The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

A bit of a conundrum

Go down 
+4
Canth
scorpion111
~Abyss~
Mr. Mordax
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

Number of posts : 7743
Registration date : 2008-02-06

A bit of a conundrum Empty
PostSubject: A bit of a conundrum   A bit of a conundrum Empty12/2/2008, 7:32 pm

I stopped at the local pet store today, and saw an adult Babycurus sp. for only $30.

The thing is huge, but it also has bulbous pinchers. So I don't know if it's a female B. jacksoni or a male B. gigas. The store's invoice when they got it only gave a common name.

Obviously, if it's the former, I'd love to get it. There's just two problems -- I'm not absolutely sure that's what it is, and Lori and I are pretty much broke until January 5th.

EPIC SIGH.

Speaking of common names, does "golden thick-tail" mean Androctonus amoreuxi? 'Cause the owner didn't want to carry M. martensii after I described the sting reports to him (yeah, I know Babycurus spp. are worse and he's carrying those).

Oh, and it sounds like they'll be getting in Hadrurus spadix soon. Smile Too bad I'm moving towards communal-only species.
Back to top Go down
~Abyss~
Administrator
~Abyss~

Number of posts : 6472
Registration date : 2008-02-05

PostSubject: Re: A bit of a conundrum   A bit of a conundrum Empty12/2/2008, 7:33 pm

Give me your paypal I'll loan you a few bucks.
Back to top Go down
https://scorpionforum.darkbb.com
scorpion111
Post-whore
scorpion111

Number of posts : 3455
Registration date : 2008-04-07

PostSubject: Re: A bit of a conundrum   A bit of a conundrum Empty12/2/2008, 7:35 pm

awwww, that sucks dude.yeah, I think "golden fat tail" is amoureuxi, seeing as the austrailis' last few metasomal segments are dark.

and I hope you get that spadix, those are stunning scorpions. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Canth
Babycurus
Canth

Number of posts : 299
Registration date : 2008-06-30

PostSubject: Re: A bit of a conundrum   A bit of a conundrum Empty12/2/2008, 11:34 pm

Maybe you can ask the shop person to hold it for you until then? Wish I could help but I'm pretty much broke as well.

What color is the scorp?
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

PostSubject: Re: A bit of a conundrum   A bit of a conundrum Empty12/3/2008, 12:49 am

Eddy, Lori glared at me and said "no!" Razz

Jordan, while spadix are sweet, I'm staying away from solitary species. At least, if someone gets it knows nothing and assumes "scorpion = desert" then they won't kill this one. Smile

Jared, I might just ask him that. He's a pretty cool guy to work with. The scorp was sort of a darker burnt-orange color.

Comparing my memory of this afternoon to my preserved specimens, she seemed to be a little larger than my female but with chela as proportionately large as my male. tongue
Back to top Go down
~Abyss~
Administrator
~Abyss~

PostSubject: Re: A bit of a conundrum   A bit of a conundrum Empty12/3/2008, 12:58 am

it sound like gigas to me. PM your paypal if you change your mind this might just be oppertunity passing you by.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

PostSubject: Re: A bit of a conundrum   A bit of a conundrum Empty12/3/2008, 1:12 am

How opportunistic is it to buy a male of a species I never see? scratch
Back to top Go down
_scorpio_
Androctonus
_scorpio_

Number of posts : 1827
Registration date : 2008-04-11

PostSubject: Re: A bit of a conundrum   A bit of a conundrum Empty12/3/2008, 12:32 pm

Mr. Mordax wrote:

Jordan, while spadix are sweet, I'm staying away from solitary species. At least, if someone gets it knows nothing and assumes "scorpion = desert" then they won't kill this one. Smile
he is calum i am jordan!!
Back to top Go down
Kejser
Administrator
Kejser

Number of posts : 1373

PostSubject: Re: A bit of a conundrum   A bit of a conundrum Empty12/3/2008, 1:16 pm

Well B.gigas is around 9cm or more..
Back to top Go down
scorpion111
Post-whore
scorpion111

PostSubject: Re: A bit of a conundrum   A bit of a conundrum Empty12/3/2008, 1:28 pm

OI!

calum... well me, jordan... _scorpio_

Razz
Back to top Go down
~Abyss~
Administrator
~Abyss~

PostSubject: Re: A bit of a conundrum   A bit of a conundrum Empty12/3/2008, 7:29 pm

Mr. Mordax wrote:
How opportunistic is it to buy a male of a species I never see? scratch
You only need the female to breed. And I'm sure you can get loans from people who have them and I happen to know a few.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

PostSubject: Re: A bit of a conundrum   A bit of a conundrum Empty12/4/2008, 12:18 am

Based on what Kejser said about size, I'm wondering if it's not a huge B. jacksoni, 'cause I don't think it's as big as B. gigas. I need to go back and get a closer look (or show you guys a picture).

