The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

Chinese Fire Bellied Newt, Cynops orientalis

Go down 
+4
Lester
~Abyss~
GideonSmith08
rafiqos
8 posters
AuthorMessage
rafiqos
Centruroides
rafiqos

Number of posts : 104
Registration date : 2008-04-21

Chinese Fire Bellied Newt, Cynops orientalis Empty
PostSubject: Chinese Fire Bellied Newt, Cynops orientalis   Chinese Fire Bellied Newt, Cynops orientalis Empty3/24/2009, 9:00 pm

Hi guys, I don't post on SF very often. But today, I have decided to start sharing some pics of my newts. The Chinese Fire Bellied newt possibly was one of my earliest experience with amphibians. They were fairly common in the local fish shops back when I was in primary school, close to some 20 years back. Brought home a few and kept them for a few months, before they began going MIA one by one. It turned out they were masterful escape artists, I was lucky enough to catch my last one scaling up the silicone lining of the glass tank. She stayed with me for a few more months before perishing.

Last year, I noticed more of these cuties up for sale and grabbed 10 heads without blinking an eye. This time around, I made a cover for the tank, LOL! So here goes, some pictures for shares. Smile

Chinese Fire Bellied Newt, Cynops orientalis 3152624214_a1695b57e3
Cynops orientalis

Chinese Fire Bellied Newt, Cynops orientalis 3152624218_791b8db475
Hence the name.
Back to top Go down
http://www.flickr.com/rafiqos
GideonSmith08
Centruroides
GideonSmith08

Number of posts : 170
Registration date : 2008-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Chinese Fire Bellied Newt, Cynops orientalis   Chinese Fire Bellied Newt, Cynops orientalis Empty3/24/2009, 10:13 pm

These look really cool. Are they easy to keep? I've been considering buying a few of these when I have the money.
Back to top Go down
~Abyss~
Administrator
~Abyss~

Number of posts : 6472
Registration date : 2008-02-05

PostSubject: Re: Chinese Fire Bellied Newt, Cynops orientalis   Chinese Fire Bellied Newt, Cynops orientalis Empty3/24/2009, 11:10 pm

Very nice looking.
Back to top Go down
https://scorpionforum.darkbb.com
Lester
Tityus
Lester

Number of posts : 505
Registration date : 2009-03-14

PostSubject: Re: Chinese Fire Bellied Newt, Cynops orientalis   Chinese Fire Bellied Newt, Cynops orientalis Empty3/25/2009, 11:11 am

lol hi raq

didn't knw u keeps newts too

cheers
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

Number of posts : 7743
Registration date : 2008-02-06

PostSubject: Re: Chinese Fire Bellied Newt, Cynops orientalis   Chinese Fire Bellied Newt, Cynops orientalis Empty3/25/2009, 1:20 pm

Those look awesome! Very Happy

Our native newts have incredibly poisonous skin secretions; I don't know about C. orientalis, but I'd wash my hands after handling.
Back to top Go down
scorpion111
Post-whore
scorpion111

Number of posts : 3455
Registration date : 2008-04-07

PostSubject: Re: Chinese Fire Bellied Newt, Cynops orientalis   Chinese Fire Bellied Newt, Cynops orientalis Empty3/25/2009, 3:24 pm

very cool.. and I heard about certain newt species being very toxic, californian newts or something like that. scratch
Back to top Go down
mrflibble
Centruroides
mrflibble

Number of posts : 222
Registration date : 2008-11-29

PostSubject: Re: Chinese Fire Bellied Newt, Cynops orientalis   Chinese Fire Bellied Newt, Cynops orientalis Empty3/25/2009, 6:56 pm

id wash hands before handling as well as i think that the various sebaceous excretions can be harmful to the delicate amphibian skin
Back to top Go down
rafiqos
Centruroides
rafiqos

PostSubject: Re: Chinese Fire Bellied Newt, Cynops orientalis   Chinese Fire Bellied Newt, Cynops orientalis Empty3/25/2009, 8:23 pm

Thanks people.

I am aware of how dangerous newts can prove to be. Firebellies are mildly poisonous. With Cynops orientalis, it is very important to remember not to handle them with open cuts. The poison can only enter thru open wounds/cuts, not by absorption thru the cutaneous layer.

However, its always wise not to take things for granted. I always wash up after handling any one of my animals - for fear of something else, SALMONELLA! Lol!

Thanks for the reminder of washing my hands prior and after handling. You guys obviously love me and my newts to bits.Razz

@mrflibble - Thank you for the advice on washing before handling as well. This I have almost never done.
Back to top Go down
bjaeger
Leiurus
bjaeger

Number of posts : 2282
Registration date : 2008-04-29

PostSubject: Re: Chinese Fire Bellied Newt, Cynops orientalis   Chinese Fire Bellied Newt, Cynops orientalis Empty3/25/2009, 11:29 pm

Nice newt. I've probably kept some before Smile
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/brandonjaeger
rafiqos
Centruroides
rafiqos

PostSubject: Re: Chinese Fire Bellied Newt, Cynops orientalis   Chinese Fire Bellied Newt, Cynops orientalis Empty4/26/2009, 9:45 pm

Went ahead and got myself another 10 of these cuties last week. Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Chinese Fire Bellied Newt, Cynops orientalis   Chinese Fire Bellied Newt, Cynops orientalis Empty

Back to top Go down

Chinese Fire Bellied Newt, Cynops orientalis
Page 1 of 1