The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

Hadgones paucidens topped himself!!

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Kuma
Tityus
Kuma

Number of posts : 839
Registration date : 2008-09-29

Hadgones paucidens topped himself!! Empty
PostSubject: Hadgones paucidens topped himself!!   Hadgones paucidens topped himself!! Empty1/20/2009, 11:25 am

My male Hadgones paucidens hadnt seemed to have eaten for a while so i was a little concerned that it wasnt getting any moisture along with my Caraboctonus keyserlingi so thinking i was doing them a favour i put a small milk bottle cap in water in their enclosures. Now first off my Caraboctonus went straight in there, I didnt want it to drown so i tipped out most of the water to make it very shallow...

A few hours later i went back and it was laying in the shallow water, motionless with its tail flat out! Quickly i tailed it and there was no response so i assumed the worst. Gutted as this is one i thought gravid!

I put it back in its enclose and posed it in threat position as i thought of keeping it and left it to dry out, still motionless. The next day i touched it and saw small signs of life. so i've been prodding her abit to get her moving. She doesnt seem the same, but i'll have to wait and see.

Now i done the same with a bottle cap of water for my Hadgones and he done the same, dived headfirst, straight in. Being a larger species i thought nothing of it as even his chela couldnt even fit in the cap..

Low and behold hours later i find he's just kept his head there and drowned himself!!!!

What was that all about??

So just one more Hadgones paucidens left and i think its only fitting to create a new topic with the good news.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

Number of posts : 7743
Registration date : 2008-02-06

PostSubject: Re: Hadgones paucidens topped himself!!   Hadgones paucidens topped himself!! Empty1/20/2009, 11:51 am

Scorpions don't breathe through their mouths; if his head was all that was in there, he couldn't have drowned.

Let him dry out and see what happens.

In the future, just try misting a corner of the substrate; I've seen scorpions pull moisture out of it without great difficulty.
Back to top Go down
Kuma
Tityus
Kuma

PostSubject: Re: Hadgones paucidens topped himself!!   Hadgones paucidens topped himself!! Empty1/20/2009, 11:58 am

Too late he's defo dead now... he's in a jar of alcohol....

But a cricket had been eating him before that...

How'd he die then? he was pretty large and the cap was pretty small??
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

PostSubject: Re: Hadgones paucidens topped himself!!   Hadgones paucidens topped himself!! Empty1/20/2009, 12:19 pm

I honestly have no idea how he died . . . sounds like he was dead regardless of the water, if the cricket was munching him.
Back to top Go down
Kuma
Tityus
Kuma

PostSubject: Re: Hadgones paucidens topped himself!!   Hadgones paucidens topped himself!! Empty1/20/2009, 12:28 pm

??????Strange? The cricket munched him after he was motionless in the water...

... He's always been sprighty and was just as when i put the water in there?
Back to top Go down
AshMashMash
Babycurus
AshMashMash

Number of posts : 294
Registration date : 2009-01-14

PostSubject: Re: Hadgones paucidens topped himself!!   Hadgones paucidens topped himself!! Empty1/20/2009, 12:41 pm

Oh dear :S I keep a small shallow water bowl in with all of mine, including my two Hadgones, just in case, though it does try out occassionally. RIP Sad
Back to top Go down
_scorpio_
Androctonus
_scorpio_

Number of posts : 1827
Registration date : 2008-04-11

PostSubject: Re: Hadgones paucidens topped himself!!   Hadgones paucidens topped himself!! Empty1/20/2009, 4:05 pm

could there have been something in the water? like bleach or something?
Back to top Go down
scorpion111
Post-whore
scorpion111

Number of posts : 3455
Registration date : 2008-04-07

PostSubject: Re: Hadgones paucidens topped himself!!   Hadgones paucidens topped himself!! Empty1/20/2009, 5:49 pm

^^

that's what I'm thinking. perhaps there is a high concentration in your water supply that was lethal to the scorpions?
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

PostSubject: Re: Hadgones paucidens topped himself!!   Hadgones paucidens topped himself!! Empty1/21/2009, 12:53 am

If you think it may be something like that, leave your bug-water standing for a day or two. That will let all the chlorine evaporate.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hadgones paucidens topped himself!!   Hadgones paucidens topped himself!! Empty

Back to top Go down

Hadgones paucidens topped himself!!
Page 1 of 1