The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

The Mighty Cobra - Snakes in (da) Hoods!

Go down 
+7
bjaeger
Venom
Mr. Mordax
nymphetaminion
lycanlord
scorpion111
LXDNG79
11 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
LXDNG79
Tityus
LXDNG79

Number of posts : 605
Registration date : 2008-10-16

The Mighty Cobra - Snakes in (da) Hoods! Empty
PostSubject: The Mighty Cobra - Snakes in (da) Hoods!   The Mighty Cobra - Snakes in (da) Hoods! Empty10/26/2008, 4:27 pm

Midnight - my Equatorial Black Spiting Cobra (Naja sumatrana); rescued from a house call by a friend as a baby
The Mighty Cobra - Snakes in (da) Hoods! Midnig10
not a baby anymore
The Mighty Cobra - Snakes in (da) Hoods! Shots_10
Likes to posse for the camera
The Mighty Cobra - Snakes in (da) Hoods! Shots_11
The Mighty Cobra - Snakes in (da) Hoods! Shots_12
The Mighty Cobra - Snakes in (da) Hoods! Shots_13
This is a full view of his enclosure
The Mighty Cobra - Snakes in (da) Hoods! Midnig11
He's also a movie star. Find him on YouTube at

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_HCKEtHH8Y or

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCsM_8ZMGQk

He likes to hide in the skull most of the time which aids in cleaning his tank.
(Secure skull+snake inside in separate container with snake hook)
My only hot snake. I don't intend to handle him for any reason... not gonna risk it especially if no hospitals in Malaysia stock anti-venom of any kind.

Not originally endemic to the Peninsula, they were imported from Thailand by the thousands to quell rodent infestation in oil palm plantations during the 70s. Since then they have become part of the of the local fauna.

Last edited by LXDNG79 on 11/13/2008, 4:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
scorpion111
Post-whore
scorpion111

Number of posts : 3455
Registration date : 2008-04-07

PostSubject: Re: The Mighty Cobra - Snakes in (da) Hoods!   The Mighty Cobra - Snakes in (da) Hoods! Empty10/26/2008, 4:38 pm

that is a BEAUTIFUL snake, I love cobras.
Back to top Go down
lycanlord
Leiurus
lycanlord

Number of posts : 2916
Registration date : 2008-06-03

PostSubject: Re: The Mighty Cobra - Snakes in (da) Hoods!   The Mighty Cobra - Snakes in (da) Hoods! Empty10/26/2008, 5:12 pm

nice to see you psted midnight up. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
nymphetaminion
Tityus
nymphetaminion

Number of posts : 668
Registration date : 2008-02-06

PostSubject: Re: The Mighty Cobra - Snakes in (da) Hoods!   The Mighty Cobra - Snakes in (da) Hoods! Empty10/26/2008, 5:24 pm

That's an amazing snake...not something i'd own..but WOW thats a beauty!!!
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

Number of posts : 7743

PostSubject: Re: The Mighty Cobra - Snakes in (da) Hoods!   The Mighty Cobra - Snakes in (da) Hoods! Empty10/26/2008, 5:31 pm

Nice one -- I'm glad to see that the enclosure is quite tall and has three latches.

So have you ever had to "distract" him with a decoy that looks like it has eyes to keep him from spitting at you? I've seen videos where they mistake the zipper pulls on a backpack for eyes quite easily.
Back to top Go down
Venom
Centruroides suffusus
Venom

Number of posts : 2834
Registration date : 2008-02-05

PostSubject: Re: The Mighty Cobra - Snakes in (da) Hoods!   The Mighty Cobra - Snakes in (da) Hoods! Empty10/26/2008, 7:21 pm

That's a beautiful snake. I would love one.
Back to top Go down
LXDNG79
Tityus
LXDNG79

PostSubject: Re: The Mighty Cobra - Snakes in (da) Hoods!   The Mighty Cobra - Snakes in (da) Hoods! Empty10/26/2008, 9:01 pm

thnx guys... and for clarification there are 7 latches... all due respect to people who attempt intimate communion with such creatures by free-handling. But there are still things in this world I have left to do. Smile
Back to top Go down
bjaeger
Leiurus
bjaeger

Number of posts : 2282
Registration date : 2008-04-29

PostSubject: Re: The Mighty Cobra - Snakes in (da) Hoods!   The Mighty Cobra - Snakes in (da) Hoods! Empty10/26/2008, 9:10 pm

Awesome snake!! He looks fast as all hell!

