The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

Heterometrus spinifer molting2

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
LXDNG79
Tityus
LXDNG79

Number of posts : 605
Registration date : 2008-10-16

Heterometrus spinifer molting2 Empty
PostSubject: Heterometrus spinifer molting2   Heterometrus spinifer molting2 Empty6/6/2009, 5:38 pm

I took these earlier before the 1st molting post I made. These were of a 5i H. spinifer going on 6i, and I managed to get it from the very beginning. I observed it moving around in an odd manner and had a hunch it was about to molt so I set up the cameras and waited.
Heterometrus spinifer molting2 1-pre-moultposition
Picking a comfortable spot

Heterometrus spinifer molting2 2-Openinga
The scorpion increases its internal body pressure until it ruptures the old exoskeleton. The stress of the process can be likened to taking an incomprehensibly major poop.

Heterometrus spinifer molting2 3-MembraneRupturea
The chelicerae look like little boxing gloves, and the scorpion itself takes on a somewhat canine appearence
Heterometrus spinifer molting2 4-CarapceLift

Heterometrus spinifer molting2 5-Emergencea
Lurching forward to push its way out from its mortal coil.
Heterometrus spinifer molting2 5-Emergencec

Heterometrus spinifer molting2 6-UnravelingLimbdsa
Due to the meddling of some crix and ants which I annoyingly removed, this scorpion turned on its side mid-molt; a precariously disastrous situation but eventually managed to right itself again
Heterometrus spinifer molting2 6-UnravelingLimbdsc
After some overcoming some unimaginable adversity, this scorp pulled through without too much damage.
Heterometrus spinifer molting2 7Self-Inflation

Phew, free at last
Heterometrus spinifer molting2 9-FreshExoskelotona
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

Number of posts : 7743
Registration date : 2008-02-06

PostSubject: Re: Heterometrus spinifer molting2   Heterometrus spinifer molting2 Empty6/6/2009, 7:05 pm

FANTASTIC sequence!! cheers

I have to say, I laughed a little at the "incomprehensibly major poop" line. awesome
Back to top Go down
scorpion111
Post-whore
scorpion111

Number of posts : 3455
Registration date : 2008-04-07

PostSubject: Re: Heterometrus spinifer molting2   Heterometrus spinifer molting2 Empty6/6/2009, 7:47 pm

awesome pics there alex. it seems that some scorpion species even seem to "prefer" rolling over onto thier backs, I have seen a few posts on forums regarding Parabuthus Sp doing this.
Back to top Go down
LXDNG79
Tityus
LXDNG79

Number of posts : 605
Registration date : 2008-10-16

PostSubject: Re: Heterometrus spinifer molting2   Heterometrus spinifer molting2 Empty6/6/2009, 8:00 pm

Generally spinnys, don't. This one was picked on by ants while it was molting causing it to spaz. poor thing... but I relentlessly quashed them with tweezers lol.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Heterometrus spinifer molting2   Heterometrus spinifer molting2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Heterometrus spinifer molting2
Page 1 of 1