The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

Need Help...Mites!

Go down 
+2
diabollicallycursed
galaxy_junk
6 posters
AuthorMessage
galaxy_junk
Pandinus

Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2009-03-26

Need Help...Mites! Empty
PostSubject: Need Help...Mites!   Need Help...Mites! Empty3/26/2009, 7:46 pm

Two of my Emperor Scorpions have mites. The mites are very small and white. I have observed them crawling through the substrate and on the scorpions themselves.

I want to know if these kinds of mites are harmful and if so how to get rid of them. I cannot find a supplier of the predatory mites in my area to feed on these small white mites.

Are there any other methods of ridding them?

Someone mentioned to me they might be wood mites and that they do not have a long lifespan and need moist substrate for egg production. Would removing the scorpions from the infected enclosure to a dry holding carrier with paper towel eliminate the problem in a few days?
Back to top Go down
diabollicallycursed
Babycurus
diabollicallycursed

Number of posts : 365

Need Help...Mites! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need Help...Mites!   Need Help...Mites! Empty3/26/2009, 8:28 pm

Moving them might stress them out. I have heard of methods using iso-propylene 99% but I would try and research the method before just rubbing your scorpion with a cotton ball soaked in rubbing alcohol.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

Number of posts : 7743
Registration date : 2008-02-06

Need Help...Mites! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need Help...Mites!   Need Help...Mites! Empty3/26/2009, 8:53 pm

If they're moving, and on the substrate as well as the scorpion, they're nothing to worry about.

Bad mites congregate in HUGE numbers around a scorpion's joints and don't move.
Back to top Go down
scorpion111
Post-whore
scorpion111

Number of posts : 3455
Registration date : 2008-04-07

Need Help...Mites! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need Help...Mites!   Need Help...Mites! Empty3/26/2009, 8:55 pm

yes.. these sound like good ones to me. no need to get rid of them, they are benificial to your scorpion by keeping the bad ones away.
Back to top Go down
galaxy_junk
Pandinus

Need Help...Mites! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need Help...Mites!   Need Help...Mites! Empty3/26/2009, 9:18 pm

I check them both, and the one appears to have very small off-white coloured mites on his prosoma, on the sides above his legs. Not a huge number of them but still, how could I deal with them?
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

Need Help...Mites! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need Help...Mites!   Need Help...Mites! Empty3/26/2009, 9:32 pm

If they're gathering specifically on the membranes between sections of exoskeleton and AREN'T running around, you can either introduce predator mites or move the scorpion to a "hospital tank" -- dry paper towels for substrate and a small water dish. The water should be enough for the scorpion to drink but not enough to raise humidity and favor the mites.

Post a pic, if you can, and we can confirm what sort of mites you have.
Back to top Go down
galaxy_junk
Pandinus

Need Help...Mites! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need Help...Mites!   Need Help...Mites! Empty3/26/2009, 9:34 pm

I will have to wait to get a pic up as my camera is not working. I have moved them to their dry tanks with the paper towel...I can't get the predator mites, so is there anything else I can do?
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

Need Help...Mites! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need Help...Mites!   Need Help...Mites! Empty3/26/2009, 9:40 pm

Check your more humid enclosures -- there's probably some running around on the substrate.

I'm kind of busy right now or I'd look up a picture of the bad mites. Try doing a search for "grain mites" and you should see what I'm talking about. Infestations don't happen very often in the hobby so until I see pics I'm thinking you might just have predatory mites.
Back to top Go down
galaxy_junk
Pandinus

Need Help...Mites! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need Help...Mites!   Need Help...Mites! Empty3/26/2009, 9:49 pm

from what I looked up the grain mites are red?
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

Need Help...Mites! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need Help...Mites!   Need Help...Mites! Empty3/26/2009, 10:45 pm

No, they're tiny and white and don't move around.
Back to top Go down
scorpion111
Post-whore
scorpion111

Number of posts : 3455
Registration date : 2008-04-07

Need Help...Mites! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need Help...Mites!   Need Help...Mites! Empty3/27/2009, 12:37 pm

these are the bad ones.. Need Help...Mites! Acariens11
Back to top Go down
*Connie*
Post-whore
*Connie*

Number of posts : 3705

Need Help...Mites! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need Help...Mites!   Need Help...Mites! Empty3/27/2009, 1:18 pm

^^eugh that poor scorpion^^

I know the moving mites are good but I always end up cleaning out the tank, a full clean...and since then I have had no problem which is annoying because now I know how good the cleaner mites are *doh* I always just got rid of them

But, I would say if the population got too much...then it mightstress out the scorpion...so upto you what you do
Back to top Go down
http://healingfromwithin.heavenforum.com/index.htm
Deathstalker
Centruroides
Deathstalker

Number of posts : 224
Registration date : 2009-03-06

Need Help...Mites! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need Help...Mites!   Need Help...Mites! Empty3/27/2009, 4:36 pm

I'll have to remember that, moving mites are good!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Need Help...Mites! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need Help...Mites!   Need Help...Mites! Empty

Back to top Go down

Need Help...Mites!
Page 1 of 1