OT: Isn't LQ venom more potent than a cobra's?
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/brandonjaeger
nymphetaminion
Tityus
nymphetaminion

PostSubject: Re: The Mighty Cobra - Snakes in (da) Hoods!   The Mighty Cobra - Snakes in (da) Hoods! Empty10/26/2008, 10:33 pm

probly is...but a cobra would inject way more in one bite than an LQ i presume...id have to check to make sure..but thats my assumption Suspect feel free to correct me lol
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

PostSubject: Re: The Mighty Cobra - Snakes in (da) Hoods!   The Mighty Cobra - Snakes in (da) Hoods! Empty10/27/2008, 12:19 am

I think Gabe got it right -- a scorpion can only inject a tiny drop of venom, but if you've ever seen footage of a cobra spitting, they can produce a LOT of venom.
Back to top Go down
lycanlord
Leiurus
lycanlord

PostSubject: Re: The Mighty Cobra - Snakes in (da) Hoods!   The Mighty Cobra - Snakes in (da) Hoods! Empty10/27/2008, 9:08 am

haha more than alot they look lke lil super soakers
Back to top Go down
scorpion111
Post-whore
scorpion111

PostSubject: Re: The Mighty Cobra - Snakes in (da) Hoods!   The Mighty Cobra - Snakes in (da) Hoods! Empty10/27/2008, 12:12 pm

Razz
Back to top Go down
LadyRiotControl
Leiurus
LadyRiotControl

Number of posts : 2631
Registration date : 2008-07-12

PostSubject: Re: The Mighty Cobra - Snakes in (da) Hoods!   The Mighty Cobra - Snakes in (da) Hoods! Empty10/27/2008, 5:35 pm

that is one very beautiful snake. great that you posted it.
Back to top Go down
~Abyss~
Administrator
~Abyss~

Number of posts : 6472
Registration date : 2008-02-05

PostSubject: Re: The Mighty Cobra - Snakes in (da) Hoods!   The Mighty Cobra - Snakes in (da) Hoods! Empty10/27/2008, 7:13 pm

Looks cute as a baby.
Back to top Go down
https://scorpionforum.darkbb.com
sliprep66
Babycurus
sliprep66

Number of posts : 384
Registration date : 2008-06-05

PostSubject: Re: The Mighty Cobra - Snakes in (da) Hoods!   The Mighty Cobra - Snakes in (da) Hoods! Empty10/31/2008, 4:13 pm

man thats awesome i always wanted a viper but i dont think im ever going to get one Very Happy
Back to top Go down
LXDNG79
Tityus
LXDNG79

PostSubject: Re: The Mighty Cobra - Snakes in (da) Hoods!   The Mighty Cobra - Snakes in (da) Hoods! Empty11/14/2008, 1:36 pm

Guess what guys... On my first night back in my hometown of Kuching in Borneo (Sarawak, Malaysia) I bagged this beauty Steve Irwin style while road herpin with me in-laws. Crazy
The Mighty Cobra - Snakes in (da) Hoods! Beauty12
A full-grown 4ft long Equatorial Spitting Cobra (Naja sumatrana) off-roading on some rural village back tracks. Saw this black streak slidin across the road, leaped out of the jeep and pulled him back by the tail. I was out lookin for scorps and I found a cobra instead so I was rather unprepared and unequipped. I start yellin for them to find a stick to help me pin this guy down. They were so helpful I think I heard them close the door on me.... lol But I bet they were freaked. This guy was so big he wasn't even phased by me.
The Mighty Cobra - Snakes in (da) Hoods! Beauty11
Eventually pinned him down with a stick and grabbed him back of the head... That's a 1st for me. The head twisted around in my grip so I had to drop him and start again. Sacked him to an empty water holder and I just trembled to my knees. What a rush!!! I gathered he didn't spit at me cos it was dark and he couldn't get a fix on my head cos later at home to get him out of the water holder he spat a 3 ft stream which landed on my knee. This guy is one bad boy... Bellows like a hurricane too.

