The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

Pandinus Cavimanus Question

Go down 
+2
Venom
*Connie*
6 posters
AuthorMessage
*Connie*
Post-whore
*Connie*

Number of posts : 3705
Registration date : 2008-02-06

Pandinus Cavimanus Question Empty
PostSubject: Pandinus Cavimanus Question   Pandinus Cavimanus Question Empty2/16/2008, 4:21 pm

Hey guys. I know im a noob but im interested and willing to learn...

now I thought the "red claw" was a humidity "tropical" scorpion. Am I correct? Can this scorpion be homed on sand? Im only asking because in a shop today while looking for a small tank I saw a red claw in a sand set up...and made me think "have I got what I thought wrong"...it just looked so dried up. A very young red claw.

But...if ive got it wrong please let me know...as I nearly parted with £35 to buy the baby! not that I can spend that much! anyhoo!

Just a quick question.

xxxxxxxx
Back to top Go down
http://healingfromwithin.heavenforum.com/index.htm
Venom
Centruroides suffusus
Venom

Number of posts : 2834
Registration date : 2008-02-05

PostSubject: Re: Pandinus Cavimanus Question   Pandinus Cavimanus Question Empty2/16/2008, 5:06 pm

No, they need high humidity, not as high as emp, but definitely not sand dry.
Back to top Go down
redknee
Tityus

Number of posts : 662
Location : Sw. Georgia, Home of the Hentzi King and the C. hentzi army

PostSubject: Re: Pandinus Cavimanus Question   Pandinus Cavimanus Question Empty2/16/2008, 7:16 pm

venom is right on the red claw of how it should be kept

do not house them with sand
Back to top Go down
*Connie*
Post-whore
*Connie*

PostSubject: Re: Pandinus Cavimanus Question   Pandinus Cavimanus Question Empty2/16/2008, 8:10 pm

IT LOOKED LIKE A DRIED UP SPIDER WITH ITS LEGS BASICALLY CURLING! POOR THING!
DOUBT SHOP WOULD HAVE LISTENED AS THEY DIDNT HAVE TIME TO TALK TO ME ABOUT ANYTHING!
STUFF FIRST WRITTEN AT THE BOTTOM
HAVE TO TYPE LIKE THIS AND EVEN THE WAY I TYPE IS GOING BACKWARD
WISH I HAD COMPLAINED NOW ABOUT THE CONDITIONS FOR THE POOR RED CLAW!
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

Number of posts : 7743

PostSubject: Re: Pandinus Cavimanus Question   Pandinus Cavimanus Question Empty2/16/2008, 9:50 pm

You can complain, but it probably wouldn't do a whole lot. There seems to be a widespread misconception that all scorpions are desert creatures. Mad Some people actually listen, but most shop people will just brush you off.

Much as Petco frustrates me sometimes, at least they know to keep their forest scorpions on coco fiber.
Back to top Go down
*Connie*
Post-whore
*Connie*

PostSubject: Re: Pandinus Cavimanus Question   Pandinus Cavimanus Question Empty2/17/2008, 2:47 am

I am going to phone them today about it! Is there a desert "Pandinus Cavimanus" that maybe they have got confused with?

It was so tiny and it was in a corner, facing a vertical position and looked...well like a dried up spider would if it had died or dying.

I always saw that shop as better then the one we go to! But all their tarantula's didnt seem to have their little hides/hidey holes that they normally have! there was this beautiful and very expensive...urm...mexican red knee? pink knee? for sale and wow it was impressive BUT was out in the open. I said to Adam about it and he said "well they want to sell them" but I said to him there should also be care and they all have lights on top of them! I wont be giving my babies to that place! that's for sure!

I might see if he will phone them when they are open as im too emotionally upset! he not as "involved" with caring like I am, so maybe he will tell them their mistake and not end up having an arguement! I know they will just think im stupid, the customer telling them of mistakes but wow. Its such a BIG mistake they have made! It was bad service in there yesterday anyways!

xxxx
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

PostSubject: Re: Pandinus Cavimanus Question   Pandinus Cavimanus Question Empty2/17/2008, 4:00 am

There's no desert P. cavimanus . . . chances are they don't know squat about what they're selling, but it could have been some completely different desert species (unless it was labelled as P. cavimanus).

