The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

Heterometrus spinifer... gravid? UP DATE

Go down 
+6
lycanlord
scorpion111
Kejser
Mr. Mordax
*Connie*
electrophyste
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
electrophyste
Babycurus
electrophyste

Number of posts : 357
Registration date : 2008-05-09

Heterometrus spinifer...  gravid? UP DATE Empty
PostSubject: Heterometrus spinifer... gravid? UP DATE   Heterometrus spinifer...  gravid? UP DATE Empty8/5/2008, 2:56 am

So i dont really see her too often and today i was sorting through all the stuff around our reptile room were the scorps are and i found this nice piece of rainbow rock to put in her tank as a new hide and i picked up her old hide and bam there she was in all her glory and she is HUGE take a look
what do you think fatty or gravid? i feed her 2 crickets a week if that
Heterometrus spinifer...  gravid? UP DATE Picture9322
Heterometrus spinifer...  gravid? UP DATE Picture9323
Heterometrus spinifer...  gravid? UP DATE Picture9328
Heterometrus spinifer...  gravid? UP DATE Picture9330

Last edited by electrophyste on 8/20/2008, 3:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
*Connie*
Post-whore
*Connie*

Number of posts : 3705
Registration date : 2008-02-06

PostSubject: Re: Heterometrus spinifer... gravid? UP DATE   Heterometrus spinifer...  gravid? UP DATE Empty8/5/2008, 3:11 am

Its very likely. Mine looks like that *dont know what mine is yet 100%*. Only bigger still!
Give it a bit more time. When you can see the cord along the back then you know for sure!
Back to top Go down
http://healingfromwithin.heavenforum.com/index.htm
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

Number of posts : 7743

PostSubject: Re: Heterometrus spinifer... gravid? UP DATE   Heterometrus spinifer...  gravid? UP DATE Empty8/5/2008, 3:19 pm

I wouldn't say for sure just yet . . . as Connie said about the cord:

Heterometrus spinifer...  gravid? UP DATE IMG_5401

That was my female H. longimanus shortly before she gave birth.
Back to top Go down
Kejser
Administrator
Kejser

Number of posts : 1373

PostSubject: Re: Heterometrus spinifer... gravid? UP DATE   Heterometrus spinifer...  gravid? UP DATE Empty8/5/2008, 3:57 pm

we well need to invent prego tests for scorps... fatty can mean 2 things.. molt or prego.. its hard to know either at some points..
Back to top Go down
electrophyste
Babycurus
electrophyste

PostSubject: Re: Heterometrus spinifer... gravid? UP DATE   Heterometrus spinifer...  gravid? UP DATE Empty8/5/2008, 10:51 pm

well she is adult so the pre molt is outa the question she just seems to get bigger n bigger
Back to top Go down
scorpion111
Post-whore
scorpion111

Number of posts : 3455
Registration date : 2008-04-07

PostSubject: Re: Heterometrus spinifer... gravid? UP DATE   Heterometrus spinifer...  gravid? UP DATE Empty8/6/2008, 5:10 am

i think someone is gonna be a mother. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
lycanlord
Leiurus
lycanlord

Number of posts : 2916
Registration date : 2008-06-03

PostSubject: Re: Heterometrus spinifer... gravid? UP DATE   Heterometrus spinifer...  gravid? UP DATE Empty8/6/2008, 6:48 am

hmm a pregnancy test for scorpions, not too far fetched human pregnancy tests work for reptiles what you do is take the urates and dissolve them in a lil water then dip the test in, i guess you could try the same o=for a scorp but tbh i dont think they produce enough waste
Back to top Go down
Kejser
Administrator
Kejser

PostSubject: Re: Heterometrus spinifer... gravid? UP DATE   Heterometrus spinifer...  gravid? UP DATE Empty8/6/2008, 7:40 am

i really doubt that human prego tests work for scorps..
Back to top Go down
lycanlord
Leiurus
lycanlord