Now I gotta figure what to do with him before I leave... Might let him loose in some forest reserve. All in a nights work... No scorps that night however. But boy did I come home with one hell of a tale.
Back to top Go down
nymphetaminion
Tityus
nymphetaminion

PostSubject: Re: The Mighty Cobra - Snakes in (da) Hoods!   The Mighty Cobra - Snakes in (da) Hoods! Empty11/14/2008, 2:15 pm

Very nice!!!!!!and quite some guts to just bag a cobra unequipped lol...but such a nice catch Very Happy
Back to top Go down
_scorpio_
Androctonus
_scorpio_

Number of posts : 1827
Registration date : 2008-04-11

PostSubject: Re: The Mighty Cobra - Snakes in (da) Hoods!   The Mighty Cobra - Snakes in (da) Hoods! Empty11/14/2008, 4:19 pm

why not try breeding it with your other one?
Back to top Go down
bjaeger
Leiurus
bjaeger

Number of posts : 2282
Registration date : 2008-04-29

PostSubject: Re: The Mighty Cobra - Snakes in (da) Hoods!   The Mighty Cobra - Snakes in (da) Hoods! Empty11/14/2008, 5:57 pm

You're so lucky that you can find cool stuff like that in your location!! Me... Well I'm lucky if I find ANY herps around here. I can't even go scorp collecting because I live in the ONLY section of the US that doesn't have any (Northeast).

You're crazy for going out and collecting them yourself lol. Especially having to substitute sticks for snake hooks ;x
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/brandonjaeger
scorpion111
Post-whore
scorpion111

PostSubject: Re: The Mighty Cobra - Snakes in (da) Hoods!   The Mighty Cobra - Snakes in (da) Hoods! Empty11/14/2008, 6:02 pm

That is one hell of a snake!
Back to top Go down
lycanlord
Leiurus
lycanlord

PostSubject: Re: The Mighty Cobra - Snakes in (da) Hoods!   The Mighty Cobra - Snakes in (da) Hoods! Empty11/14/2008, 7:28 pm

I love your lil antics haha, i wish i could have been there, i would love to tackle some cobras but as you know im mainly interested in naja naja, id love to find a good 10 footer
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

PostSubject: Re: The Mighty Cobra - Snakes in (da) Hoods!   The Mighty Cobra - Snakes in (da) Hoods! Empty11/15/2008, 1:25 pm

Can I say "holy crap?!!?"
Back to top Go down
LXDNG79
Tityus
LXDNG79

PostSubject: Re: The Mighty Cobra - Snakes in (da) Hoods!   The Mighty Cobra - Snakes in (da) Hoods! Empty11/16/2008, 1:06 pm

Oh man, I' not sure if remember doing anything so daring. I dunno what came over me, I was just so excited to find and "pull a Steve Irwin" back in my hometown. But I think I'll stay away from stingrays lol...

Well I do feel truly blessed to come form where I am... and it breaks my heart to see all the deforestation going around. I'm put up a post on Hike and hunts after this about my latest collecting trip. Got some nice goodies too.

If any of you guys come down to Malaysia... PM me... I'll hook you up. Cheap lodging and I'll be more than happy to personally take you up to the countryside for some herpin if I'm free. Just give me a heads up so I can schedule myself.

Oh scorpio... I live in Kuala Lumpur. That photo is taken in Borneo while I visited my home town for the holidays. I can't really bring back a snake on the plane, unless I wanna star in Samuel L. Kackson sequel. Also I think the two snakes vary vastly in age and to be honest I haven't sexed them yet.

It is a beauty though but if I can't find anyone to take him, I'll have to find a place to release him.

Anyone know anyone in Kuching who would adopt an adult Equatorial Spitting Cobra?
Back to top Go down
lycanlord
Leiurus
lycanlord

PostSubject: Re: The Mighty Cobra - Snakes in (da) Hoods!   The Mighty Cobra - Snakes in (da) Hoods! Empty11/16/2008, 1:50 pm

I would love to rehome it Smile
but i dontn live in kuching, anybody wanna help rehome me>?
Back to top Go down
scorpion111
Post-whore
scorpion111

PostSubject: Re: The Mighty Cobra - Snakes in (da) Hoods!   The Mighty Cobra - Snakes in (da) Hoods! Empty11/16/2008, 1:59 pm

lol, I'd love to go herping in malaysia! must be some pretty interesting stuff there. What a Face
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Mighty Cobra - Snakes in (da) Hoods!   The Mighty Cobra - Snakes in (da) Hoods! Empty

Back to top Go down

The Mighty Cobra - Snakes in (da) Hoods!
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next