I'd suggest not supporting such an establisment, and telling your friends to avoid them.
Back to top Go down
*Connie*
Post-whore
*Connie*

PostSubject: Re: Pandinus Cavimanus Question   Pandinus Cavimanus Question Empty2/17/2008, 4:01 am

Ive phoned RSPCA! emergency case and think they are going today!

It said "Red claw scorpion" on the side and by looking at it I knew it was a red claw.

Ive told her about the Tarantulas with no hides and under lights. Ive been told NOT to call now ive reported it as they might figure out who I am etc

xxx
Back to top Go down
Venom
Centruroides suffusus
Venom

Number of posts : 2834
Registration date : 2008-02-05

PostSubject: Re: Pandinus Cavimanus Question   Pandinus Cavimanus Question Empty2/17/2008, 10:40 am

Owned
I mean good job.
Keep us updated.
Back to top Go down
g-thing
Hadogenes
g-thing

Number of posts : 83

PostSubject: Re: Pandinus Cavimanus Question   Pandinus Cavimanus Question Empty2/17/2008, 12:21 pm

when you educate people that dont want to listen other means halve to be done
myself i prefer beating but might get ya in trouble
Back to top Go down
http://venomlist.com
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

PostSubject: Re: Pandinus Cavimanus Question   Pandinus Cavimanus Question Empty2/17/2008, 1:12 pm

Kudos! Let us know how it turns out.
Back to top Go down
*Connie*
Post-whore
*Connie*

PostSubject: Re: Pandinus Cavimanus Question   Pandinus Cavimanus Question Empty2/17/2008, 3:49 pm

Ive been told they will contact me when the case is closed. So that could be...whenever! but at least I know something should be done! I just hope they get to the scorpion in time! Needs recovery STAT!

xxxx
Back to top Go down
*Connie*
Post-whore
*Connie*

PostSubject: Re: Pandinus Cavimanus Question   Pandinus Cavimanus Question Empty4/26/2008, 6:07 pm

ok. update!

RSPCA still not contacted me, but today we had to go to the same shop for plantation soil for me to change the babies.

I ran to the scorpion/Tarantula section and was SHOCKED and pleased to see that ALL tarantulas now have hides and nice thick substrate and even what seems to be live plants!
No water bowl but what looks like water gel...a step in the right direction.

No scorpions, only Pandinus Imperator. on wood chips...but at least its not a cavimanus on sand under a heat lamp!

ooh they had loads of spiderlings! Some in containers with labels and ooooh!
*slaps wrist* no Connie, dont go getting into spiders now!

Anyhoo! Shop not closed down but clearly RSPCA gave them a kick up their bum...only thing...not ALL tarantulas are from hot tropical places? Surely some need different substrate...oh I shouldnt moan! they had hides!

xxxxxxx
Back to top Go down
scorpion111
Post-whore
scorpion111

Number of posts : 3455
Registration date : 2008-04-07

PostSubject: Re: Pandinus Cavimanus Question   Pandinus Cavimanus Question Empty4/26/2008, 6:27 pm

good for you connie! and the RSPCA!
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

PostSubject: Re: Pandinus Cavimanus Question   Pandinus Cavimanus Question Empty4/26/2008, 7:49 pm

Good job! Very Happy!

Now they just need to get that emperor on some nice substrate.

And all tarantulas are from warm climates, so no worries there. There's a few desert species, but if it's something they can burrow in, then they're fine.
Back to top Go down
*Connie*
Post-whore
*Connie*

PostSubject: Re: Pandinus Cavimanus Question   Pandinus Cavimanus Question Empty4/27/2008, 3:53 am

its the plantation soil they all had. But I did like how hides were provided, some live plants..and even if fake...it looked better!
The Tarantulas were out and about BUT I know now it was from their own choice and not because they didnt have one.

Im glad it all got sorted out for them and better care.

xxxx
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Pandinus Cavimanus Question   Pandinus Cavimanus Question Empty

Back to top Go down

Pandinus Cavimanus Question
Page 1 of 1