PostSubject: Re: Heterometrus spinifer... gravid? UP DATE   Heterometrus spinifer...  gravid? UP DATE Empty8/6/2008, 9:48 am

probably not, but i would bet there are some of the same chemicals you would find in humans, thus the reason it works for reptiles, i just dont think they would be sensitive enough.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

PostSubject: Re: Heterometrus spinifer... gravid? UP DATE   Heterometrus spinifer...  gravid? UP DATE Empty8/6/2008, 9:59 am

lycanlord19 wrote:
hmm a pregnancy test for scorpions

Hmm . . . something for me to work on in my off-time as a bioengineer . . . What a Face
Back to top Go down
lycanlord
Leiurus
lycanlord

PostSubject: Re: Heterometrus spinifer... gravid? UP DATE   Heterometrus spinifer...  gravid? UP DATE Empty8/6/2008, 10:01 am

yes i think you should do that, do you have any idea on weather or not the same chemicals would go round there body, its found in mammals and reptiles im not sure bout inverts?!?
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

PostSubject: Re: Heterometrus spinifer... gravid? UP DATE   Heterometrus spinifer...  gravid? UP DATE Empty8/6/2008, 10:31 am

I'll have to do hormonal testing on gravid vs. non-gravid vs. male specimens.
Back to top Go down
Kejser
Administrator
Kejser

PostSubject: Re: Heterometrus spinifer... gravid? UP DATE   Heterometrus spinifer...  gravid? UP DATE Empty8/6/2008, 10:39 am

That whould be insane to have a prego test for scorps.. and have a admin from here design it Very Happy muhahaa
Back to top Go down
lycanlord
Leiurus
lycanlord

PostSubject: Re: Heterometrus spinifer... gravid? UP DATE   Heterometrus spinifer...  gravid? UP DATE Empty8/6/2008, 11:01 am

it would be amazing, i think there body should carrie some levels of the hormone tested for in pregnancy (cant remember wha its called) but even then itd man disolving there poop and would there be enough of the hormone, after all there poop is tiny lmao
Back to top Go down
electrophyste
Babycurus
electrophyste

PostSubject: Re: Heterometrus spinifer... gravid? UP DATE   Heterometrus spinifer...  gravid? UP DATE Empty8/6/2008, 12:18 pm

Imagine the cost!
some home pregnancy tests are Very expensive
so could imagine a scorps.
Back to top Go down
*Connie*
Post-whore
*Connie*

PostSubject: Re: Heterometrus spinifer... gravid? UP DATE   Heterometrus spinifer...  gravid? UP DATE Empty8/6/2008, 1:51 pm

A test would be so much easier then the waiting game!
Back to top Go down
electrophyste
Babycurus
electrophyste

PostSubject: Re: Heterometrus spinifer... gravid? UP DATE   Heterometrus spinifer...  gravid? UP DATE Empty8/9/2008, 11:21 am

so ive been checking on her daily just to see if i can see anything
she has yet to make a burrow but i really never started one like i usually do
she seems like shes getting bigger still
i started one today for her and as soon as the lid went on she was in there:lol:
her cord in her back is a bit more prominent today.
i thought i seen a couple of whitish patches on her abdomen too so thats always a good sighn
Back to top Go down
LadyRiotControl
Leiurus
LadyRiotControl

Number of posts : 2631
Registration date : 2008-07-12

PostSubject: Re: Heterometrus spinifer... gravid? UP DATE   Heterometrus spinifer...  gravid? UP DATE Empty8/9/2008, 11:32 am

Aye it is. fingers crossed anyway. As for the burrow, sh might have needed you to start it. She may not have had the energy to start one lol.

