The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

Should i let light in?

Go down 
+3
scorpion111
~Abyss~
binksyboy3
7 posters
AuthorMessage
binksyboy3
Androctonus
binksyboy3

Number of posts : 1690
Registration date : 2009-03-05

Should i let light in? Empty
PostSubject: Should i let light in?   Should i let light in? Empty5/30/2009, 10:02 am

I have put a towel over the front and top of the tank. Shall i remove the top one as they cannot see the sunlight and it is all dark?
Back to top Go down
~Abyss~
Administrator
~Abyss~

Number of posts : 6472
Registration date : 2008-02-05

PostSubject: Re: Should i let light in?   Should i let light in? Empty5/30/2009, 1:06 pm

They don't really need sunlight but I would be more worried about ventilation.
Back to top Go down
https://scorpionforum.darkbb.com
scorpion111
Post-whore
scorpion111

Number of posts : 3455
Registration date : 2008-04-07

PostSubject: Re: Should i let light in?   Should i let light in? Empty5/30/2009, 1:25 pm

why do you have a towel on it on the first place? iit's better for thier scorpion cicaridan rhythm. I'd imagine it might be weird for them not to have a day/night cycle.
Back to top Go down
binksyboy3
Androctonus
binksyboy3

PostSubject: Re: Should i let light in?   Should i let light in? Empty5/30/2009, 3:37 pm

Yeah, i put a towel on there coz i was told to by others on this forum.
I was just wonderin if i should take the one on top off so that they could have a day and night cycle.

Last edited by binksyboy3 on 5/31/2009, 3:10 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
scorpion111
Post-whore
scorpion111

PostSubject: Re: Should i let light in?   Should i let light in? Empty5/30/2009, 5:12 pm

personally, I would take the towel off. but JUST so the scorpion can tell the difference between night and day. if you are gunna have lights on at night or such then sure put the towel on, just to keep things as natural as possible.
Back to top Go down
binksyboy3
Androctonus
binksyboy3

PostSubject: Re: Should i let light in?   Should i let light in? Empty5/30/2009, 5:15 pm

I've taken the top one off. All is well.
Back to top Go down
*Connie*
Post-whore
*Connie*

Number of posts : 3705
Registration date : 2008-02-06

PostSubject: Re: Should i let light in?   Should i let light in? Empty5/30/2009, 5:35 pm

he has put a towel over the front because of a brood to prevent him peeking in on the babies. Not because we advised it was the "norm".

Towel not on for anything else other to stop him peeking all the time
Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
http://healingfromwithin.heavenforum.com/index.htm
binksyboy3
Androctonus
binksyboy3

PostSubject: Re: Should i let light in?   Should i let light in? Empty5/30/2009, 5:40 pm

*Connie* wrote:
Towel not on for anything else other to stop him peeking all the time Rolling Eyes

It's working and i hate it. lol
Back to top Go down
*Connie*
Post-whore
*Connie*

Number of posts : 3705

PostSubject: Re: Should i let light in?   Should i let light in? Empty5/30/2009, 5:46 pm

Just a towel at the front is all that is needed. I know its a nightmare but it will be worth it for a happy, healthy surviving brood...AND even if you dont and she munches them (she wont) at least then you wont be stressing over something you cant control.
Back to top Go down
http://healingfromwithin.heavenforum.com/index.htm
Kejser
Administrator
Kejser

Number of posts : 1373

PostSubject: Re: Should i let light in?   Should i let light in? Empty5/30/2009, 6:30 pm

scorpion111 wrote:
personally, I would take the towel off. but JUST so the scorpion can tell the difference between night and day. if you are gunna have lights on at night or such then sure put the towel on, just to keep things as natural as possible.

How does a scorpion that lives under a rock or in a deep hole like some Hadrurus sp. are found know when its day or night??
Back to top Go down
scorpion111
Post-whore
scorpion111

PostSubject: Re: Should i let light in?   Should i let light in? Empty5/30/2009, 7:58 pm

differences in temperature, humidity, etc.. I just figured nocturnal animals would be able to tell the difference between night and day due to differences in light.
Back to top Go down
Kejser
Administrator
Kejser

Number of posts : 1373

PostSubject: Re: Should i let light in?   Should i let light in? Empty5/31/2009, 3:03 am

scorpion111 wrote:
differences in temperature, humidity, etc.. I just figured nocturnal animals would be able to tell the difference between night and day due to differences in light.

Well scorps burrow to control they temp and humdity and Hadrurus burrow pretty deep so no light or temp/humdity changes
or light for that matter whould come down there.. but they still know the difference between day and night..
Back to top Go down
corpselight
Babycurus

Number of posts : 251
Registration date : 2008-08-08

PostSubject: Re: Should i let light in?   Should i let light in? Empty5/31/2009, 11:01 am

quite cool isn't it? i've read the day night cycle is rather important, but hadn't had a chance to discuss it much with people, but it does seem logical, as they hide during the hot day and emerge at night when it's actually quite cold...amazing they know when to do it!
but then i reckon it's pretty amazing that birds, which are normally not the brightest of animals, know when it's time to migrate...and also get the direction right Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

Number of posts : 7743

PostSubject: Re: Should i let light in?   Should i let light in? Empty6/1/2009, 11:30 am

As Kejser pointed out, day / night rhythms aren't that important to scorps, and dark is better.

In the case of a towel over the tank for the sake of babies (something the OP probably should have mentioned in his first post), just leave the towel on the whole time. Unless your towel is made of vinyl, I wouldn't be concerned about ventilation.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Should i let light in?   Should i let light in? Empty

Back to top Go down

Should i let light in?
Page 1 of 1