To the two UK kids -- I scrolled up enough to see a black-and-white avatar and thought it was the bottom of a scorpion's pinchers. That's what you get for changing your avatars so much! Razz
Back to top Go down
~Abyss~
Administrator
~Abyss~

PostSubject: Re: A bit of a conundrum   A bit of a conundrum Empty12/4/2008, 12:22 am

defiantly take a pic with size comparison . B gigas. are exactly like jacks just a whole lot bigger. If you kept b. jacks for a while you can easily ID the gigas.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

PostSubject: Re: A bit of a conundrum   A bit of a conundrum Empty12/4/2008, 12:29 am

My last B. jacksoni died . . . um, quite a while ago. Spring? I forget. scratch I've got the preserved male / female pair that made it to adulthood. Do you think it would be overstepping my bounds as a customer if I took those into the shop and photographed for a size comparison?
Back to top Go down
Kejser
Administrator
Kejser

PostSubject: Re: A bit of a conundrum   A bit of a conundrum Empty12/4/2008, 6:22 am

http://venomlist.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=23293
Look at the colors

and look at the size

http://venomlist.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=22510&hl=gigas

I have a really huge B.jacks but she aint a B.gigas
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

PostSubject: Re: A bit of a conundrum   A bit of a conundrum Empty12/10/2008, 5:12 pm

I went back and took a picture . . .

A bit of a conundrum 12100811

On the left is their scorp, on the right is my (deceased) male B. jacksoni.

I texted a small version of this pic to Eddy and Jared -- Eddy said B. gigas, Jared said B. jacksoni.

The size difference looks about like the pic Kejser linked.

Either way, I know now that it's definitely male, so I'm decidedly less interested than I was originally.
Back to top Go down
scorpion111
Post-whore
scorpion111

PostSubject: Re: A bit of a conundrum   A bit of a conundrum Empty12/10/2008, 5:28 pm

I think that is a Gigas.. look at the size of that thing.
Back to top Go down
Kejser
Administrator
Kejser

PostSubject: Re: A bit of a conundrum   A bit of a conundrum Empty12/10/2008, 5:29 pm

iam going to say B.jacksonii
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

PostSubject: Re: A bit of a conundrum   A bit of a conundrum Empty12/10/2008, 7:01 pm

Same picture, edited.

A bit of a conundrum 12100812

So would you just say it's a very large male B. jacksoni, Kejser?

My male's mesosoma could have shrunk a little during the preservation process, but this one's pedipalps and metasoma seem much more robust.
Back to top Go down
~Abyss~
Administrator
~Abyss~

PostSubject: Re: A bit of a conundrum   A bit of a conundrum Empty12/10/2008, 7:40 pm

Like I said I've seen "small" gigas only a bit bigger than jacksonii at shows.
Back to top Go down
*Connie*
Post-whore
*Connie*

Number of posts : 3705

PostSubject: Re: A bit of a conundrum   A bit of a conundrum Empty12/11/2008, 10:19 am

have you been back yet? I say go for it to be honest Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://healingfromwithin.heavenforum.com/index.htm
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

PostSubject: Re: A bit of a conundrum   A bit of a conundrum Empty12/11/2008, 1:34 pm

Either way, it's a male for certain, so I'm distinctly less interested. If I'm going to get an adult male of a species, I'd like to know how old it is so I have a chance to find a mate before he kicks the bucket.

Like my immature C. margaritatus -- if it turns out to be a male, I'll know as soon as it matures and have the best shot at finding a female (or vice-versa).
Back to top Go down
thumpersalley
Hadogenes
thumpersalley

Number of posts : 58
Registration date : 2008-10-18

PostSubject: Re: A bit of a conundrum   A bit of a conundrum Empty8/17/2009, 1:42 pm

Mr. Mordax wrote:
My last B. jacksoni died . . . um, quite a while ago. Spring? I forget. scratch I've got the preserved male / female pair that made it to adulthood. Do you think it would be overstepping my bounds as a customer if I took those into the shop and photographed for a size comparison?

If your talking about the pet store in Corvallis, go ahead & overstep your customer bounds. The guys an unethical jerk. He will either let you do it, which Im sure he will, or not. Kim
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

PostSubject: Re: A bit of a conundrum   A bit of a conundrum Empty8/17/2009, 8:37 pm

Um . . . this was quite a while ago (December '08). I did bring in my specimen for a comparison and decided it was just a very large male B. jacksoni. The folks at this particular store are fairly nice but more or less uninformed when it comes to scorpions.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A bit of a conundrum   A bit of a conundrum Empty

Back to top Go down

A bit of a conundrum
Page 1 of 1