I know when im pregnant and not far from sprogging I find it difficult to get about! May be its same with some scorps hehehe!
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

PostSubject: Re: Heterometrus spinifer... gravid? UP DATE   Heterometrus spinifer...  gravid? UP DATE Empty8/9/2008, 1:27 pm

A bit of advice with Hets -- the only one I had produce a brood somehow got stressed and moved out of her nice humid burrow into the dry part of the tank and all the babies just up and died.

As hard as it may be, when she pops, pretend that you don't have a scorpion for at least a week. I blame the deaths on the fact that it was my first brood and I couldn't help but peeling back the cardboard that was against her glass as a cover to check every day.
Back to top Go down
*Connie*
Post-whore
*Connie*

PostSubject: Re: Heterometrus spinifer... gravid? UP DATE   Heterometrus spinifer...  gravid? UP DATE Empty8/10/2008, 3:51 am

Sometimes scorpions dont make burrows.
The only ones in my care who have is my pandinus cavimanus and my pandinus imperator scorplings. All the others havent been bothered *rolls eyes*
But my pandinus Imperator *the mum to the scorplings* never, ever attempted to dig a burrow and I really never knew she was gravid as when I bought her she was sleek and thin, very much like the male...he died and then BOOM she expanded and then gave birth a few months after...randomly!

So...even if no burrow, im sure she will still birth as long as she has a hide to hide under

xxx
Back to top Go down
electrophyste
Babycurus
electrophyste

PostSubject: Re: Heterometrus spinifer... gravid? UP DATE   Heterometrus spinifer...  gravid? UP DATE Empty8/20/2008, 4:02 pm

my buddy came over today to get my flat rock and i was all hey you wanna see the Het shes prolly gonna pop soon so lift her hide andgo to pull her out and shes got SCORPLINGS!!!!
Motha <EDIT>!!!!!!!!!
So thats #2 preggo for me from the shop the flat rock i sold today you could see her cord too.

anyways. now im all excited to keep the hobby going now all i need is something canadas hobby doesnt have......:ponders:

but i cant wait to see these little guys grow now:D

So Mr. Mantids I have NO scorpion for 2 weeks! besides the misting. i covered her with some towels and im gonna leave her alone

Last edited by IHeartMantids on 8/21/2008, 9:50 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : asterisks still count)
Back to top Go down
nymphetaminion
Tityus
nymphetaminion

Number of posts : 668

PostSubject: Re: Heterometrus spinifer... gravid? UP DATE   Heterometrus spinifer...  gravid? UP DATE Empty8/20/2008, 4:33 pm

so we're 2 Canadians with Het. spinifer broods....we should make it the canadian scorpion Surprised
Back to top Go down
scorpion111
Post-whore
scorpion111

Number of posts : 3455
Registration date : 2008-04-07

PostSubject: Re: Heterometrus spinifer... gravid? UP DATE   Heterometrus spinifer...  gravid? UP DATE Empty8/20/2008, 4:57 pm

congrats. Smile scorplings are awsome.
Back to top Go down
*Connie*
Post-whore
*Connie*

PostSubject: Re: Heterometrus spinifer... gravid? UP DATE   Heterometrus spinifer...  gravid? UP DATE Empty8/20/2008, 5:10 pm

congratulations on the brood! now ignore her and the scorplings for about a week to 10 days hehehe

Mine at a week and one day and still not off the back *pouts* hurry up babies!
Back to top Go down
electrophyste
Babycurus
electrophyste

PostSubject: Re: Heterometrus spinifer... gravid? UP DATE   Heterometrus spinifer...  gravid? UP DATE Empty8/20/2008, 5:36 pm

Whow connie our broods are pritty close even for our P.Imps!

nymphetaminion
We Should there AMAZING. i love the look of these guys... i cant believe how small the babies are though.... i hope i didnt stress her out when i was trying to show my buddy how fat she was!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Heterometrus spinifer... gravid? UP DATE   Heterometrus spinifer...  gravid? UP DATE Empty

Back to top Go down

Heterometrus spinifer... gravid? UP DATE
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next