The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

Hadrurus substrate question.

Go down 
+3
Kuma
scorpion111
The-Scorp-Whisperer
7 posters
AuthorMessage
The-Scorp-Whisperer
Tityus
The-Scorp-Whisperer

Number of posts : 539
Registration date : 2008-12-16

Hadrurus substrate question. Empty
PostSubject: Hadrurus substrate question.   Hadrurus substrate question. Empty5/22/2009, 8:09 am

Im gonna be gettin a Hadrurus Arizonensis in the next few days and im just drying out some sand for its substrate but its quite course, sharp builders sand which puts wee scuff marks on the plastic tubs im drying it in, is this safe for them or will i just grind down their cuticle, the reason im using it is cuase there was a 20kg bag of it in my garden and im not gonna spend a tenner for 4 kilos of calci sand!
Back to top Go down
http://www.bebo.com/The_Scorp_Whisperer
scorpion111
Post-whore
scorpion111

Number of posts : 3455
Registration date : 2008-04-07

PostSubject: Re: Hadrurus substrate question.   Hadrurus substrate question. Empty5/22/2009, 1:04 pm

it should be fine.. thy are used to burrowing in harsh soils.
Back to top Go down
Kuma
Tityus
Kuma

Number of posts : 839
Registration date : 2008-09-29

PostSubject: Re: Hadrurus substrate question.   Hadrurus substrate question. Empty5/22/2009, 1:47 pm

Kids play sand is good, and its cheap! There could be other materials in the builders sand making it unsuitable, but i may be wrong
Back to top Go down
LadyRiotControl
Leiurus
LadyRiotControl

Number of posts : 2631
Registration date : 2008-07-12

PostSubject: Re: Hadrurus substrate question.   Hadrurus substrate question. Empty5/22/2009, 4:51 pm

I use kids sand or silver sand, never had a problem with either and both cheap Very Happy

Although I have brought this up sooooo many times lately lol, mix 1 part bentonite clay with 14 parts sand (or composite substrate) Once it dries the substrate is solid enough not to collapse and brittle enough to be dug away by the scorpion. fantastic stuff Very Happy

another plus is that if you want to reuse the substrate, just wet it down and you can remould it again. I swear by the stuff now.
Back to top Go down
The-Scorp-Whisperer
Tityus
The-Scorp-Whisperer

PostSubject: Re: Hadrurus substrate question.   Hadrurus substrate question. Empty5/22/2009, 7:02 pm

the only thing thats in the sand other than sand is tiny wee stones but i suppose they live in pebbly sand in the wild so its sound i was just worried about how abrasive it is eh
Back to top Go down
Scorpis
Babycurus
Scorpis

Number of posts : 254
Registration date : 2008-08-01

PostSubject: Re: Hadrurus substrate question.   Hadrurus substrate question. Empty5/25/2009, 2:49 am

Why use sand at all? i had my H.spadix couple in a substrate i made, Sand/soil/vermeculite/leafs/gravel..

Its not natural with just sand. Btw, my Androctonus australis / tunisia (all 40 of them) i use minimum of sand to them, most of it is soil (maybe 80/20 - soil/sand)..
Gives them the chance of digging, and digging to a bit more humid place when needed.
Back to top Go down
Kuma
Tityus
Kuma

PostSubject: Re: Hadrurus substrate question.   Hadrurus substrate question. Empty5/25/2009, 5:14 am

Sounds like a good idea if kept dry!
Back to top Go down
The-Scorp-Whisperer
Tityus
The-Scorp-Whisperer

PostSubject: Re: Hadrurus substrate question.   Hadrurus substrate question. Empty5/25/2009, 7:05 am

hmmm spose ill do that then Very Happy its gonna be a pain to break up the big brick of coco fibre i have into poweder by hand lol
Back to top Go down
Kuma
Tityus
Kuma

PostSubject: Re: Hadrurus substrate question.   Hadrurus substrate question. Empty5/25/2009, 7:37 am

soak it in water then once its expanded and crumbled, leave it to dry. Coir dosnt take long to dry out at all
Back to top Go down
The-Scorp-Whisperer
Tityus
The-Scorp-Whisperer

PostSubject: Re: Hadrurus substrate question.   Hadrurus substrate question. Empty5/25/2009, 7:40 am

yeah but it needs to be dry by tomorrow cause thats when the scorps arriving. it doesnt take long to powder the bricks by hand anyways just makes ur hands tired Laughing
Back to top Go down
Kuma
Tityus
Kuma

PostSubject: Re: Hadrurus substrate question.   Hadrurus substrate question. Empty5/25/2009, 8:04 am

didnt know it was possible it break it by hand and i'd assume you'd get a fraction of the ammount of substrate doing it that way as opposed to soaking it.

If you squeeze it out and spread it out flat it should dry quickly
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

Number of posts : 7743
Registration date : 2008-02-06

PostSubject: Re: Hadrurus substrate question.   Hadrurus substrate question. Empty5/25/2009, 11:46 am

You can speed up the drying by layering it flat (as Kuma said) and then sticking it in a low-temperature oven.
Back to top Go down
The-Scorp-Whisperer
Tityus
The-Scorp-Whisperer

PostSubject: Re: Hadrurus substrate question.   Hadrurus substrate question. Empty5/25/2009, 8:49 pm

Kuma wrote:
didnt know it was possible it break it by hand and i'd assume you'd get a fraction of the ammount of substrate doing it that way as opposed to soaking it.

If you squeeze it out and spread it out flat it should dry quickly

Nah alll u need to do it break a wee bit off then rub it in ur hand till its all broken up also filters out any long stringy bits the factory missed Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Kuma
Tityus
Kuma

PostSubject: Re: Hadrurus substrate question.   Hadrurus substrate question. Empty5/26/2009, 5:53 am

sounds like hard work! lol
Back to top Go down
The-Scorp-Whisperer
Tityus
The-Scorp-Whisperer

PostSubject: Re: Hadrurus substrate question.   Hadrurus substrate question. Empty5/26/2009, 6:05 am

it is likes but what would you rtaher do have it down in 5 mins or wait all day for it to dry out lol its pretty mingin when it squeaks too makes ye cringe! bit like cotton wool does Puke lol
Back to top Go down
Kuma
Tityus
Kuma

PostSubject: Re: Hadrurus substrate question.   Hadrurus substrate question. Empty5/26/2009, 6:14 am

Mr. Mordax wrote:
You can speed up the drying by layering it flat (as Kuma said) and then sticking it in a low-temperature oven.
Back to top Go down
The-Scorp-Whisperer
Tityus
The-Scorp-Whisperer

PostSubject: Re: Hadrurus substrate question.   Hadrurus substrate question. Empty5/26/2009, 6:23 am

ovens busted ¬_¬ somehow
Back to top Go down
thumpersalley
Hadogenes
thumpersalley

Number of posts : 58
Registration date : 2008-10-18

PostSubject: Re: Hadrurus substrate question.   Hadrurus substrate question. Empty8/16/2009, 6:44 pm

I use sterilized river loam. Compacts & is movable like sand. Kim
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hadrurus substrate question.   Hadrurus substrate question. Empty

Back to top Go down

Hadrurus substrate question.
Page 1 of 1