The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

Best material for good burrowing

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Kuma
Tityus
Kuma

Number of posts : 839
Registration date : 2008-09-29

Best material for good burrowing Empty
PostSubject: Best material for good burrowing   Best material for good burrowing Empty4/26/2009, 5:38 pm

Was wondering what is the best materials for burrowing? Especially for desert species as sand just caves in. My desert hairy is in a mixture of sand and coir say 70/30 as i've heard that they burrow.

What do others suggest?
Back to top Go down
LadyRiotControl
Leiurus
LadyRiotControl

Number of posts : 2631
Registration date : 2008-07-12

PostSubject: Re: Best material for good burrowing   Best material for good burrowing Empty4/26/2009, 6:27 pm

sand a coir will do.

but using bentonite clay will really bind the sand. hard enough not to collapse but brittle enough for the scorpion to burrow into
you want 1 part clay to 14 parts sand (or composite substrate)
cheapest on ebay for small quantities, found a good seller for the stuff so pm me if you want the link.
Back to top Go down
Kuma
Tityus
Kuma

PostSubject: Re: Best material for good burrowing   Best material for good burrowing Empty4/26/2009, 6:36 pm

Ok if you could send me the link that would be good, btw what is bentonite clay and can it only be used with sand then?
Back to top Go down
LadyRiotControl
Leiurus
LadyRiotControl

Number of posts : 2631
Registration date : 2008-07-12

PostSubject: Re: Best material for good burrowing   Best material for good burrowing Empty4/26/2009, 6:42 pm

it has, like, 101 uses lol. it is used in blast furnace, clay modelling, beauty treatments etc etc.

you mix this in with your sandy substrate and let it dry. if deep substrate let it dry in layers otherwise you will be waiting aaaages for it to dry at the bottom!

and the good thing is, when you want to use it again after it has dried, just add water and it's malleable again.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

Number of posts : 7743
Registration date : 2008-02-06

PostSubject: Re: Best material for good burrowing   Best material for good burrowing Empty4/26/2009, 11:02 pm

I use Excavator clay. Mix it to 30% with sand, wet it, let it dry, and make a "starter burrow" depression. Holds burrows up great.
Back to top Go down
Kuma
Tityus
Kuma

PostSubject: Re: Best material for good burrowing   Best material for good burrowing Empty4/27/2009, 5:13 am

Ok and you get excavator clay from where Mr. Mordax? Good to know all the options
Back to top Go down
mrflibble
Centruroides
mrflibble

Number of posts : 222
Registration date : 2008-11-29

PostSubject: Re: Best material for good burrowing   Best material for good burrowing Empty4/27/2009, 8:10 am

you can get excavator clay in some reptile shops but it isnt all that common, and it can be pretty pricey
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

Number of posts : 7743
Registration date : 2008-02-06

PostSubject: Re: Best material for good burrowing   Best material for good burrowing Empty4/27/2009, 12:06 pm

I got it from Petco for around $10, so it shouldn't be that expensive. You don't need a whole lot, either -- it should only make up 30% of the substrate.

Best material for good burrowing PPETS-4555818_alternate1_t400
Back to top Go down
mrflibble
Centruroides
mrflibble

Number of posts : 222
Registration date : 2008-11-29

PostSubject: Re: Best material for good burrowing   Best material for good burrowing Empty4/27/2009, 12:34 pm

i went to a shop today which was selling medium sized bags of the stuff for £17
Back to top Go down
Kuma
Tityus
Kuma

PostSubject: Re: Best material for good burrowing   Best material for good burrowing Empty4/27/2009, 12:47 pm

Never seen the stuff, but what Lisa's suggested seems pretty good!
Back to top Go down
Kuma
Tityus
Kuma

PostSubject: Re: Best material for good burrowing   Best material for good burrowing Empty5/5/2009, 5:30 am

LadyRiotControl wrote:
sand a coir will do.

but using bentonite clay will really bind the sand. hard enough not to collapse but brittle enough for the scorpion to burrow into
you want 1 part clay to 14 parts sand (or composite substrate)
cheapest on ebay for small quantities, found a good seller for the stuff so pm me if you want the link.

Ok I've had a package of bentonite clay arrive today, my H. arizonsis is on a mixture of coir and sand substrate, can i mix the bentonite with this?
Back to top Go down
Kuma
Tityus
Kuma

PostSubject: Re: Best material for good burrowing   Best material for good burrowing Empty5/5/2009, 12:11 pm

and do i need to wet the clay first?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Best material for good burrowing   Best material for good burrowing Empty

Back to top Go down

Best material for good burrowing
Page 1 of 1