 Empty7/15/2009, 11:53 pm

Ah yes . . . the green on the carapace is MUCH more apparent now. Cool
Back to top Go down
corpselight
Babycurus

PostSubject: Re: This beauty is on its way to me - A. versicolor   This beauty is on its way to me - A. versicolor - Page 2 Empty7/16/2009, 1:24 pm

Phormictopus cancerides for example, known, unfortunately, as Haitian browns. some are brown but others have amazing purple highlights as adults.
also, they grow large and feisty! :venom:
Back to top Go down
Kuma
Tityus
Kuma

PostSubject: Re: This beauty is on its way to me - A. versicolor   This beauty is on its way to me - A. versicolor - Page 2 Empty8/10/2009, 11:06 pm

I'll look out for those corpselight!

Here is her home...
This beauty is on its way to me - A. versicolor - Page 2 Dsc04412
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

Number of posts : 7743
Registration date : 2008-02-06

PostSubject: Re: This beauty is on its way to me - A. versicolor   This beauty is on its way to me - A. versicolor - Page 2 Empty8/10/2009, 11:10 pm

Looks good!

I've never heard "blue pinktoe" as a common name for this species. The only one I've heard is "Antilles pinktoe."
Back to top Go down
Kuma
Tityus
Kuma

PostSubject: Re: This beauty is on its way to me - A. versicolor   This beauty is on its way to me - A. versicolor - Page 2 Empty8/10/2009, 11:24 pm

Mr. Mordax wrote:
Looks good!

I've never heard "blue pinktoe" as a common name for this species. The only one I've heard is "Antilles pinktoe."

Common names stand for .

Last edited by Mr. Mordax on 8/10/2009, 11:47 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : That counts . . .)
Back to top Go down
PaperTiger
Babycurus
PaperTiger

Number of posts : 399
Registration date : 2009-06-22

PostSubject: Re: This beauty is on its way to me - A. versicolor   This beauty is on its way to me - A. versicolor - Page 2 Empty8/11/2009, 2:05 am

Nice set up; thanks for the idea and congrats again cheers
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: This beauty is on its way to me - A. versicolor   This beauty is on its way to me - A. versicolor - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

This beauty is on its way to me - A. versicolor
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2